PDA

View Full Version : Poser mddPack

LightFreeze
06-22-2008, 12:53 PM
The Poser mddPack will let you export Figures, Props, Strand Hair, Cloth Dynamics and Hair Dynamics.

All the animations in Poser can be exported to mdd files for import into Lightwave.

You can also take mdd animations into Poser, generate cloth dynamics with them and export the lot back out.

Details and demo are available here (http://www.vuescripts.com/_A/index.php?id=1,0,0,1,0,0)

JamesCurtis
06-24-2008, 06:43 AM
When I go to the Tutorials section and click on a Tutorial, Firefox crashes during the load of the Quicktime files and I have to restert the Firefox browser again. It keeps crashing with every attempt to load the tutorials.

I would appreciate it if you would please look into it.

Maybe you could make a direct download link to the Quicktime .mov's for those that wanted to see the tutorials later.

Thanks.

LightFreeze
06-24-2008, 12:41 PM
I`ll look into it and get them available for direct download.

They are mostly done in QT7 in the h.264 codec , maybe thats the issue?

Paul_Boland
06-24-2008, 12:43 PM
Impressive but two things... A voice over on the videos would really help to explain what's going on. And second, it says you can bring the hair on a figure into Lightwave (or whatever 3D package) using this MDD plugin yet none of the videos show this in action. Would be nice to see this too.

LightFreeze
06-24-2008, 12:51 PM
I have a thick scottish accent, so I`m not sure if that would help a lot of people :D.

I`ll get some tutes on hair up soon, unsure because of the NDA around 9.5 but I suppose I could show just the meshes

LightFreeze
06-24-2008, 01:58 PM
new page up for direct downloading (http://www.vuescripts.com/_A/index.php?aid=69) of the mddPack tutorials

JMCarrigan
06-24-2008, 03:13 PM
I'm about to jump out of my skin about this Lightfreeze. Does it work with 9.5 beta? About the MGMTLImport thing. Where's that? I really really want this to work for me as beautifully as it did in your blazing fast tutorial. No no. I can scrub through and figure it out. But the tut shows LW 9.3 with an Import/Export option rather that 2 separate options as in 9.5. Thank you all the same.

LightFreeze
06-24-2008, 03:56 PM
I`m not sure how much we can discuss here due to the NDA but here is an earlier beta test done in 9.5 (http://www.vuescripts.com/clips/JessNCHair2.avi) divX and nudity warning.

The mtl import/export scripts are dodgy`s, available here (http://www.mikegreen.name/).

JMCarrigan
06-24-2008, 04:04 PM
Sorry - I keep thinking I'm in the beta zone after I sign in. Doh! But Thanks.

JMCarrigan
06-24-2008, 05:22 PM
I reloaded 9.3.1 - still not working as in video. I can't figure it out!

JMCarrigan
06-24-2008, 05:39 PM
I wonder - Is it Vicki 4.2 that I shouldn't be using?

LightFreeze
06-24-2008, 05:50 PM
could you be a bit more specific about the problem

JMCarrigan
06-24-2008, 06:03 PM
could you be a bit more specific about the problem

Okay. If I understand your tutorial correctly, I can animate a Poser figure in Poser, then export a MDD file using your plugin. I also will export the OBJ version of the figure and the mtl files using your plugins.

Then I can start Lightwave - now 9.3.1 - load the obj file created out of Poser, use Dodgey's plugin to import the mtl which also saves the obj as a lwo. (That plugin does not show up in the area File Import/Export like your tutorial, but...)

I've got it working pretty much at that point. That I select the figure, go to properties>dynamics add ClthFX - go to the file tab and load the mdd created in Poser. here's where I get nothing so far. I've been using Vicki4.2. I was just trying Vicki3 or trying to understand if I have to make it a PROP first. But that's only if it's going to be used in POSER right?

JMCarrigan
06-24-2008, 06:23 PM
Gawd! It's late in Scotland I just realized! 1:20 a.m. almost. Sorry! Well unless you stay up late on purpose. Of course you stay up on purpose - nobody's forcing you. Are they? 'Cause if they are....!

JMCarrigan
06-24-2008, 06:29 PM
It's not the demo version thing is it? I will buy it as soon as I see it works. I need it for a very simple animation for someone's website. Poser Pro has not manifested for Lightwave. Collada export's not working yet - nor fbx. bvh export works for some things but not for fingers and feet for some reason.

