PDA

View Full Version : Aussie LWer's - Whats the service like there?

kevman3d
07-25-2003, 11:45 PM
Hey Neighbours!

I'm just curious if any of you Aussies can let me know what the service, support and sales of LightWave in Australia is like?

I mean, how long did it take to receive your copy of LightWave after ordering? How's the response when you have a technical or LW related issue? etc. What about local LWUG's? Colleges? Courses?

Just outta curiousity really - I'm just interested in how it compares with the NZ side of things...

Cheers for ya time.

Kev.

riki
07-26-2003, 02:37 AM
Hey Kev

sorry i couldn't really tell you. New Magic is the distributor. They seem okay. I do remember problems in the past though waiting for units to arrive so they could fill orders.

I've never used their tech support so could comment on that.

COFA at UNSW has a multimedia course which I think include Lightwave.

Karmacop
07-26-2003, 07:41 AM
Yeah about the same here. After ordering lightwave usually gets to me within 4 days I'd say. When I ordered lightwave 7 though they didn't have any copies left so I had to wait a couple of extra days because of that. I've never used tech support so I'm not sure about that. No user groups near me, but I'm in a small town. I'd be suprised if anyone else had a (legal) copy of lightwave in the town I live in anyway.

kevman3d
07-26-2003, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Karmacop
After ordering lightwave usually gets to me within 4 days I'd say. When I ordered lightwave 7 though they didn't have any copies left so I had to wait a couple of extra days because of that.

Wow, so you can get LW pretty quickly after ordering? Is that normal in Aus?

I recall there was a stage when LW7.5 was low on printed manuals and took a few months to get in... Was that a problem in Aus as well?

riki
07-26-2003, 10:49 PM
I'm not sure if it was v 7 or 6?? but there was one release that I had to wait about 2 months for. That was two months after the date that New magic had annonced, which made it all the more frustrating.

Karmacop
07-26-2003, 11:14 PM
Hmm .. I seem to remember getting all of mine sent to me in less than a week. With 7 when I rang they didn't have it so I didn't place an order straight away but I remember ordering it a week or 2 later when they had new copies in and I got it within a week o that I'm fairly sure ...

kevman3d
07-26-2003, 11:27 PM
Interestingly, in NZ it was like this for me:

L[6] - Took over 3 months to get after ordering in NZ
L[7.5] - Took over 2 months to get after ordering in NZ

Yup, all just came through NewMagic here too - Though I can't recall why L[6] took 3 months to Courier when it only takes 3 hours to fly to Aus anyway! :)

Though at least I got them 'eventually'. That's all I could be thankful for. :D

riki
07-26-2003, 11:31 PM
It might've been version 6 ?? But I gave damien hell, called him every week for about 2 months wanting to know where it was. After that they said they said that they'd never publish release dates again. All in all it wasn't their fault. But that's the only real dealings I've had, nothing much else to speak of. We don't have a user group that I'm aware of.

Kuzey
07-27-2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by kevman3d
Interestingly, in NZ it was like this for me:

Yup, all just came through NewMagic here too - Though I can't recall why L[6] took 3 months to Courier when it only takes 3 hours to fly to Aus anyway! :)

Maybe they were busy trying to fill the Australian orders first??

Ahhhh...yes..damien..I knew him so well :p
I too had a small problem which they went out of their way to fix..pretty good bunch of guys.

User groups would be cool to have down here!!

Kuzey

kevman3d
07-27-2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Kuzey
Maybe they were busy trying to fill the Australian orders first??

Actually, that's a rumour I'm trying to dispell by asking here - sadly its becoming more and more apparent that NZ is on the suck-side of service regarding LightWave in general.

As for Aussie LWUG's - Check out www.lightwaveoz.org - Its been about since 2000-2001 :D

Kuzey
07-27-2003, 08:12 PM
I was just making a guess.
It could also go back to Newtek, since they would control the overall distribution etc. It wasn't like there were huge number of seats coming in everyday, maybe a dozen every four - five days??

It also could be a case of first in best dressed...maybe they were just filling in back orders and that's why they delay was as long?

Yeah..I know about that site. I was thinking more along the lines of people getting together every other week :p

Kuzey

riki
07-27-2003, 08:12 PM
I'd say that Newtek would make supply to the local US and Canadian market a top priority. AU would probably come after EU and JP and then they'd probably get sent in bulk via surface mail to cut costs. So a palet load of units get shipped to OZ, then have to clear customs and if there's any other delays in production or shipping we feel it at the bottom of the food chain.

AU users get to pick at the bones, NZ users get to pick at our droppings :) Nice analogy huh :)

Why can't we just buy it online?? Even if through New Magic, and download it as we would any other upgrade?? They could still send the box, but at least we wouldn't have to wait.

riki
07-27-2003, 08:18 PM
I checked out the site, no offence but it's a bit cheezy for my liking.

kevman3d
07-27-2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by riki
AU users get to pick at the bones, NZ users get to pick at our droppings :) Nice analogy huh :)

Hehehe! Yeh, thats probably quite accurate. :)

Why can't we just buy it online?? Even if through New Magic, and download it as we would any other upgrade?? They could still send the box, but at least we wouldn't have to wait.

Yeh, its curious - NewMagic USED to offer online shop facilities. I wonder why they removed that - It was a great idea. Curious... :confused:

As for that LWUG web site - Ok, sorry, hadn't realised it wasn't really a physical group. I thought it was Australia's 'Official' LWUG website? well, its the only one I've seen.

Though its not brain science to start one - Be the first in your area! Plenty of info in the User Groups section of NewTek forums if you're interested...

Kev.

riki
07-27-2003, 08:46 PM
If we had a user group I'd pass the first motion, no VB cans, no boomerangs, no roos, no koara bears (as my japanese friends like to say :)

kevman3d
07-27-2003, 10:05 PM
If we had a user group I'd pass the first motion, no VB cans, no boomerangs, no roos, no koara bears (as my japanese friends like to say :) )

"If we had a user group"? - If people want one, then I suggest someone just start one and then you can lay down that first ground rule too! :)

However, I think given the span of Aus, you could easily warrant a few in various states... If anyone starts one or more, lemme know - I'm always keen to keep in touch with other LWUG's around the globe (or next door)...

Though according to a guy at the last NZLWUG here who just received their copy of LW, seems that there's a check-box on the LW Rego form from NewMagic that offers a sign-up to the 'Official Australia/NZ Lightwave Users Group'? :)

Apparently there is one? Funny though, I figured my 5 years running the NZ one would qualify us as the 'official' NZ group? I also didn't figure most kiwis would be able to make many meetings if they were somewhere in Aus! Ha! Ha! :rolleyes:

riki
07-27-2003, 10:12 PM
I read somewhere that there are more Maltese people living in Australia than in Malta. So maybe we can start the Maltese one as well :)

mr_nebel
07-27-2003, 10:53 PM
A little off topic but I recently received my copy of Lightwave from the UK and apparently New Magic can't register it because the place I got it from in the UK wasn't supposed to sell it to me, and now i've got 2 days left on my temporary license.

*pulling hair and furiously sending emails to everyone who might be able to help*

p.s: Kevman3d, are u the Natcoll tutor up in Auckland? The name seems to ring a bell.

riki
07-27-2003, 11:04 PM
Probably call the people you bought it from in the UK and ask them to Register it. Otherwise ask for your money back and buy it from New Magic.

kevman3d
07-27-2003, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by mr_nebel
A little off topic but I recently received my copy of Lightwave from the UK and apparently New Magic can't register it because the place I got it from in the UK wasn't supposed to sell it to me, and now i've got 2 days left on my temporary license.

*pulling hair and furiously sending emails to everyone who might be able to help*

NewMagic are in fact correct - The UK company you bought LW through were NOT supposed to sell it to you. It was their error that you're pretty much paying for...

I would directly contact NewTek (USA) and let them know the situation (unless someone is reading this here already?). However, NewMagic could be a little more supportive, especially if you never realised this was the situation. I would seriously think the UK reseller is more at fault here then you.

p.s: Kevman3d, are u the Natcoll tutor up in Auckland? The name seems to ring a bell.

Well, yes - But I only started working here part-time just 3 weeks ago! :) You may be thinking of Kevin sharp, or 'Number 1' as he's now affectionately referred to since theres two Kevins teaching LightWave here now! :D

My name may be familiar - I've been the person behind the 'Kiwavers' NZ LightWave Users Group (for close to 5 years now). So I get around... :)

mr_nebel
07-27-2003, 11:56 PM
Ah cool, i've emailed the UK guys and sent a forum mail to Proton today so hopefully I can get this sorted. As long as I can keep DFX+ and get Lightwave 8 when it comes out i'll be happy.

I met Kevin Sharp when he was visiting at the Chch branch of Natcoll last year so I thought i'd check, I think he was showing our head of department how to use Spline guides in Saslite, when i was just about to tell him how to do the same thing :D

kevman3d
07-28-2003, 05:01 PM
Cool. Let us know how it goes... I'm keen to hear about these kinds of stories, cause I sometimes run into other people who have similiar issues...

BTW, I'm curious why you bought it via the UK? The price as far as I know is 'globally' set so there's no real benefit in buying it outside NZ anymore. Once it was cheaper (and by quite a significant amount) to buy LW from the USA vs. locally, but those days have thankfully disappeared so people don't feel so annoyed at price differences any more.

kevman3d
07-28-2003, 05:08 PM
I read somewhere that there are more Maltese people living in Australia than in Malta. So maybe we can start the Maltese one as well :)

Narf! Go for it! :) I don't think Malta has their own UG anyway...

But seriously, its not hard to start a LWUG - Someone just needs to take the initiative and do it! 5 Years ago I never imagined I'd *still* be running a monthly LWUG meeting here in NZ (and still loving it to boot!) - But its something I take great pride in, and its been an awesome way to improve my public presentation abilities, not to mention get recognition in NZ as a source of LW information and knowledge! :)

Its got benefits... And its worth the effort in the end... Well, IMHO... :D

mr_nebel
07-28-2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by mr_nebel
Ah cool, i've emailed the UK guys and sent a forum mail to Proton today so hopefully I can get this sorted. As long as I can keep DFX+ and get Lightwave 8 when it comes out i'll be happy.

I met Kevin Sharp when he was visiting at the Chch branch of Natcoll last year so I thought i'd check, I think he was showing our head of department how to use Spline guides in Saslite, when i was just about to tell him how to do the same thing :D

Well it was just a tiny bit cheaper once VAT removed and then GST added on at the border but now I reckon it would've been better to just fork over the extra $100 or so :( stupid parents thinking they know best about this kind of thing. HA!