PDA

View Full Version : Too few tutorial books for Lightwave!!!!!!

lserlohn
06-21-2008, 09:00 AM
There are too few books written for lightwave. In Amazon, you can searched less than 50 books for lightwave in total, and many of them are out of date. In my country, the only one book for lightwave is Inside Lightwave series, written by Ablan, but for 3DS MAX and Maya, hundreds of books for them.

As a beginner, I need much more tutorial books to learn, to practice. I think Newtek should pay much attention on this, people would not like it if they find it too difficult to start. I think Autodesk have done a nice work on this, many tutorial books for their products, so their products are widely used in my country, but Lightwave... few people known this product, although it is as powerful as 3Ds Max.

Newtek are lossing their market, and will loss forever, if they don't change their mind.

colkai
06-21-2008, 09:35 AM
Newtek are lossing their market, and will loss forever, if they don't change their mind.
Here we go again.:thumbsdow

Tutorial books, if you actually bother to check the authors, are NOT written by the software makers but other 3E artists, such as Dan Ablan, Dave Jerrard, et al.

It is NOT the responsibility of Newtek how many authors put out books.
Might I also point out, how can books possibly exists for a product that is still in development and so not finalised.

Frankly, if that many books isn't enough for you to learn a program, I'd suggest you don't bother and take up flipping burgers instead. Though you may struggle there as I don't believe there are many books on that subject as well. :bangwall::bangwall::bangwall:

walfridson
06-21-2008, 09:45 AM
Essential LightWave v9 (http://www.amazon.com/Essential-LightWave-v9-Fastest-Easiest/dp/1598220241/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1214063014&sr=1-1) is the only book you'll need.
Don't forget Newtek has +24 hours of tutorials for you to watch.

Hopper
06-21-2008, 09:46 AM
..are NOT written by the software makers but other 3E artists, such as Dan Ablan...
Damn.. 3E? He's already an entire letter ahead of us? Holy crap that's good. :D

BigHache
06-21-2008, 09:49 AM
lserlohn, are you a beginner to 3D or a beginner to Lightwave? There have been swell discussions here about books, tutorials, and how to learn Lightwave in general.

One technique I always suggest is to make a project for yourself, and then go forth with it.That may sound vague, but even seasoned 3D artists do that. With most projects there is something new that you have to figure out, somehow.

Books are one great resource, free tutorials on the Web are also great, and the many people on this forum are helpful.

That's funny Hopper. :)

lserlohn
06-21-2008, 10:53 AM
Actually, I am both a beginner to 3D and a beginner to Lightwave.
Currently I think I have the basic skills in using Lightwave, as the inside book taught. But they are the basic, I lack the experience to create a nice, professional scene, such as the ocean, the well textured and lighted cars...etc. I know, this is because I lack the experience on 3D, not Lightwave.

I always envy those people who use 3DS Max or Maya, because there are many books for 3DS Max and Maya to teach you in detail how to texturing, how to lighting and shading a beautiful scene, and provide many and many examples.

How about Lightwave? I do googled tutorials for Lightwave, but what I got is the very simple uses. The good tutorials I think are provided by Desktop Images, but too few.

richdj
06-21-2008, 11:26 AM
The books that are out there are, on the whole excellent quality. That said, with more books, you are likely to get more aimed at the beginner. If your happy with the UI and the basics of LW, the best thing you can do is, as bighache says make your own project. It can be as simple as making an object and then texturing / lighting it. For lighting tutes / books, I can suggest Nicholas Boughan's books and his vids over at Kurv studios. If you want to learn modeling, try following a tute for another software, having to transform the tools used is a good way to get to know how tools work in LW. Also, when you have learned a new tool or way of doing something, use it on something else. The biggest problem with tutes is people don't use the information on something other than what they are reading / watching.

There are alot of video tutes out there, check Williams 24 hours of tutes (link in my sig). These are amongst the most usefull LW tutes out there.

Also, the biggest usefull book is the manual.

Rich

prospector
06-21-2008, 11:51 AM
Indeed !
A spline tut on building faces isn't ONLY to be used for faces.
A texturing tut can be used in many many ways.

Like I always say to new people, don't try to do a Hulk movie first, take something from your desk, build it ( and in as many different ways as possable), texture it, light it, and render it. Till it comes out looking like whatever you picked off the desk.
Then do something more involved around the house, then something even more involved.
Then start on organics, make a simple worm (that looks like a worm) move, then a multi legged bug.

This will get you to know the tools and how to use them and where is the best place to use or not use certain tools.

