PDA

View Full Version : EPS Loader: Loading up odd things...

swingrays
06-20-2008, 01:15 PM
Is there some kind of magic trick to properly load an EPS image into Modeler and not have it look completely messed up? Sometimes it will have phantom polys sticking to corners like a spider web. Sometimes I'll have to delete parts that get left over. I'm doing logo designs here.

Is there something I should be doing in Illustrator as far a saving the file a certain way? I try various combinations in the EPS Loader dialog box, and sometimes I'll get results that way, but that's rare. Auto Axis drill on or off? Don't matter. There's seems to be no rhyme or reason why it works then it doesn't.

swing

BlueApple
06-20-2008, 01:36 PM
Inside of Illustrator I try to keep vector art as clean as possible (rectangles should only have 4 points, expand any booleaned shapes, etc.) Sometimes messing with import settings in Modeler will deliver a desired result, sometimes it won't. Merging points will help clean things up too. Often I select only the polys I want one at a time, and then cut and paste them into a new layer. This often reveals all sorts of duplicate geometry on the original layer that I simply kill.

-EsHrA-
07-07-2008, 02:37 PM
any of you got an eps in modeler saved with inkscape?
whatever i try modeler imports nothing.

inkscape issue?

mlon

rwhunt99
07-07-2008, 02:58 PM
EPS loader is always an adventure, the spder web effect is usually caused by overlapping points, just go in and tweak them a bit and should clear up. As mentioned , Garbage in - Garbage out, always try to keep it clean and simple for the best results.

-EsHrA-
07-07-2008, 03:15 PM
more simple than lets say a box?

mlon

antferrara
10-14-2008, 08:47 AM
Issue:
I imported an eps logo from illustrator. Upon import, the
holes in the letters are not holes anymore. How can I make hole in
the existing polygons before I extrude the logo? Please advise. If
there is a tutorial for this, please let me know. Thanks and best
regards,Anthony Ferrara

JeffrySG
10-16-2008, 06:56 AM
Issue:
I imported an eps logo from illustrator. Upon import, the
holes in the letters are not holes anymore. How can I make hole in
the existing polygons before I extrude the logo? Please advise. If
there is a tutorial for this, please let me know. Thanks and best
regards,Anthony Ferrara

I've found the best way is to extrude all of the shapes (including the holes). I make the holes a little longer than the main shapes, and then boolean subtract the holes out of the main shapes and then merge points. This seems to work all the time for me. If you have a really complicated shape you may need to Boolean it a few parts at a time.

JeffrySG
10-16-2008, 07:21 AM
ps. if your eps file is set up correctly you might be able to use the auto-axis drill on import, too.

POTO2220
10-23-2008, 08:28 AM
make sure your holes in illustrator are joined with their parent vector...so that if you did a fill in illustrator, the hole would knock out. then bring into lw and use auto-drill. works every time for me perfectly. have done it a couple hundred times with no failures. again, your art must be perfect in illustrator/freehand. like someone said, garbage in is garbage out.

BigHache
10-24-2008, 10:33 AM
Another thing I've found to be an issue on import is if you have two overlapping points in Illustrator that need to be Joined. You can't see that in Illustrator but it will be very obvious in LW.

Wrap
11-21-2008, 08:16 AM
I seem to keep getting missing letters entirely when importing eps logos, it seems that it will randomly select which letters it will import each time. lots of weirdness.