PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Object Into Pieces For Breaking

dankayaker
06-26-2008, 07:53 AM
I'm trying to do a simple object exploding into pieces. I can't get any of the LScript aftermarket ways to work (Crack-it, Break-it . .) . . .all I get is errors in 9.3 and 8.5.

So I need to know how to cut a simple object (box) into pieces so I can apply the collision and hard FX in Layout.

I already tried the knife tool and thought I was in fact making separate pieces but they are not moving apart when collided with . . . the hole box just bounces away.

thanks

dankayaker
06-26-2008, 08:11 AM
UPDATE:
I used the knife tool then selected the polys (pieces) . . . cut, then pasted back in and Layout recognizes them . .. now . .is there a better way (the knife is straight cuts . . .not organic looking. Also, my box is still hollow . . . how do I get it to be solid ?

prospector
06-26-2008, 08:51 AM
Use boolean, works perfect for what your looking for.

dankayaker
06-26-2008, 08:58 AM
Use boolean, works perfect for what your looking for.

Thanks,
Do you mean break an object into pieces by using the subtractive boolean feature ? If I subtracted a section, how would I replace it ?

prospector
06-26-2008, 09:06 AM
What it does is take the original object with your 'cutter' in second layer and cuts that piece to a new layer with all the inside geometry and leaves inside geometry on the original too, then move/ rotate 'cutter' and boolean again on original (what's left of it) and it will put this new piece on a new layer with all internal geometry.

to cut just make a ball with lots of polys (your descretion how much) then jitter it so it looks rough (like an asteroid).
Once you have cut the object totally, just highlite all the layers, cut/paste into 1 (DO NOT MERGE from this point on).
Dynamics collision will then break the object into it's respective parts.

prospector
06-26-2008, 09:08 AM
don't remember just what boolean operation does it, it's been so long, I know 1 does tho.

meshpig
06-26-2008, 09:19 AM
Also, my box is still hollow . . . how do I get it to be solid ?

Make polys, as in fill the gaps. Boolean is one way but you can drill too, or go conversely and cut and paste the object up with patching splines.

m

prospector
06-26-2008, 09:28 AM
HMMMM, Strange
Just tried it and now have sp-booleans...they just make the object go away with nothing left on mine.
Is this a bug?
No matter what one I try, the base object just goes away.

I know this use to work, but we only had boolean and not sp-booleans.
Will check into this and find a way

dankayaker
06-26-2008, 09:32 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll start with the boolean idea.
I was just successful getting "breakup" L-Script to work in Modeler so I have that as a back up.

Thanks !

prospector
06-26-2008, 09:43 AM
OK, something bad going on

No SP-Boolean works...just makes original object go away

Drill template doesn't work on some processes....just looks and stares at you like "you want me to do WHAT?"

I know this use to be done because I followed the 'Blowing up the shuttle" Video awhile back and that's just how the shuttle was made into pieces.

OK, now I'm on a mission :2guns:

meshpig
06-26-2008, 09:44 AM
HMMMM, Strange
Just tried it and now have sp-booleans...they just make the object go away with nothing left on mine.
Is this a bug?
No matter what one I try, the base object just goes away.

I know this use to work, but we only had boolean and not sp-booleans.
Will check into this and find a way

Time to get LWCAD if you don't already have it. Makes fussing about that sort of thing irrelevant.

m

Sensei
06-26-2008, 12:16 PM
William Vaughan in the first EasySplit http://easysplit.trueart.pl video used it for making a lot of glass parts for breaking it later in Layout.. Here is video with audio http://www2.trueart.pl/Products/Plug-Ins/EasySplit/Graphics/Movies/EasySplit_2.mov

Paul_Boland
06-26-2008, 12:52 PM
Dynmite and Blowup both do this and after years of working with the book and CD, I only noticed a few days ago that they both came free on the Inside Lightwave 8 books DVD :thumbsup:!!

prospector
06-26-2008, 12:59 PM
They do?
Where is my CD now?

prospector
06-26-2008, 01:01 PM
neither on is on flay :thumbsdow

creacon
06-26-2008, 01:08 PM
we used this in the past, haven't tried it in the latest lw versions:

http://www2.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~goetsch/C4/

creacon

I'm trying to do a simple object exploding into pieces. I can't get any of the LScript aftermarket ways to work (Crack-it, Break-it . .) . . .all I get is errors in 9.3 and 8.5.

So I need to know how to cut a simple object (box) into pieces so I can apply the collision and hard FX in Layout.

I already tried the knife tool and thought I was in fact making separate pieces but they are not moving apart when collided with . . . the hole box just bounces away.

thanks

Lamont
06-26-2008, 01:08 PM
neither on is on flay :thumbsdowI might have these. I have to dig around at home.

prospector
06-26-2008, 01:46 PM
OK, I'm not gonna name names, but will the person who took my inside LW 8 disk return it?
:hey:
Thank you

:D

Surrealist.
06-28-2008, 08:49 PM

thanks

First. The reason that they are not breaking apart is you have to cut and paste them after you make the slice. But even then, they won't be solid.

The reason you don't have to worry about this detail with crack it or other boolean solutions is that it is effectively doing that already.

The other thing to make sure of is that you have the hard effects object set to parts - you probably knew that, but just checking.

Crack it works for me here just fine in 9.9.1

What errors are you getting? And is it a solid closed object?

digefxgrp
06-28-2008, 09:47 PM
Crack it works for me here just fine in 9.9.1
Wow...you must be writting this from the future.:D

Crack_It also works fine using 9.3.1.

Surrealist.
06-28-2008, 10:10 PM
LOL! I didn't catch that. Of course I meant 9.3.1

And crack it seams to like solid objects and so do many of the boolean tools.