PDA

View Full Version : running out of ideas

filmjeff
06-22-2008, 01:28 AM
I'm trying to create a field of cornstalks that move in response to gusts of wind. The movement needs to something I can animate, not just a textured displacement map. I've tried soft efx and a variety of collision objects and wind effectors but I just can't seem to get the stalks to simply bend on cue and sequentially so that a ripple passes over the field. I'm going to have 100s of stalks, so it's prohibitive to create and individually animate 100s of nulls to use the deform: bend and deform: twist displacements, even though they generate a nice bending motion. Ideally I'd want to have a single object or null that I could animate that, when it moves, it creates the bending motion across the field of cornstalks. Is there a way to use a weight map to limit the amount of movement or bending? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

SplineGod
06-22-2008, 01:43 AM
Use displacements via procedurals but layer it with other textures that you control using reference nulls.
You could also use bones inside stalks and apply IKBoost to them.
THis will allow you to apply dyamics to the bone chains you want and still be able to animate on top. IKB dynamics can be effected with wind, collision, gravity etc.

filmjeff
06-22-2008, 01:48 AM
Thanks, Larry. I suspected the Spline God never sleeps. I'll give your suggestions a try. There isn't a procedural that acts like the front of a single wave, is there?

meshpig
06-22-2008, 02:28 AM
Yeah, you mean this one?

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/md.mov

m

SplineGod
06-22-2008, 09:34 AM
Use an image map for the single wave.Again, use a null as a reference object.I also tend to use an endomorph or two driven by textures to displace things preciselly the way I want. Heres a quick example: http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/leaves.mov

filmjeff
06-22-2008, 01:05 PM
Thanks guys! Very helpful, not only for this particular problem but for expanding my knowledge of LW