PDA

View Full Version : My Animation reel 2008

silviotoledo
06-24-2008, 09:24 PM
youtube link here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79TsxXORCHA

The 3D part is pure lightwave and I also use lightwave as " compositing " tool on the 2D animation.

Please give me your coments.

TheDynamo
06-25-2008, 10:12 AM
What little I was able to see (I'm at work and had a brief moment to peruse the forums) looked good. What do you use for the cel animation?

-Dyn

silviotoledo
06-25-2008, 12:01 PM
Hi Dynamo

The cell are hand drawn animation, painted on photoshop and I use lightwave to map multiplane and compositing.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a293/silviotoledo/SPICY.jpg

So I use alpha channels and clip maps a lot!

The second part of the demo is 100% lightwave.

DiedonD
06-26-2008, 12:45 AM
The thought that all you needed to have to make a cartoon was just a pen and your personal imagination, is so inviting.

Just draw frames around, and pile them all up into a sequence. Fcourse what you do then is post work, that you could do with other apps too. But Doing a cartoon with just a pen, is so inviting.

How long did it took you to do it? Onion Skinning right?

And yes I like everything in the reel

TheDynamo
06-26-2008, 12:04 PM
That must take loads of patience to composite things like that in lightwave. I tend to use After Effects for this kind of multiplane work. I'm guessing you use a distant light setup with no drop shadows in order to get the even lighting you would need for cel animation.

I like your reel by the way, I finally finished watching it. I wish we could get to that kind of artistic freedom at my workplace but our account people usually have no sense of time ;) I thought I overheard one of them saying "The Incredibles only took a couple months right?"

-Dyn

silviotoledo
06-27-2008, 04:13 PM
Thanks for comments DiedonD

TheDynamo
We don't have too much time for doing that here in Northeast of Brazil. Also we don't have finance. Films like the 3D dino ( 30 seconds and 5 days to do helped by one more guy ) and 3D cell animated phone ( 1 day to do with 1 more artist help ). The only good part is that I'm the creative director and concept artist of almost everything, so I have a lot of freedon by almost no sufficient time.
For the cartoon ones ( I've working in cartoons since 14 years old and I'm 33 now ) I use to have additional help from people I traine for inbetween, painting, and so on 'cause it's really a big amount of work done on a small time.

I'm fighting for finance for doing a feature film, but it's so hard.

Pixar animators have one year for animating ( no modeling, no texturing, no lightining... ) for doing 15 seconds animation. This is really something we will never have. So we will have a good way for doing animations, but not that perfection one.

DiedonD
06-28-2008, 12:36 AM
Oh no time alright. Why the hell did God made a day last only 24 hours?! We could do so much more with more hours per day. The energy is there, but no time :thumbsdow

But Id say your going the right way. If time equals money, then by that definition, money equals time. By hunting money, after you hunt it, youll have time.

Good luck hunting

Exception
06-29-2008, 04:58 AM
This is great work! I very much enjoyed watching your real. Very fine and well crafted work.

My criticism of the reel, and not the work, is that the music is really cheesy. That guitar sample just doesn't support th quality of animation. Some sound effects would be good at high-intensity moments and you need an ending. It just kind of stops somewhere now, as if it didn't finish loading.

Cheers, and great to see your work!

silviotoledo
06-30-2008, 06:25 AM
Exception I also liked a lot your architectural animations! Amazing lightning! Are they all lightwave? How big is your renderfarm? :)

Exception
06-30-2008, 06:28 AM
Exception I also liked a lot your architectural animations! Amazing lightning! Are they all lightwave? How big is your renderfarm? :)

Ha! Renderfarm!
Half of that has been calculated on a single Centrino 1.8 laptop... the other half on a simple E6600 dual core machine...

I wish I had a render farm for sure :)

Stooch
06-30-2008, 12:34 PM
totally agreed on the music i hated it too. not sure if it detracts from the reel but it definitelly doesnt help.

This is great work! I very much enjoyed watching your real. Very fine and well crafted work.

My criticism of the reel, and not the work, is that the music is really cheesy. That guitar sample just doesn't support th quality of animation. Some sound effects would be good at high-intensity moments and you need an ending. It just kind of stops somewhere now, as if it didn't finish loading.

Cheers, and great to see your work!

silviotoledo
06-30-2008, 06:31 PM
yeah! I was worried about getting a non original song, so a friend that plays gittar sended me that one. I agree it's not good. I will try a new one next editing.

ericsmith
07-03-2008, 10:08 PM
There's definitely some good stuff in there, but unfortunately, it kind of gets lost in the mix.

I would like to see more context for what's going on with the characters, rather than just seeing them for a few seconds doing repetative motions.

It seems to me that in an animation reel, there should be more of a sense of story, or at least drama- something to get me to see a character really emoting.

But it looks like you've got enough good projects under your belt that you can go through them again, and just put together 5 or 6 of the best ones, and instead of showing really short little quips and peices of them mixed together, make longer segments of each one.

Eric