PDA

View Full Version : help with popcorn

djmobeus
06-24-2008, 08:59 AM
I need to make a box of realistic popcorn for broadcast.
It needs to be realistic none repetative, and move around with dynamicsc.

I've got no problem with the dynamics, but for some reason no matter how i try modelling different pieces of popcorn and texturing them, they dont come out looking realistic. They either look repetitive, or just really horrible pieces of corn..

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
:help::help::help:

adamredwoods
06-24-2008, 10:28 AM
Best to cook some real popcorn for visual reference.

BigHache
06-24-2008, 10:45 AM
Can we see an example? It might be a little easier to provide suggestions is we can see where you're at.

bazsa73
06-25-2008, 09:37 AM
Is it a swiss project? Pile of cornseeds pop into popcorns and then a box rises from the middle lifting up a bunch of popcorns?

THREEL
06-25-2008, 06:01 PM
Best to cook some real popcorn for visual reference.

And then eat! After you've finished modeling of course. ;)

tHREEL, but you can call me AL.

GregMalick
06-25-2008, 08:02 PM
I need to make a box of realistic popcorn for broadcast.
It needs to be realistic none repetative, and move around with dynamicsc.

I've got no problem with the dynamics, but for some reason no matter how i try modelling different pieces of popcorn and texturing them, they dont come out looking realistic. They either look repetitive, or just really horrible pieces of corn..

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
:help::help::help:

None repetitive???
I'd say you have your work cut out for you.
Even using jitter, you'd have to apply it to hundreds and hundreds of copies to get a "box" full.

Personally if I had to do this, I'd model 4 or 5 kernels (?) and then use the new version of HD Instance to get a ton of variety. Can't say how dynamics would work with that - but I can say that without instances, the poly count of many hundreds of unique popped kernels(?) could be a render nightmare.

Sounds like a fun challenge though.....

JamesCurtis
06-29-2008, 08:10 PM
Maybe using Hypervoxels to create popped corn?

Nangleator
06-30-2008, 06:46 AM
Yeah, I'd make about 10 images for sprites and use HV sprites, plus some hero kernels in the foreground to show rotation.

I've never actually tried to pile particles as if they had volume. Is that a nightmare? I imagine there'd be a lot of quivering.