JamesCurtis
06-24-2008, 09:42 PM
Lightfreeze,

Thanks for the direct link to the tutorials. It is easier. I have QT7 vers. 7.1.6. Haven't updated Quicktime in awhile but there may be a new version I'm not aware of which may be part of my issue. I'll see if there is one when I have a spare moment. I've been working on client projects and it's been tying me down quite a bit lately.

Thanks much for doing this.

calilifestyle
06-24-2008, 10:01 PM
Nice script. btw was it you that did that did the Vue script to export from lightwave. are you still selling that and still working on it.

LightFreeze
06-25-2008, 12:34 AM
Okay. If I understand your tutorial correctly, I can animate a Poser figure in Poser, then export a MDD file using your plugin. I also will export the OBJ version of the figure and the mtl files using your plugins.

Then I can start Lightwave - now 9.3.1 - load the obj file created out of Poser, use Dodgey's plugin to import the mtl which also saves the obj as a lwo. (That plugin does not show up in the area File Import/Export like your tutorial, but...)

I've got it working pretty much at that point. That I select the figure, go to properties>dynamics add ClthFX - go to the file tab and load the mdd created in Poser. here's where I get nothing so far. I've been using Vicki4.2. I was just trying Vicki3 or trying to understand if I have to make it a PROP first. But that's only if it's going to be used in POSER right?

Did you use the ObjExport from the mddPack, the Poser exporter will not match the mdd file if you set the wrong options.

The only other thing I can think to check is that you are using the .lwo version of your object because clothFX sometimes will not work on a .obj and its not obvious when in LW which filetype the object is.

Does clothFX show an error message?

LightFreeze
06-25-2008, 12:39 AM
Nice script. btw was it you that did that did the Vue script to export from lightwave. are you still selling that and still working on it.

Yip, VueExport2 is mine, its available in the Lightwave section on VueScripts, I hope to improve on it as Vue gets updated, suggestions are welcome.

LightFreeze
06-25-2008, 12:42 AM
Lightfreeze,

Thanks for the direct link to the tutorials. It is easier. I have QT7 vers. 7.1.6. Haven't updated Quicktime in awhile but there may be a new version I'm not aware of which may be part of my issue. I'll see if there is one when I have a spare moment. I've been working on client projects and it's been tying me down quite a bit lately.

Thanks much for doing this.

No problem, thanks for the suggestion. My QT is currently 7.3.1 There is a new vid showing StrandHair export now

JMCarrigan
06-25-2008, 08:51 AM
Did you use the ObjExport from the mddPack, the Poser exporter will not match the mdd file if you set the wrong options.

The only other thing I can think to check is that you are using the .lwo version of your object because clothFX sometimes will not work on a .obj and its not obvious when in LW which filetype the object is.

Does clothFX show an error message?

Error message is: format error mdd\filename.mdd

Yes to all other questions. However, I am unsure about the conversion to lwo. I have your plugins (ls scripts) and when I run one there are many to choose from. I pick MGMTLImporter from the Plugins>Additional drop down list because it doesn't show up as in your tutorial under FILE Import/Export. I have FILE Import and FILE Export as separate selections.

JMCarrigan
06-25-2008, 08:57 AM
How can I tell what the frame rate is in Poser. I am assuming the animation is 30 fps.

LightFreeze
06-25-2008, 11:16 AM
frame rate is set at the top left of the window/animation Palette in Poser.

Dodgy`s MGMTLImporter/Exporter scripts show up there in the tutorial because I set them to there using the configure menu (alt F10) in lightwave.

To save a .lwo from a .obj, the most reliable way is to use `Save Trans Object` after you have applied the materials but before you do any deforming.

The format error is usually associated with applying an mdd to a .obj file

daforum
06-25-2008, 11:30 AM
Please, please, please can you release a Mac verision of your plugin (sounding desperate!) as this would be sooooo useful....

JMCarrigan
06-25-2008, 11:38 AM
Hmmm. The MGMTLImporter seems to import the mtl AND save as lwo. But I'll try the save transformed way. Thanks.

