PDA

View Full Version : MIRAGE/Aura sold to TVPaint

sbrandt
06-25-2008, 10:50 AM
http://www.tvpaint.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=78

Medi8or
06-25-2008, 06:35 PM
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83826

(Aura wasn't sold. Aura was the name of TVPaint when sold by Newtek, and Mirage was the name when sold by Bauhaus.)

SBowie
06-25-2008, 07:50 PM
Aura belongs to NewTek, and it continues to ship as part of the VT[5] software suite.

adhesiveX
06-25-2008, 07:58 PM
I have Aura 1.0, is it possible to upgrade to version 2.0 through Newtek?

sbrandt
06-25-2008, 11:41 PM
(Aura wasn't sold. Aura was the name of TVPaint when sold by Newtek, and Mirage was the name when sold by Bauhaus.)

Okay, how about:
"MIRAGE (formally Aura) sold to TVPaint."

Bauhaus seemed pretty certain they'd sold Mirage to TVPaint.
A line on the old BauhausSoftware site says, "Bauhaus Software, Inc. has sold the Mirage Software Business to TVPaint."

I'm thrilled to hear Aura is still with NT.

When do you think Aura 3.0 will be released?

DiscreetFX
06-26-2008, 07:02 AM
@sbrandt

You know Aura 2.7 just shipped with VT[5] last year right?

SBowie
06-26-2008, 12:39 PM
When do you think Aura 3.0 will be released?I've no idea if it ever will, honestly - but you can probably guess that I'd be tickled to see it happen ... lots of other things on the front burners though, I suspect.

Verlon
06-26-2008, 01:59 PM
Somehow, 'upgrading' to TVPaint technology loses its luster when they can't even spell check the press release, never mind that it costs as much to upgrade as it does to buy a seat of Photoshop or After Effects.

For now, I think I will stick with Mirage.

Tom Wood
06-26-2008, 03:40 PM
For now, I think I will stick with Mirage.

Same here. But now I'm really dependent on the durability of the USB dongle. Treating it very gently from now on, like this: :hammer:

Medi8or
06-26-2008, 04:13 PM
Somehow, 'upgrading' to TVPaint technology loses its luster when they can't even spell check the press release, never mind that it costs as much to upgrade as it does to buy a seat of Photoshop or After Effects.Right.. The upgrade is €380, while a Photoshop seat is €920 (extended for €1430). But I guess Adobe is a bit more greedy here in Europe...

Verlon
06-26-2008, 07:36 PM
In the US - PHOTOSHOP (not the whole CS3 Suite) MSRP is $649
or $632 here.

http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-23102480-Photoshop-CS3/dp/B000NDIBYG

380 euros = $599.

TVPaint= French revenge for Adobe? :devil:

Medi8or
06-27-2008, 04:21 AM
TVPaint= French revenge for Adobe? :devil:I wouldn't call it that, as long as they have the same price in Europe and US.. Unless you guys see it as some form of punishment/revenge when you have to pay as much as we do. (you spoiled little bastads :D )

Verlon
06-27-2008, 05:30 AM
Yeah...when we have to pay as much as you do for the same product, we are clearly being robbed. We should really get a discount for undermining the British Empire back in the late eighteenth century.

Between that and how we really helped them promote their "french fries" to international fame, they really owe us a debt of honor.

...and then their is WWII.

cresshead
06-27-2008, 06:25 AM
well photoshop cs3 basic version is 485.98 inc vat from amazon.co.uk
and photoshop cs3 extended is 800.48 inc vat

one thing to keep in mind with tv paint is that you can run it on windows or mac ...with photoshop you'll need to BUY it all again....

for me upgrading from 8.5 standard to 9.pro is 511 inc vat [discount for now] but that's a bit too rich for me espcially as i'm ONLY look at the pro version to be able to have/use xsheet....i'll try the demo then have a think.

when you look at competing products such as toon boom studio [165 full version], tv paint pro looks expensive especially as an upgrade...i dunno...i'll have to play with the pro version and see if i can judge wether the extra 350 is worth the x sheet or not...as upgrading to tvpaint 9 standard is 150 inc vat.

i realise tv paint is pixel based animation and has more in common with photoshop, painter etc and the pro version of tvpaint has some fx compositing that can give similar results to say combustion or after effects...

i dunno i just feel their pricing maybe a little high...but then again what elese is there for pixel based animation with a good set of tools and not just a 'spec sheet' that doesn't translate into pro animation workflows?

tv paint def cuts the mustard on pixel based animation>>who's the competition...anyone?

Jim_C
06-27-2008, 06:46 AM
tv paint def cuts the mustard on pixel based animation>>who's the competition...anyone?

Well sadly, it use to be Mirage. ;)

With no competition it will be up to the market to decide what the TVP price should be, and this isn't the first place I've read of folks questioning the high price.

cresshead
06-27-2008, 02:01 PM
okay been having a look around the competition for tv paint looks to be flipbook pro

that costs $999 for the pro version and also includes the HDTV option so your not limited to standard tv res.

http://www.digicelinc.com/company.htm

so my options are 500 upgrade to tvpaint pro 9
or
500 for flipbook pro and HD plugin/option.

i'll try the demo of both and see where i go...i can always stay with tvpaint 8.5 also!
i do like tv paint...it's pretty darn good app..very solid..just want x sheet really!

also having a look at this too>>
http://www.toonboom.com/products/storyboardstd/

http://www.toonboom.com/img/products/storyboard/logoStoryboard_med.gif

cresshead
06-28-2008, 10:34 AM
you can of course hold frames in tvpaint with click dragging on a frame in the timeline in the standard version.

still adding x sheet to the standard version would be nice...

i'll probably upgrade to tvp9 standard or stay with tvp 8.5 standard and i'm looking at
demo versions of toon boom studio, toon boom storyboard, pap and flipbookpro currently.

Jim_C
06-28-2008, 11:32 AM
TV Paint is standard def only?

cresshead
06-28-2008, 11:55 AM
no, tvpaint can do any size of project and has pre built templates to select for
including 4k film and your standard 16:9, hdtv, pal, ntsc etc.

Jim_C
06-28-2008, 11:56 AM
Oh.. Ok.. thanks.. I misread the below....

okay been having a look around the competition for tv paint looks to be flipbook pro

that costs $999 for the pro version and also includes the HDTV option so your not limited to standard tv res.

cresshead
06-28-2008, 12:14 PM
ahh yeah to clarify, flipbook pro is limited to standard res tv unless you add on the $199 option to get HDTV

BigHache
06-29-2008, 10:27 PM
Depending on what you're wanting to do animation wise, there are other solutions.

RETAS!Pro for example, comes out of tokyo and is used quite extensively for cel animation. It's available as a suite of programs and has quite a hefty price tag if you were to buy all modules. It's geared specifically toward cel animation though, and if that's not what you wanted it might not be the best choice.

Animo is another option, again though considerably more than a license of Photoshop.

I played with either a demo of Mirage or TVPaint and kinda liked the brushes available. It seemed like a nice way to animate in non-traditional styles, maybe a la Alexander Petrov.