PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit

down_in_black
06-22-2008, 05:32 AM
A contest sounds like fun.

I am going for something cartoony to try something I haven't worked so much with in the past.

Like most people I just hope I got enough time to take it to the finish line.

This is the main character, still lots to do on this guy but thought I would get it online while I let it rest for a day or so.

Keep the feedback coming!

Kuzey
06-22-2008, 03:54 PM
About time we saw a toon...looking good.

I love the face and lower body, but I'm not sure about the ears, they look too flat/stiff/thin. Also, maybe the hands/wrist area can more defined.

Keep them coming.

:thumbsup:

Kuzey

JBT27
06-23-2008, 03:15 AM
The side view - the back of the ears, at least in silhouette, do look a bit flat/straight. Everything else is curvy but that detracts quite a bit.

Great start though and a good character :thumbsup:

Julian.

madjester
06-23-2008, 08:32 AM
Nice start man, not much to critique yet, one piece of advice though. Whip up a simple rig and get him in some poses. Seeing him in action will help you get a better sense of his proportions and develop the overall character.

down_in_black
06-23-2008, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I have refined the characters body and ears now. The first version only had very simple shapes for arms, hands and legs.

madjester, yeah posing will be very important to see if the character will function properly. That is the next step. Think this version got enough geometry to rig, so I will move on with that.

Here is a turntable quicktime of the current version.

down_in_black
06-23-2008, 09:29 AM
...and here is a picture of the updated version for those who like pictures :)

Ztreem
06-23-2008, 11:29 AM
Looking good, I like it. Keep it up.

Subdivmaniac
06-24-2008, 07:49 PM
Funny rabbit.... cool! :)
Keep it up the good work!

down_in_black
06-26-2008, 05:16 PM
Thanks guys!

After som effort on the rigging front I did this little test.

Will post some poses when I got some facial expressions done.

hrgiger
06-26-2008, 05:28 PM
Magnus, I really like the bunny. As far as your animation test, the hops lack some weight. You really want the body to react to hitting the ground. Playing it back in steps I see that the bunny hits the ground and it looks like the next frame he is already leaping into the air. You should try adding a frame inbetween where the bunnys knees buckle some and the body bends downward a bit from the force of the impact. I know it's meant to be cartoony, but exaggeration is always good for cartoony work.

down_in_black
06-26-2008, 06:21 PM
hrgiger, thanks for the feedback.

I agree with your comments! It's all the little things that makes a character feel alive.

But I won't be reworking this little test again since it is not being part of the final production. So much to do, so little time...

hrgiger
06-26-2008, 06:39 PM
Tell me about it.

Titus
06-27-2008, 08:00 AM
Funny character, really!

Smokie
07-02-2008, 01:33 AM
Looking good but too me it needs to look more cartoony if thats what your after. Catoon chars usually will have a very defining touch. like the hands would be big with gloves on or the eyes would be buggy looking..big stumbly feet, bigger fluffier ears or something but idk thats just me =D he looks like a scary bunny to me, the bully bunny :D

down_in_black
07-02-2008, 05:56 PM
Well I want to keep the character away from "Bugs Bunny land".

Scary bully? that's not the feeling I am getting when I look at this little thing. :)

I am still working on the details on the final production, but this is not going to be cel shaded and have a old school cartoon look. I am leaning more towards small scale/stop animation at this point. But to keep this fun and interesting I will let this evolve by it self when the final set is ready.

I am rather busy with real work for a while, but will try and post some updates soon.

And about the rules I wish we would not be limited in post work. Would be more fun just to be more creative in post. It would result in a better looking production.

hrgiger
07-02-2008, 06:39 PM
Well, I think they really want to show what Lightwave can do out of the box so I can understand limiting the post work. Notice the deadline is end of July. That means they want Siggraph promotion material.
Speaking of scary bunnies, anyone remember this one? http://www.jeffwestsart.com/image_lib/RabbitBeast.jpg

down_in_black
07-03-2008, 02:43 AM
Yeah I remember that guy from The Twilight Zone.