LightFreeze
06-25-2008, 12:14 PM
Please, please, please can you release a Mac verision of your plugin (sounding desperate!) as this would be sooooo useful....

unfortunately I dont have access to a Mac

LightFreeze
06-25-2008, 12:24 PM
Hmmm. The MGMTLImporter seems to import the mtl AND save as lwo. But I'll try the save transformed way. Thanks.

Thats true, forgot about that.

Try bringing the lwo into Poser and applying the mdd file to it there. You should get better feedback about a node mismatch if thats the problem.

Another option would be to try Dponts DPkit-Displacement-mddPointer in the objects displacement node editor.

This would be the best solution because clothFX can be flaky at times

Paul_Boland
06-25-2008, 01:06 PM
There is a new vid showing StrandHair export now

WOW!!!! Now that is VERY impressive!!!!! Thanks for making the video. I'm really impressed with this plugin, only thing is, I have Poser 5 but I'm definately going to check out what's involved in upgrading now. With the abilities to get this stuff out of Poser and into Lightwave, that's worth investing in. Thanks again.

JMCarrigan
06-26-2008, 12:07 PM
I've done one of the things you suggested and got at least something to happen. The figure displaces from the t position to the correct placement except the render of very strange. What else should I do that you may know of.

Also, is anyone else writing in this topic actually getting results. The tuts excite me too and I'd love to have a reason to buy the plugs.

see attached for result. Thanks ahead.

LightFreeze
06-26-2008, 03:04 PM
That looks like a point order problem or a point count problem. Have you done anything unusual to the mesh, like morphs or swapping out groups?

Heres my Vicky4 test (http://www.vuescripts.com/_A/index.php?id=19,72,0,0,1,0), are you doing exactly the same?

LightFreeze
06-26-2008, 03:08 PM
I would also be interested if anyone else is having problems, the beta testers were having no issues, and one was taking stuff into Modo.

Please post if you are having an issue

JMCarrigan
06-26-2008, 05:09 PM
That looks like a point order problem or a point count problem. Have you done anything unusual to the mesh, like morphs or swapping out groups?

Heres my Vicky4 test (http://www.vuescripts.com/_A/index.php?id=19,72,0,0,1,0), are you doing exactly the same?

I already had an animation plus Vicky had some morphs applied to "her" before animating. So I'll do what you just showed me in Video and see what happens. Thanks. I'll let you know.

JMCarrigan
06-26-2008, 05:34 PM
Well - It's better. But not quite there. Maybe it's because I'm back to build 1413 of 9.5. having 9.3.1 on here really messes my sys up for some reason. Maybe I should just wait.

LightFreeze
06-26-2008, 05:36 PM
I dont think it will be anything to do with the morphs or the animation, just did another test with V3 (http://www.vuescripts.com/_A/index.php?aid=73), maybe its something to do with V4, what version of V4 have you got? Its possible they changed something about her mesh that I dont know about

LightFreeze
06-26-2008, 05:39 PM
Well - It's better. But not quite there. Maybe it's because I'm back to build 1413 of 9.5. having 9.3.1 on here really messes my sys up for some reason. Maybe I should just wait.

Do you have the config switch enabled on your Lightwave installs. If your getting messed up configs you might be loading the wrong plugins into LW

LightFreeze
06-27-2008, 12:54 AM
I have had another report about clothFX in 9.3.1 giving a format error on the mdd file but he said that MD Plug worked fine.

JMCarrigan
06-27-2008, 02:33 PM
I tried v3 today with 9.5 build 1413. It's kinda there but a mess. So I'll just wait. I only have one install loaded. I couldn't get it to pay attention to my config switch - if you mean within the shortcut as per instructions in the betas. I really wanna push 9.5 and am using FFX etc, so... Thanks!

LightFreeze
06-27-2008, 03:20 PM
No problem, sorry I couldn`t solve it for you.

Would you mind posting a few frames of your V3 mdd file?. I`d like to have a look at one of the files your generating.

If you set your end frame to 3 and export I think that would be small enough to post here

JMCarrigan
06-27-2008, 05:36 PM
If I can figure out how. I made a zip and uploading it caused newtek to create a php something and opened Dreamweaver on my computer!