There are thousands of tuts on the net for LW, (more than can be put into books or vids). Maby they were done with LW6, but the tools and usage are STILL basically the same.
I don't think I've seen a question asked on the forum here that hasn't come up with a multitude of different ways to do something.
And there are many ways to acomplish something in LW, the tuts and vids only show you the 1 they use.

tonybliss
06-21-2008, 12:38 PM
There are many books and tutorials for LW on the web and for sale ...
trust me and good ones too ;)
LW has a very good user base
what is your level and what are you looking for in particular ??

cresshead
06-21-2008, 12:39 PM
books are "okay" but videos are "the way forward" to learn fast without the hiccups of someone missing out important steps in the book...which happen quite often....a2 min video clip can sometimes make a dfficult task "on paper>>book" VERY simple.

books are great for reference imho, not really for step by step guides on the whole...i've not bought a book on lightwave, max or z brush in YEARS.

Paul_Boland
06-21-2008, 01:01 PM
Having come to Lightwave for Caligari's TrueSpace, I can assure you that there are a wealth of books for Lightwave out there. The last book for TrueSpace was for version 4 a good few years back.

I can highly recommend the following books:

Inside Lightwave 8
http://www.amazon.com/Inside-LightWave-8-Dan-Ablan/dp/0735713685/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1214074577&sr=8-1

LightWave 3D 8 Cartoon Character Creation, Volume 1: Modeling & Texturing
http://www.amazon.com/LightWave-Cartoon-Character-Creation-Texturing/dp/155622253X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1214074431&sr=1-2

LightWave 3D 8 Cartoon Character Creation, Volume 2: Rigging & Animation
http://www.amazon.com/LightWave-Cartoon-Character-Creation-Animation/dp/1556222548/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1214074469&sr=8-12

LightWave 3D 8 Character Animation
http://www.amazon.com/LightWave-3D-8-Character-Animation/dp/1556220995/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1214074431&sr=1-5

Essential LightWave 3D 8
http://www.amazon.com/Essential-LightWave-3D-Timothy-Albee/dp/1556220820/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1214074431&sr=1-6

LightWave 3D 8 Texturing
http://www.amazon.com/LightWave-Texturing-Wordware-Graphics-Library/dp/1556222858/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1214074431&sr=1-3

CGI Filmmaking: The Creation of Ghost Warrior
http://www.amazon.com/CGI-Filmmaking-Creation-Ghost-Warrior/dp/1556222270/ref=sr_1_35?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1214074508&sr=8-35

prospector
06-21-2008, 02:32 PM
Paul, are you getting a kickback? :D:D:D

SplineGod
06-21-2008, 06:37 PM
Iserlohn,
Theres also www.kurvstudios.com

lserlohn
06-21-2008, 06:40 PM
So what I want to say is that Newtek should fund those people who write books for their products (they did, but not enough), like what Audodesk do.
You cann't let the newers to google for a tutorial everytime, that is not the business.
Meanwhile, Books are not only for teaching, they are advertisements too. If you go to the book store and find out that there are hundreds of books for 3Ds Max and only one or two books for Lightwave, what do you think which one is better?

Surrealist.
06-21-2008, 07:03 PM
You can't just force the issue. LightWave has less books because it has less of the market share. Audodesk is a much larger company with a much larger market share and budget. LightWave costs less than all these other applications and they don't have the budget to fund books let alone hire more people to develop the product quicker. These things cost money and if you want to pay 3,000 or more for LightWave, it will get developed faster and start to gain ground quicker. Then there will be more books published because publishers prefer to publish the books that sell in higher number, so the software that is used by more people and is taught in more schools is going to get more books published. Simple as that. You can't expect Newtek to simply wave a magic wand and change all of these economic issues overnight by funding more books. Book publishing and writing is a very lengthy and expensive process in all aspects. It is highly unlikely that the authors of the lightwave books nor the publishers make very much money off the publishing of books.

The LightWave community is made up of many people who do things because they want to help people rather than for the money. If you want help, you have come to the right place. And this community is a big part of what makes LightWave attractive to people who buy it. There is plenty of information out there to learn Lightwave well. And for the things you can't find, come here and ask. Someone will likely make you a nice mini custom tutorial to explain it.

The rest of the basics you can get from the manual and the books that are available. With that much information you'll be good to go.

Also there is www.lightwiki.com

Another good source of information.

Welcome to the community. :)

lserlohn
06-21-2008, 11:50 PM
Thank you Surrealist, and all above. I complained just because I want Lightwave become stronger and have a lager user group.

Nice to see you.

Oedo 808
06-22-2008, 12:25 AM
I second that Freudian slip! :beerchug:

Surrealist.
06-22-2008, 12:48 AM
Thank you Surrealist, and all above. I complained just because I want Lightwave become stronger and have a lager user group.

