PDA

View Full Version : Light Colour Envelope Copying

06-26-2008, 07:05 AM
I know that after 10 years I should have worked out how to use the bin & everything in graph editor, but it still beats me.
I frequently have complicated lighting rigs (pre-visualising Rock concerts) with lots of lights with volumetrics swinging about as they do nowadays, & I can copy the byightness envelope from one light to another, but how on earth do I copy the set of 3 colour envelopes from one light to dozens of others without it taking a week?

Dodgy
06-26-2008, 05:28 PM
You could use expressions rather than copying, or set driven key. You'd need to add 3 expressions, one for r, g and b, then you could use a master light and apply the expressions to the rest of the lights.
The expression would look like this.
[Light.Color.R]

You could also use the light's own colour as a multiplier, say if you wanted a slightly different tint.

[Light.Color.R]*value

would be the expression.

Dodgy
06-26-2008, 05:35 PM
If you want to make the slave lights lag, you'd use the optional Time parameter.
[Light.Color.R, Time - 1]
for 1 second lag.

UnCommonGrafx
06-27-2008, 12:58 PM
Once those expressions are attached, they clone quite well, either on their own or with the particle system.

If it's grid work, even better as particles can be emitted from every point and a light particlefx'd from there. Instant grid lights that follow, with a lag, in color, intensity, motion, etc.
Lots of power there. A wild thought but let us have a set to be funkily wild with? ;)

Matt
06-27-2008, 02:59 PM
Just had a quick look, shameful that there is no way to do this easily.

Can't do it in the graph editor (because the channels don't show up until you've added an envelope)

Can't do it in the Scene Editor/Dope Sheet because you can't copy / paste _anything_ in there

Can't right click on colour 'E' buttons to bring up the popup menu that appears on non-colour 'E' buttons, it just opens the graph editor

I'm looking at LScript to see if this is easy to do.

Matt
06-27-2008, 05:00 PM
I'm looking at LScript to see if this is easy to do.

Bugger, not it's not, Miiiiiiiiike! Help! ;)

Dodgy
06-27-2008, 06:26 PM
Try this and let me know how you get on....
http://www.mikegreen.name/Files/MGCopyPasteKeys.zip

Matt
06-27-2008, 08:09 PM
Try this and let me know how you get on....
http://www.mikegreen.name/Files/MGCopyPasteKeys.zip

That works fantastic!

I did actually download and look at the code for this before you posted, looking to write my own, if I had installed and looked at it I would have realised it does the job already!

Nice one Mike, once again your scripts are just solid gold!

Adrian download Mike's script, it's exactly what you're after!

Cheers
Matt

tyrot
07-26-2008, 01:00 PM
dear mike

your fantastic script saved the day.. I just cant thank enough.mate..you just ROCK!

BEST