PDA

View Full Version : Vista 64 Bit Memory Possibilities, Options

i2dontknow84
06-24-2008, 06:39 PM
Hi,

I purchased a new computer 32 bit Vista then upgraded to a 64 bit Vista OS after hearing about the memory upgrade possibilities...

But now I cannot find anyone selling anything other than 1GB memory sticks.
I have four memory slots on my computer so if I want 8GB of memory then I need to get ahold of 2GB sticks (or larger if they exist).

Below is what I have, does anyone know where I can get ahold of some decent memory for my system?

* XPS 630i Intel Core2 Q6600 (2.40Ghz) w/ Quad Core
* 512MB NVIDEA GeForce 8800 GT
* Dual 500GB Hard drives
* Vista Ultimate 64 Bit and Vista Home Premium 32 Bit operating systems

I have two operating systems installed on the same computer because the 64 bit Vista version would not let me install some of the software on it, so I created a partition and installed a 32 bit Vista Home Premium OS there.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

i2dontknow84

i2dontknow84
06-25-2008, 02:12 PM
There should be plenty of places selling 4 Gb (2x 2 Gb) dual channel kits.

Have you tried www.newegg.com ?

They have these (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145184). But depending on your needs you might want the faster PC8500 kit.

Hi neverko,

Thanks so much for the info.

I have just recently heard about NewEgg.com but I do not know which memory specifically will work with my computer.

Dell computers warns about installing the wrong memory, I do not know much about this stuff so I am paranoid about harming my computer.

How can I know which specific memory would work with my system?

Thanks,

12dontknow84

i2dontknow84
06-25-2008, 02:56 PM
Hi neverko,

Thanks again. The people in this forum are great.

I will definitely get that memory... after I return the worthless 1GB sticks that Dell sold me.

Dell warns you of installing the wrong memory with their fear tactics then they sell you worthless 1GB sticks disguised as 2GB sticks. But it is really two 1GB sticks. They do not have any 2GB sticks.

Then I had to deal with the miserable ordeal of calling Dell support and being routed to India who would connect me to technical support in India and then put me one hold.

Then after three days of that infuriating waste of a time misery, I finally got somebody to actually help me to process my return. Which I am still in the process of processing.

Thanks again,

i2dontknow84

Speedmonk42
06-26-2008, 01:34 AM
If you go to Kingston website, they have a memory configurator that will tell youw hat you need.

mattclary
06-26-2008, 01:53 PM
Hi neverko,

Thanks again. The people in this forum are great.

I will definitely get that memory... after I return the worthless 1GB sticks that Dell sold me.

Dell warns you of installing the wrong memory with their fear tactics then they sell you worthless 1GB sticks disguised as 2GB sticks. But it is really two 1GB sticks. They do not have any 2GB sticks.

Then I had to deal with the miserable ordeal of calling Dell support and being routed to India who would connect me to technical support in India and then put me one hold.

Then after three days of that infuriating waste of a time misery, I finally got somebody to actually help me to process my return. Which I am still in the process of processing.

Thanks again,

i2dontknow84

For a 1GB stick, I would toss it in the trash before I tried to deal with the Hoops dell will put you thorough. Sell it to a friend or give it to your mom for Christmas.

i2dontknow84
06-26-2008, 03:49 PM
For a 1GB stick, I would toss it in the trash before I tried to deal with the Hoops dell will put you thorough. Sell it to a friend or give it to your mom for Christmas.

Hi mattclary,

You are probably right. Tossing it might be easier.

Since the first Dell computer I bought many years ago up until this one that I just bought recently, 95% of my dealings with Dell customer support, with Dell tech support and with Dell sales has been somewhat bearable at best and an infuriating waste of time at worst.

Most of the time it would be the latter.

They just don't get it and probably never will.

Take care,

i2dontknow84

dweinkauf
06-30-2008, 04:22 PM
So far, I've had nothing but good luck with Dell for home and office use. I had to replace my 8-year-old home/office computer and bought Dell through its small business division because of its low price and the option of having them install XP instead of Vista (so it would work with my Vista-incompatible equipment). The machine arrived three days after I ordered it and had all software preloaded and configured. All I had to do was plug in the monitor, keyboard, mouse, and router. Since one module on the new machine wasn't explained in the manual, I called tech support, got an immediate response, resolved the issue in a matter of minutes, and moved on. It then took less than five minutes to network the machine to two scanners, three printers, and my VT workstation and everything worked perfectly less than 15 minutes after I took the machine out of the box. I simply can't stand system work and the option of buying this way allowed me to get to work immediately without having to configure anything except the network. The machine, that cost about $450, is dual core, has two separate hard drives, 2-gig of ram, a dual-layer DVD burner, video card, XP, and a lot of other software.