Nice to see you.

I agree and it is nice to have you aboard, adding yet another. Will be good to see you get going, posting your works and coming here for answers.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

colkai
06-22-2008, 03:08 AM
Damn.. 3E? He's already an entire letter ahead of us? Holy crap that's good. :D

Doh, stupid gfiners :p :D

sean hargreaves
06-23-2008, 12:46 PM
I want a book on LW modelling, that goes from simple to complex...and I want it now!

I was told one was in the works...........2 years ago.

.....so tired of it.............tired I tell you........................and sad and upset.

And......and..............whats the difference between weld points and merge, it seems like the same thing.......damn it all!!!!

colkai
06-23-2008, 01:08 PM
And......and..............whats the difference between weld points and merge, it seems like the same thing.......damn it all!!!!

Well, to paraphrase my boss, they are both identical, apart from their differences. :D ;)

sean hargreaves
06-23-2008, 03:21 PM
I slap you Colkai with my left white glove! :D

Surrealist.
06-23-2008, 09:49 PM
Well contrary to what seems to be a popular belief. Reading the manual never hurt anyone. Especially now with the F1 documentation search, you can find stuff pretty quickly.

JeffrySG
06-23-2008, 09:53 PM
After getting and moving to Lightwave I was actually pretty impressed with all of the Books, Videos, and amazingly supportive community that has free tutorials available. :)

BigHache
06-23-2008, 10:11 PM
Yup, I always read the manuals. Now, they won't teach you how to model per se, but knowing the tools is one step closer.

colkai
06-24-2008, 02:28 AM
I slap you Colkai with my left white glove! :D

:jester::jester::jester:

iojabba
06-24-2008, 02:59 AM
The help system is really nice now days. I use it all the time.

There are tons of tutorials out there. I have many of the Kurv studios vids and really like them (except for the highlighted cursor and click noises). Want to get the new "Introduction to Cartoon Character Modeling, Texturing and Animation"... anyone have a used copy to sell?

I'm going to have to agree that Essential Lightwave 9 is very good.

There is actually soo much out there that I didn't know where to begin.

richdj
06-24-2008, 02:27 PM
whats the difference between weld points and merge, it seems like the same thing.......damn it all!!!!

Weld points, does that, it welds the selected points to the last selected point.

Merge points, welds the points that are either on top of each other (automatic - mode) or it merges to those within a set distance (fixed - mode).

And I want the LScript book to be made, alas I don't ever see it happening...

Rich

Scazzino
06-24-2008, 02:56 PM
I'm currently in the process of finalizing a book deal. While not exclusively about LightWave (there will be some modo stuff too), it will be heavily focused on LightWave. It'll be a behind the scenes book about the creation of the pilot webisode of my new 3D Animated Web Series, The Autiton Archives.

I should be able to make an official announcement about it very soon, on The Autiton Archives WIP BLOG (http://www.dreamlight.com/insights/autitons/)... Stay tuned!

:D

meshmaster
06-26-2008, 09:22 PM
Not to discourage you from paying the folks that make these great books... but did you know that a good number of the books that do exist are on netlibrary http://www.netlibrary.com ... sure the whole book probably isn't there, but enough of it should be to get you an idea of which books to go ahead and buy.

meshmaster
06-26-2008, 09:34 PM
If you don't have a local library that's already a part of netlibrary... you can uh, sort of cheat with this:
http://www.librarypoint.org/netlibrary_signup.asp
They have a free library member sign up too
http://www.librarypoint.org/library_application_submit.asp

I hate to bring that up, but also hate for anyone not to have access to the netlibrary since it's such a great resource...

If you use the uh, cheat, method...
Alternate Address - I guess you could give a false PO box and then use the part for your real address that says:
If you are a University of Mary Washington student with a 1701 College Ave. address, or if you have a mailing address to a P.O. Box, please include your permanent address below.

or just use Option 3, Inside or outside the library: Ask a reference librarian to create an account for you in person or over the phone. If you need your account right now, this is your best option. Call 540/372-1144 and ask for the reference desk.

or Option 4, Inside or outside the library: If all else fails, complete the form below. Your information will be emailed to our reference librarians who will set up an account for you Monday - Friday, 9 - 5 p.m.

I hate to mention the cheat method, but have read on other forums about it so it's already something others are doing... it'd be far better if you had a local library that had access... but to me it doesn't seem like a really illegal thing to do if you have no plans on ever actually checking anything out of the real library, just the netlibrary and don't have local access to it co need a ccrl number... a lot of places do have local access though, so go check your local library if you can.