Now you put me in the mood to do some monster work. But will try and finish this project first.

down_in_black
07-03-2008, 06:08 PM
Here is a little update.

First pass of textures in place, and a quick pose.

hrgiger
07-03-2008, 09:41 PM
Looking very nice!

Kuzey
07-04-2008, 04:17 AM
This looks like it's going to be a hit :thumbsup:

Kuzey

down_in_black
07-04-2008, 07:18 AM
Thanks guys. One more pose...

...sneaky sneak.

evenflcw
07-05-2008, 07:43 AM
Great design. Good proportions. Nice poses. Cool personality.

I see only one issue. While poses work well overall there is one part in them that sticks out. They stuck out even on the model. It's the ears! They are just too straight and with too many straight line in them compared to the rest of the body. Imho you need to get some more natural/dynamic curves in the ears.

First image, top one is original, bottom is overpaint.
Second image, leftmost is original, rightmost is overpaint.

CMT
07-05-2008, 08:37 AM
Very nice progress here! He has lots of character.

moremetall
07-06-2008, 07:58 AM
Ser bra ut de där Magnus!

Good work, looking forward seeing more from you!:thumbsup:

Tippsy
07-08-2008, 05:12 PM
Nice! The only thing that sticks out to me is the some of the facial lines. In earlier models and not in the poses I could get where Smokie was coming from with the scary bunny look. I would say it was more creepy than scary it almost seemed like the bunny was really old with the lines in the face mostly the lines under the eyes and the cheeks look a little to sucked in. Now don't think that I dont love this model because I do just giving any helpful criticism I can see. Good Job!!

sean hargreaves
07-15-2008, 10:37 AM
Love that rabbit!! :thumbsup:

down_in_black
07-15-2008, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the feedback all of you. I move forward with your comments in mind. I will post some more progress on this project soon. Still haven't started animating anything yet, and that is the stuff I really need to work on. But will try and keep posting as I move on.

down_in_black
07-24-2008, 05:01 AM
Hi everyone!

I have finished a first version of all character animation now.

I am going to work on the enviornment next, so I thought this is a good time to get some feedback on the animation.

All feedback that can help make the animation better is much appreciated!

I guess the little story is easy enough to understand.

Here is a little list of the most important things left to do:

- Model and texture enviornment.
- Refine animation?
- Record and mix soundtrack.
- Lighting and final render.
- Color correction.

Glendalough
07-24-2008, 07:28 AM
Super Work!

This piece is really good, doesn't need that much more imho, though you have done so well it would be interesting to see what you do next. But some stuff in this style gets too busy, but maybe that is what people like, on the other hand, maybe that is what producers like and people just get.

The animation could perhaps be improved where he steps back (both times) a bit too fast (?), maybe not. I only do free form sloppy CA so wouldn't know the conventions.

These 2 stills up are EXCEPTIONAL:

Surrealist.
07-24-2008, 08:15 AM
One thing you can consider.

This is a concept that perhaps would take a while to talk about but it has to do with POV. Point of View of course. But I will try to break down the shots and do it that way.

Basically you have 6 shots.

SHOT 1

Establishment shot. PUSH IN on BUNNY.

SHOT 2

BUNMY Past the CARROT.

SHOT 3

Basically back to shot 1 in function.

SHOT 4

BUNNY past TWO CARROTS.

SHOT 5

BUNNY past several CARROTS

SHOT 6

Basically back to the establishment again.

SHOT 1 is good.

Matched action and he takes the carrot of of his mouth.

SHOT 2

In this shot he is looking at the CARROT. Now it is an interesting choice because you have both the CARROT and THE BUNNY in the same shot in such a way as you see the expression of both. But interesting as that is and economical as that is, you lose the impact on the character and it is not as effective as it could be. The reason is because he reacts to seeing or hearing the carrot scream. Even with sound it would be much more effective visually if he turned the carrot around in this shot and you inserted a POV shot past the bunny at the carrot in a close up and then cut back to SHOT 3 where he reacts.

