PDA

View Full Version : Maxtor 1 TB OneTouch troubles

sbloomberg
06-19-2008, 11:27 AM
Yes. I have learned my lesson. That said...

I've been using a Maxtor 1 TB one touch drive heavily for over a year now. Last week it decided to unmount itself multiple times. It then decided to not mount at all but the computer could still see it. Now the computer doesn't even know it exists and the blue light on the front has not lit up although if you place your hand on it, you can feel the drive running. (or just the fan).

I don't think it's totally dead but I would like to get the info (gigs of captured video from past projects) off. From what I've described, will a new enclosure work? Where do I get one?

I'm running on a Mac G5 PPC with 10.4.

Thanks.

-Steve

JeffrySG
06-19-2008, 12:29 PM
I usually search sites like Dealnews.com for good deals on things like enclosures or HDs.

http://dealnews.com/search.html?search=hard+drive+enclosure&x=0&y=0

My first thought is that it's not the enclosure though. What's the warranty on the HD? The ones with a 1 year warranty don't usually hold up as well as the ones with a 3 or 5 yr warranty. Is this a drive that you can just try to install internally into one of the bays? or can you borrow an enclosure from another drive to test it first?

Good luck with it either way!

sbloomberg
06-19-2008, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the info.

The drive is actually 2 500GB drives in a RAID 0 configuration.

-Steve

RebelHill
06-19-2008, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the info.

The drive is actually 2 500GB drives in a RAID 0 configuration.

-Steve

In which case ur kinda screwed, cos the raid controller is part of the enclosure...

Ive seen hundreds of external drives go in this manner, and it is usually the interface boards in the enclosures that are to blame.

Best advice... dont buy these big drives, they always fail after a year or two, go for multiple smaller drives in future, much more reliable.

rakker16mm
06-19-2008, 01:47 PM
IMHO when it comes to RAIDs you either go with the pro level or stick to separate smaller hard drives and use the sneaker net to back everything up.

The middle ground Pro-sumer variety are just too sketchy and when they go recovering the data is next to impossible. In contrast with pro level RAIDs you can loose any one of the drives in the RAID and you can still recover your data by replacing that drive. Then again that's why the good ones cost so much.

Jim_C
06-19-2008, 02:02 PM
IMHO when it comes to RAIDs you either go with the pro level or stick to separate smaller hard drives and use the sneaker net to back everything up.

The middle ground Pro-sumer variety are just too sketchy and when they go recovering the data is next to impossible. In contrast with pro level RAIDs you can loose any one of the drives in the RAID and you can still recover your data by replacing that drive. Then again that's why the good ones cost so much.

It's not the quality or pro/con-sumer 'level' of drive that sets whether you lose all your data when one drive goes down, it's simply the type of raid setup.

The Maxtor 1gig can be set up for redundancy if the user wants, but it comes out of the box as RAID 0.

beverins
06-19-2008, 02:53 PM
an expensive avenue to try is buy another one and remove hard drives from the failed unit and put them in the new unit.

Be sure to have spares handy (and you will, with the new units you remove).

Consider buying a USB to IDE/Sata adapter kit from Sabrent (newegg.com) and see how that goes as well. I like to buy bare drives and plug them into that

Andrewstopheles
06-19-2008, 09:34 PM
By using two drives as one with RAID you are doubling the chances that you will lose the data in a drive failure.
You need four drives, RAID 0+1 I think, to have the same size drive and redundancy so that if one fails you wont lose all your data, you just replace the failed drive and there's no data loss. Or two drives, RAID 1 i think, so that there's only one visible drive and the other is a mirror of that.

rakker16mm
06-19-2008, 10:08 PM
It's not the quality or pro/con-sumer 'level' of drive that sets whether you lose all your data when one drive goes down, it's simply the type of raid setup.

The Maxtor 1gig can be set up for redundancy if the user wants, but it comes out of the box as RAID 0.

I didn't know that, but even so I still have my doubts about the quality.

Phil
06-19-2008, 11:24 PM
Yes. I have learned my lesson. That said...

I've been using a Maxtor 1 TB one touch drive heavily for over a year now. Last week it decided to unmount itself multiple times. It then decided to not mount at all but the computer could still see it. Now the computer doesn't even know it exists and the blue light on the front has not lit up although if you place your hand on it, you can feel the drive running. (or just the fan).

I don't think it's totally dead but I would like to get the info (gigs of captured video from past projects) off. From what I've described, will a new enclosure work? Where do I get one?

Thanks.

-Steve

Still under warranty? If so, get an RMA with the vendor - advance it if needed so that you have the replacement unit on-site before you ship the dead one back.

If the vendor supports disk exchange (usual for these kind of units), you can then try the old drives within the new enclosure. If they work, you can then offload your data, swap the disks back and ship the old enclosure+old disks back.

The level of effort is determined by the vendor itself. For example, Western Digital tracks disks serial numbers along with enclosures. If that's the case for this vendor as well you will have to make sure that customer service is well informed of what you intend to do and that you might need to ship a mixture of serial numbers back to them.

Generally, though, the vendors are reasonable. They are seeing higher failure rates due to thermal issues in these enclosures (I confess to being very worried by the temperature some of these disks are being asked to run at), so they should be amenable to any resolution you can find for your problem.

meshpig
06-20-2008, 02:36 AM
Where do I get one?

Thanks.

-Steve

If you need an enclosure after all, try here.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-drives/External-Enclosures/

m

Pavlov
06-20-2008, 03:08 AM
i was joked from a reseller too, and i bought a 350 GB one touch for a price i could use to buy two Lacie of same size.

paolo

sbloomberg
06-20-2008, 09:12 AM
Thanks all for the info.

By the time I realized something was up, it was too late to try to back things up. It's not a tremendous loss. All that was on there was the captured video and rendered files. I can always re-capture and re-render if I have to. It's just disheartening.

I'm now thinking of just getting another 500 GB internal drive. I've thought heavily about my workflow and I think I've streamlined it enough so I don't have to have such a big drive. I'll use more DVD's and DVD-RW's to back things up on and that's relatively inexpensive insurance.

I'm beginning to think it was heat death that got the drive. That thing got hot.

I'll try it on my PC at home and see if I can pull anything off.

-Steve

Jim_C
06-20-2008, 10:19 AM
I didn't know that, but even so I still have my doubts about the quality.

Well true... put a crappy raid controller and/or crappy drives and it can be bad news.

A couple years ago. we bought four Lacie 500gig BigDisks that use 2 250gig drives in a raid 0 config and 3 of the 4 had the raid controller go out on them within 3 months. The replacements they sent have worked fine.

We bought two Maxtor 1TB externals and six WD 2TB externals about 6 weeks ago and (knock Knock) so far they have all performed well.

Titus
06-21-2008, 12:50 PM
I'm building a NAS server (http://www.freenas.org/) for my office with 4 SATA drives. The best of this option is all your machines on your net can read/write the server, an inexpensive solution.