PDA

View Full Version : Quicktime to AVI?

WShawn
06-24-2008, 10:26 PM
Hi:

I've completed a three minute After Effects project, rendered at 720x540, 30fps with the animation codec. The client wants three versions delivered: an h.264 Quicktime, a wmv, and an AVI; I don't believe this will ever be used for NTSC. I'm working on a Mac Pro.

I used Quicktime Pro to export the h.264 Quicktime and the Flip 4 Mac Pro exporter to create the wmv, but my AVI export choices seem pretty limited in the Mac Quicktime player. If I export an AVI using "None" compression the file is 5 GB; they want something around 60MB. The Cinepak codec is ancient and crappy. The other codecs are various flavors of DV. I imagine these videos will be viewed predominately on Windows machines, and I don't know if DVCPro50 is a standard codec on that platform.

I could run Windows XP under Boot Camp and use some video conversion software on that side. My hope is that there'd be better codecs available for AVIs. I know DivX works well, but I'd like to use something that's standard to Windows if possible.

Any suggestions as to what codec to use for PC playback?

Any suggestions as to what PC conversion software works well?

Thanks.

Shawn Marshall
Marshall Arts Motion Graphics

sadkkf
06-25-2008, 11:58 AM
I don't use AVIs much myself so I can't recommend a good codec, but I use TMPEG Xpress for converting format. It works with just about any format:

http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/te4xp.html

CC Rider
06-25-2008, 02:01 PM
AE shoud be able to export a uncompressed AVI natively.
Did you look around in the export options in the Render Que?
or is this purely a codec problem?

iconoclasty
06-25-2008, 02:05 PM
Do you have access to an Indeo Codec under Mac? I've had some pretty good results from Indeo 5.1 though I'm not sure it can take 3 minutes down quite to 60megs. But probably pretty close.

BigHache
06-26-2008, 01:28 AM
I haven't found AVIs to be very friendly on the Mac, so you might need to do it in Windows to get better results. The DVCPro50 codec is geared towards those working with Panasonic DVCPro tape decks and the like, so that's not gonna be a Windows standard, plus it should make your file size rather large.

As for what AVI codec in Windows? Not sure...

meshpig
06-26-2008, 02:02 AM
Have you tried VLC?

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Some more options over flip4mac and QT Pro.

-AVI and Cinepak are essentially of the same ilk, good luck!

m

sadkkf
06-26-2008, 08:33 AM
This might be a good question to raise in the VT forums. There are lots of video experts there. :)