PDA

View Full Version : little help with UVW mapping

Mike
02-23-2003, 03:11 AM
Hey,I keep having this problem with lightwave uv mapping tools
Im trying to uv map a head and i cant seem to center it so that the face is in the center not on the side.
It just stretches it instead,even tho its on the center(x) not the size.
I think the uvw mapping tools in lightwave should be improved and more flexible,programs like 3D studio max have alot more tools to use and think Newtek realy needs to get their act together,everything else is great,just the uv mapping tools need improvementhttp://kravit.50g.com/head.jpg

faulknermano
02-23-2003, 09:04 AM
www.menithings.com has a great uv tutorial. i hardly unwrap my stuff anymore. :)

Nadab
02-23-2003, 09:20 AM
UV mapping in lw is abit.. different, their okay.. but i prefer Maya's uv tools. If you want your face in the middle of the UV screen without the uv's stretched here is how you do it.

1. Rotate your mesh 90 degree from topview, so it is facing +X.
Its very important that is it facing Positive X, otherwise you will have the back side of the head in the middle of the screen.

2. Make your UV map now, but switch to manual settings and use the highest Size value in ONE of axles.. and copy it to the rest, hit OK and it should look like you want to.
By using the highest Size value from one axle when mapping your uv's, you are creating a 1:1 scale.. indoing so, you are never stretching your uv's.. what you see on the screen is what you see in your uv window.

hope it was helpful..
cheers!
/n

Elmar Moelzer
02-23-2003, 11:22 AM
Here is what I usually do:
1.Give you head a dummy- surface.
2. Apply a cylindrical texture (projected) in SurfaceEditor). Make sure it has the seam where you want it to be.
3. Leave that texture open and use TextureGuide to convert it into a UV- map.
Hope that helps.
CU
ELmar

Sam_Horton
03-02-2003, 03:42 PM
You can also use the "detail-->unweld" feature to disconnect all of the verts in your model. Once you have done this you can re-position the uv coords however you like without the stretching weirdness that happens. When your map is adjusted to your liking just use merge points to reconnect all the verts again.

hope this helps a bit

Mike
03-02-2003, 06:18 PM
Hey,thanks for the help with that guys
Yeh i eventualy worked out roatating the head 90 degrees will center the head on the mesh,the way i meshed the head is i uv it into one mesh.then cut nose,mouth,under the chin and ears into new layer and unwraped the nose ears etc on their own because its impossible to unwrap the human face perfectly with no stretching,but this way you can.
Has anyone else done it this way before,because you usauly don't

Lynx3d
03-03-2003, 01:27 AM
Yea you have to tweak some parts manually to get them right.

The "Make UVs" works fine, but you have to guess where it ends up, and LWs texture guide really annoys me, it only works with the rotation if you leave the center at the origin, and then it only creates discontinous UVs so you have to unweld and weld again before you can move any point on the UVmap...an still messes up the seam.

So i've just started writing my own uv creator. See my thread:
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1272

Maybe someone finds it usefull, if not it was a good practise :D