PDA

View Full Version : TimeWarp

vanderwielen
06-25-2008, 12:13 PM
Has anyone seen a working demo of timewarp? Are the specs posted anywhere? Does it record program only or can you record a specfic camera or cameras? I carry my spare tricaster studio around in our truck and would implement it as a compliment to my show stoppers, but it's capabilities haven't been clearly defined.

SBowie
06-25-2008, 12:19 PM
On all systems with an Effects row on the Switcher, you can record either program output or the source on the Effects row.

BTW, this means that on TC Broadcast or VT[5] systems with the 66mHz card (and SX-84?) you can opt to send Effects out as a separate analog signal, which would allow a dedicated external "TimeWarp source" monitor. Of course in VT[5], you can also do this internally with an extra VT-Vision module.

bob anderson
07-10-2008, 01:36 AM
SBowie: same on the studio and broadcast.. at first i was confused as to why a seperate opt to the recorder would be useful..because i've spent my days making the effects bus do magic things..... but now in a sports shoot...now that i HAVE one.. i realise the power of the record effects bus

Bob Anderson

SBowie
07-10-2008, 06:34 AM
SBowie: same on the studio and broadcast.Really? I understood that (among TriCasters) only the Broadcast model had this feature. That's what it says here:

http://www.newtek.com/tricaster/compare.php

Have you found a way to do this on a Studio system, Bob?

...now that i HAVE one.. i realise the power of the record effects busExcellent! I'm going to claim a point then, since adding that ability was my idea. :D

jcupp
07-10-2008, 08:19 AM
I just got my TimeWarp l'll post a hands on review later today if I can.

jcupp
07-10-2008, 12:26 PM
My quick take on the Time Warp:
http://newteknews.blogspot.com/2008/07/newtek-timewarp-hands-on-review.html

DiscreetFX
07-10-2008, 02:51 PM
Nice blog jcupp.

Jim_C
07-10-2008, 04:49 PM
Is the Time Warp a self contained unit with a cpu/hard drive inside itself or is it using the brains and storage of whatever system it is hooked to?

SBowie
07-10-2008, 05:52 PM
It is a control surface, not a computer Jim.

Jim_C
07-10-2008, 06:08 PM

Hi Steve,

Yea, I knew it wasn't a full blown computer with OS etc etc... I just didn't know if there might be a hard drive in it for storage and some kind of cpu to help with the functions of it, or if it was just a ..well.. control surface... ;)

The point of the question, and probably what I should have just asked from the get go was to find out if using it adds any cpu cycles or hard drive lag to the system and how it works on systems that aren't quite modern day spec'ed.

SBowie
07-10-2008, 07:19 PM
It's not really adding any more load (to speak of) beyond what you might already be doing with a TC or VT, Jim. If you can record the program stream without issues now, and play a clip from a DDR at the same time, you should be gold.

ted
07-10-2008, 07:47 PM
Excellent! I'm going to claim a point then, since adding that ability was my idea. :D

Steve, you have about a Kazillion points in my book! :thumbsup:

billmi
07-11-2008, 05:33 AM

Maybe it's because I got into the office early this morning, and haven't yet shaken all of the sleep out of my head, but I believe that should have been delivered in Dr. McCoy Voice...
"Damnit Jim, it's a control surface, not a computer!"

SBowie
07-11-2008, 06:48 AM
You're right, of course Bill. And please don't ask - as I can neither confirm nor deny the use of dilithium crystals in containing the 'Warp' core.

Jim_C
07-11-2008, 07:09 AM
Not a bricklayer, or a psychiatrist, scientist or a physicist, not a mechanic, an engineer or a magician, nor an escalator or a flesh peddler. Just a country Doctor.

SBowie
07-11-2008, 08:01 AM
On reflection, and more caffeine - given the Engineering connotations, maybe it should have been Scotty's voice?

"Just before they went into warp, I beamed the whole kit and kaboodle into their engine room, where they'll be no tribble at all."

broll
07-17-2008, 02:39 PM
I just got the time warp and it is great, but trying to figure out how to change the effects bus to record a separate camera. I have the Tricaster Pro. Thank you, please explain

SBowie
07-17-2008, 03:10 PM
The setting for which stream is captured is found in the Record/Stream panel. (See Section 4.10 in the TC 2.x manual, or 2.3.1 in the TimeWarp manual for details.)

broll
07-17-2008, 04:28 PM
I just got mine figured it out. But a few questions about recording single camera or source, what buttons should be pressed or configured. Also want to record a full quality AVI for editing along with a wmv for playback over internet. I have tried and can not find my AVI.. Please help...[

Paul Lara
07-18-2008, 08:13 AM
Broll,
Update version 2.0 replaced AVI live capture with MPEG-2, but it is at the same bitrate and quality as before.