PDA

View Full Version : 5 Hours of Particle / Hypervoxel Training

kurv
06-25-2008, 11:21 PM
We just wanted to let you know about a new class coming up this weekend on Introduction to LightWave 3D Particles and Hypervoxels.

http://www.kurvstudios.com/images/newsletter/particles-sample.jpg

The call will be taught by Tim Dun, “aurora” on SpinQuad and NewTek forums. Tim has been working with particles and LightWave 3D for years. He spends his time coding behind the scenes, and helping developers with 3rd part plug-in’s for LightWave. When Tim taught a 2 hour session on Particles and Hypervoxels in Las Vegas last year the entire class was stunned, and we actually ran over by an hour from questions.

Now is your chance to see Tim Dunn live, and get one on one support directly from him. The class is a 6 part class for the low price of $69.95. Each part will be held on Saturdays at 4pm CST for approximately 1.5 hours.

Registration is limited and the class starts this coming weekend.

Worried about missing a class, no problem, you have a full week to view the free rebroadcast of any prior classes or to do homework and ask questions in the next class.

KURV studios will also provide you with the edited retail version of the class for you to own when it is available.

Again, registration is limited, save your place now and click on the registration link for the class.

Jörg
06-26-2008, 08:40 AM
After a long decade of waiting for this training :D I'm in!!!

Thanks for bringing the training to us all, I was a participant at the Friendsgraph last year and watched the Tim Dun training session (unfortunately it was only a one hour session), he did a great job there.

JJ

JohnMarchant
06-26-2008, 12:20 PM
Will we be able to get it later on DVD, im off on holiday and wont be around :):)

richdj
06-26-2008, 04:44 PM
I don't want to talk for Wes (Kurv), but yeah... Wes, I assume it will be, it better be, I'm at work, so can't make the live feed and need to see this.... Tim's a great guy and teacher, everyone should see this... I mean everyone......

Rich

aurora
06-27-2008, 08:44 AM
Hi Folks. The title is misleading. I have pretty much wrapped up my notes, sans the 6th session which the students can help decide what will be covered but it looks like its definitely over 9 hours, more like 10-12 of training (1.5-2 hours * 6 sessions). Plus I have a lot of the more complex scenes already setup and ready to rendered or already rendered and comped so no long waiting to see results.

My intent is to not just cover everything LW particles has to offer panel wise but to teach you how to look at and think about a pFX scene from concept to final comp. In addition in each session I'll be covering a special back end look at what particle systems really are all about, how collision and other dynamics really work, the difference between CG and scientific viz, whats up with fluids, all looking at the basics of math and programming and oh yeah I will cover, really lightly, scripting and plugin writing but no frets no knowledge of this is required to understand what we'll cover. And don't forget this is just the Introduction, deeper more advanced materials come after!

kurv
06-27-2008, 03:28 PM
Thought I would post the first weeks class agenda for you guys

---- Week 1 Class Agenda ----

Introduction to LW Particles and Hypervoxels
Week 1

- Introduction to this series
- No class on July 12!!!!
- What we will and won't cover
- What you should expect to get from this series
- Background Sessions
- Nature of future classes
- My LW setup

- Background Session 1
- Nature of particle systems
- Simple particle equations (see Particle Path.jpg)
- Particles in CG versus Scientific Viz
- Whats the deal with Fluids (Part 1)

- Particles in LW
- Pros and Cons of LW's current system
- Alternatives

- Types of Particles in LW
- Partigons
- Pros and Cons
- Shading, Lighting and Rendering
- Saving out to .lwo files
- Expensive
- Can't add directly to a Null via Properties
- Particles
- Pros and Cons
- Cheaper and easier to work with
- Its the type most commonly used
- Can't Texture them with Surface Editor
- Can't save them back out to .lwo files directly

- Ways to setup PFX (Particle Effects) in LW
- Add directly
- FXBrowser
- Objects
- Nulls
- Scripting & SDK
- We'll work almost exclusively with Null or Object based emitters

- Quick over view of Particle panels

- Setting up a remedial system
- Diagram reprise and how it relates to LW particles
- Start Frame
- Fixed
- Life Time
- The magic of 0
- Birth Rate (simple introduction more later)
- Particle Limit
- Gravity (simple introduction more later)
- Velocity (simple introduction more later)
- Calculating and FX_Start
- Visualizing particles
- Hypervoxels
- Size

- Particle Generation Part 1
- Nozzle
- Primitives
- Objects
- Parent/Child combinations (simple introduction more later)

- Homework (Setup a six point emitter system)
- Create 6 Null Emitters with the following settings (All sizes in meters)
Position Velocity Gravity
Name X Y Z X Y Z X Y Z
Null_X- -6 0 0 3 0 0 3 0 0
Null_X+ 6 0 0 -3 0 0 -3 0 0
Null_Y- 0 -6 0 0 3 0 0 3 0
Null_Y+ 0 6 0 0 -3 0 0 -3 0
Null_Z- 0 0 -6 0 0 3 0 0 3
Null_Z+ 0 0 6 0 0 -3 0 0 -3

Generator Size(X,Y,Z) = 0.2, 0.2, 0.2
Particle Life = 0
Everything else at defaults
Save scene file as ParticleBase_1.lws