THAT would be SHOT 2A

Another place to do an insert would be from SHOT 1 Just before he pulls the CARROT out of his mouth you could insert a shot of the CARROT screaming.

You could cut back to SHOT 1 or go to SHOT 2

SHOT 3

Is just a little longer than it need to be and you could use that time to create some of the same POV effects if you want in the last shots.

Just some ideas that I think would make an improvement on what you have which is very nice.

Of course only my opinion. :)

In either case, good luck with it! :thumbsup:

dwburman
07-26-2008, 10:38 AM
You can do some post processing within lightwave :)

Render out the movie to stills, load them in as a backdrop (or on a 100% luminous 0% plane if you want to work in layers) and apply image filters to them.

Also check out the old, mostly forgotten, WaveFilterImage for finessing the image during rendering.

Eugeny
07-28-2008, 09:05 AM
Nice animation, what about BG ?

down_in_black
07-28-2008, 09:37 AM
Thanks!

Here is some final frames with background.

A little color correction in post. I will most likely tune the color work a bit more when all the renders are done.

I really need to wrap this up asap!:)

Eugeny
07-28-2008, 09:44 AM
Nice one, use the WaveFilterImage (as dwburman suggest) to make it 100% LW. I like the colors, carious about big white/beige thing after the farm building, what is this ? The grass with DOF working nice, FiberFX or sas ? Keep it up:thumbsup:

down_in_black
07-28-2008, 10:13 AM
I think I will do the color correction outside of LW. That is ok by the rules. And don't want to make this more difficult that it needs to be this close to deadline.

That grey blob behind the farm is a silo, often used to store grain and such.
http://www.nj.nrcs.usda.gov/programs/images/Fulper/SiloFulper.JPG

The grass in not Sas or FiberFX. It is old school, polygon strands and textures.

thekho
07-28-2008, 03:06 PM
Nice and funny animation work also great model especially rabbit!

Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

down_in_black
07-28-2008, 04:46 PM
Thanks. Two more frames here from the other angles.

down_in_black
08-01-2008, 01:29 PM
Here is some quicktimes of the final version submitted.

With SOUND! :jam::beerchug:

Large version 720p 46MB (http://www.pollus.se/magnus/lunchbreak_720p.mov)

Small version 640x360 6MB (http://www.pollus.se/magnus/lunchbreak_s.mov)

Save to disk...

I had fun working on this, hope you like it.

Kuzey
08-02-2008, 06:44 AM
Super work...I just wish it was longer :hey:

Kuzey

Hopper
08-02-2008, 07:46 AM
Hah! That was hilarious. I enjoyed that. Nice work.

walfridson
08-02-2008, 08:19 AM
:D
Very nice Magnus!

Ztreem
08-02-2008, 09:34 AM
Great work !

Surrealist.
08-04-2008, 01:13 AM
LOL! Yeah I like it even without the suggested cuts. (which would have helped IMHO) But it works!. Nice job.:thumbsup:

The Dommo
08-04-2008, 04:32 AM
hehe - quite liked that :)

down_in_black
08-07-2008, 03:31 PM
Thanks guys! I am happy you liked it.

@Kuzey - I think you will see more from this "world" in the future. I have lots of ideas for future shorts and more characters.

cresshead
08-16-2008, 08:24 AM
cool character animation!

j0SH
09-18-2008, 05:11 PM
haha great idea and quite funny. I think the animation needs a bit more work. Stonger, more exagerated poses with snappy animation on the rabbit.

One bit that sticks out is where he throws the carrot. There is not anticipation, the carrot just seems to fly out.

The scene itself looks great, nice and colourful with good lighting. I think if the rabbit had a stonger key light from behind just to add a bit of highlight to it.

Keep it up!