LightFreeze
06-27-2008, 06:02 PM
think I`ve found something beta related, try using poser to export your model as a .lwo. remember to deselect the ground and check `goal centre of mass` and centre of mass` are also not selected. Then try that model with your mdd file.

my theory is the beta is changing the point order and if your configs are mixed up you may have unwittingly been using the beta importer in 9.3

JMCarrigan
06-27-2008, 06:15 PM
Here's a pointer to a url that has a zip.

http://www.1stcliffgallery.com/LMDownloads.html

LightFreeze
06-27-2008, 06:23 PM
got the file, you can remove it now if you wish, I think I`ll start a thread in the beta forums as some things have changed in the latest build and shouldn`t be discussed here I believe

JMCarrigan
06-27-2008, 06:23 PM
Wow - Your message #40 worked! Woopie! Thanks a ton!

LightFreeze
06-27-2008, 06:30 PM
excellent :thumbsup:
, its getting late here now so I`ll leave you to play for now

one more thing, if you export Poser Strand hair with poser you get poly plates so you might find this useful (http://www.vuescripts.com/_A/index.php?aid=68) for something :question:

JMCarrigan
06-27-2008, 07:12 PM
I'm going to need your mdd export at least. I can't seem to make it work with any other model than v3 blank sae. I think, 'cause I just noticed that in the viewport the model went to heck, but still rendered fine. I'll do some more testing and probably get the point I'l need to buy your plugs. Thanks.

LightFreeze
06-28-2008, 02:26 AM
I would really recommend you spend some time and get your config switching working properly, even if you only have the beta installed now because dodgy configs cause a lot of grief.

If you want I`ll post a detailed list of the way I would do it, I currently have 4 versions working fine on my system

JMCarrigan
06-28-2008, 09:31 AM
Been looking for your new beta version of this conversationez.

I'd love to see what you did for your configs. I have had heartache having 9.5 with 9.3 and 8., well since 9.5. Before that, my configs got redirected like they were supposed to with the -c switch. Plus the beta installs were almost drag and drop where you want - to replace older versions. Thx

LightFreeze
06-28-2008, 10:25 AM
had a look at your files (http://www.vuescripts.com/clips/JMC_V3QS.mov) and clothFX is throwing a format error for me too however it works fine with MD Plug and Dponts DPkit, now wondering if ClothFX has a vertex limitation

re the configs
assuming an install of 9.3.1

I would start by creating 2 folders on your target drive ( call it Z: ) , dont install into the default dir as there are spaces in the path name and they can cause problems.

Z:\Lightwave931 notice no spaces in the name or path and
Z:\DL_Plugins this is to hold all your third party plugins and can be used by all your LW installs.

run the installer and install into Lightwave931

once its installed do not run it but open the Lightwave931 folder and create another folder called configs

then go into the Lightwave931\Programs folder, right click on lightwav.exe and send to desktop as shortcut

Do the same for modeler.exe

Now go to the desktop, rename your new shortcuts if desired then right click on each one and select properties.

In the properties window in the target text box change the target to

Z:\Lightwave931\Programs\lightwav.exe -cZ:\Lightwave931\configs

for layout and for modeler

Z:\Lightwave931\Programs\modeler.exe -cZ:\Lightwave931\configs

once thats done double click on the layout shortcut, let LW open then quit it.

go look in the Z:\Lightwave931\configs folder and check you have new configs written in there

do the same for Modeler

If all is OK when you reopen them you can scan the Z:\DL_Plugins folder to get your third party plugins in.

Finally always start LW and Mod from these shortcuts or rightclick them and `Pin To Start menu`

never start them using Start/programs/Newtek/etc as this will ignore the config switches and generate new ones at the default locations

hopefully I haven`t forgotten something

LightFreeze
06-29-2008, 06:51 AM
It seems there is a bug in clothFX, high point counts will cause ClothFX to throw a format error. I don`t know what the point limit is but at least MD_Plug and Dpont`s DPkit work fine.

More info here (http://www.vuescripts.com/_A/index.php?id=1,74,0,0,1,0) and a quick way to see the bug yourself :-

use an object with at least 70 000 points in Layout.

scan the motion of this object using ClothFX.

clear the scene, reload the object and attempt to apply the mdd file using clothFX.

prospector
06-29-2008, 04:27 PM
I have a thick scottish accent, so I`m not sure if that would help a lot of people .

I have a thick head, so you should be fine.:D

LightFreeze
06-30-2008, 01:50 AM
I`ll take the thickness of your head under consideration when I do another :thumbsup: