PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a physical project (meso-optics)

Steamthrower
06-22-2008, 09:05 PM
This is totally non-3D related, but I figured you were all intelligent folks and mostly comprised of geeks. So, here goes:

My two bosses have come up with a harebrained scheme, and have given a few of the guys in the office (me included) each a $100 and some special material from one of the manufacturers, and have instructed us to make something with it. Winner gets honor and prestige.

This material is a translucent plastic which refracts light into shapes. Basically, if you shine a laser through it, it will rearrange the beam into a wide spread, or a circle, or a thin horizontal line. I have a rigid 1' x 5' piece of it, about a quarter inch thick, and a thin flexible 1' x 5' piece of it, and a very small paper-thin flexible sheet of it. I've been pondering this for about a month, insisting that "creative minds need boundaries in order to produce invention" but to deaf ears.

The deadline is approaching and I need something cool invented with a few pieces of meso-optics and a $100 budget. I'm at my wit's end. What in the heck could I make? Throw out wild and crazy ideas, guys, because if I don't come up with something by tomorrow evening, I'm just going to find a lava lamp to wrap this crap around. :D

Jarno
06-22-2008, 10:59 PM
Hmmm, Ledalite pretty much have the obvious lighting applications covered. Not surprising as they apparently invented the stuff.
A well-controlled smooth lightsource with known falloff is always welcome for calibrating intrinsic camera parameters (per-pixel sensor sensitivity, irradiance falloff), photographing textures, or photogrammetry (shape from shading).
I see that it can redirect light. Make a better solar cooker by using a sheet redirect the sunlight onto the focussing mirror from a wide range of Sun angles?
Use the sheets as a starting point to teach quantum physics to students in impoverished central city highschools?

---JvdL---