PDA

View Full Version : Installation Tips-Suggestions

jhogarty
06-25-2008, 08:18 AM
Hi,

I'm getting ready to install VT[5] on a new computer. I'd like to know if anyone has tips/suggestions on what to install, or not install as you have found conflicts. This computer will only be used for VT[5] and Lightwave[9].

So far I have loaded Windows XP with SP2. I've downloaded updated motherboard and video card drivers and will install today. I've also downloaded Firefox 3.0 which I plan on installing. (Can't stand IE.)

I have the main hard drive split into 2 partitions:
1. 50GB for the OS and system files (C:)
2. 450GB for all other files - plan on installing the VT[5] software here (N:)
3. My D: drive is my DVD/CD drive

So if anyone has some tips like, don't load this or that, I would appreciate the advice. The only other things I'm thinking about loading are:
1. Adobe Acrobat Reader
2. Quicktime

Thanks,

John...

jhogarty
06-25-2008, 09:08 PM
Well so far everything looks good. I'm keeping this box lean and mean so hopefully there will not be any conflicts. Prior to installing VT5 I did:

Win XP, with SP2
Mobo and Grfx card drivers
Firefox 3
Updated mobo audio and grfx card drivers
Acrobat Reader
Flash Player
Adobe Air
Quicktime
iTunes
Safari for Windows

Then I loaded VT5 and all the options that came with the install. Only item I de-selected during the install was Acrobat Reader.

So far this new box cost, with shipping and handling, has been $460. That was for a barebones kit of Case, 500w PS, DualCore 3.4Ghz, 3GB Ram, DVD/CD player/burner. Then added cpu fan and 512MB video card. Now I did have to put the pieces together. I decided to use my old Toasters case which is much better than the one I got with the Kit.

After I run some more tests I'll look at picking up 2, maybe 3, eSata drives for a Video drive. The box is very responsive and the few things I've tested so far are working.

Just a quick thanks to Lee S. who saw my chatter about what to do with my VT5 and suggested the box I got. If anyone else is looking for a low cost box and wants to know the specifics, just reply here and I'll post them. I can dig up the link Lee sent me which would take you to it - from Tiger-Direct.

Only thing to keep in mind is the mother board has 1 PCIe 1x, 1 PCIe 16x and 2 PCI. The video card I got went in the PCIe 16 slot and the cooling fan blocks 1 of the PCI cards. So my VT5Pro card is in the second PCI slot which has plenty of room. I'm going to get a PCIe 1x Firewire card as the mobo doesn't have any firewire ports.

J.

goodrichm
06-27-2008, 03:39 PM
Yes, please post the specifics. Thanks so much...MG

jhogarty
06-30-2008, 02:54 PM
Ok. This is the main system: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3947466&body=MAIN

I then added a PowerUp Socket775 cooling fan for $19.99 and XFX 8500 512MB PCI-Express Video card (about $75.00) It used to be a link on the right side but has since been replaced.

I did have the Power Supply that came with it die on me a day later so I need to RMA that. But I have a better Antec PS so I'm using that and my own case - a Lian Li.

I've been doing limited testing in my spare time and try to let the thing run for hours, and a couple of overnight runs. I have the Switcher up, three ToasterMonitors, three and three DDRs. I'm using the 16x9 and 4x3 sample files. Use the green screen shots with Live Matte and Live Set, which work amazingly well. Going to test with my HVX200 this weekend. I use the 4x3 sample files on the effects bus for some of the shots where the live set is not a closeup and you have the FX area.

I tried to find a PCIe Firewire card locally but had no luck. I did pick up a pair of 250GB drive which I striped together for a Video Drive. Then I tried for the heck of it, and it worked, to put my Firewire card in the PCI slot which is very close to the Video Card.

J.

goodrichm
07-01-2008, 09:10 AM
Looks like a good deal. Thanks again for sharing the details...MG

jhogarty
07-01-2008, 11:13 AM
Not a problem. I'm thankful it worked out as now I put some of those saving toward other gear. Possibly TimeWarp or the SX-84 (still wish newtek would have a smaller version, say half the size at half the cost or less *smile*)

J.

wvp
07-03-2008, 02:53 PM
Fox it http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php is a faster, leaner program than Adobe Acrobat Reader.

jhogarty
07-03-2008, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the tip Jeff. I've already installed Acrobat Reader, but I'll take a look.

J.

Jim_C
07-03-2008, 07:15 PM
Sadly, Foxit seems to slowly be bloating itself with media player add ons. I went to install a new version and it tried to wrangle me thru a pay service or something. Maybe I didn't look on the site long enough, but I ended up diggin up my old version out of storage.

This may have changed (hopefully) but in the past VT did not play well with iTunes on the same system. But if it's running well... then roll with it.
Just be careful of the myriad of start up apps and administrative services iTunes like to run without asking. Especially the Apple auto-update.