PDA

View Full Version : Luxigons... gongongongon

Wrap
06-19-2008, 09:44 AM
Hi All,

I am building a scene that contains lots of lights to simulate led lighting strips shining through perspex.

I built a similar scene a while ago and it took ages to place all the lights and I was hoping to speed things up a little by using luxigons on this occasion.
However, when I slice up my strip in modeler and then add luxigons (I just leave the settings as standard as I intend to clone a light in layout) save the work and then synchronize layout, I then go to layout, lights, add, convert luxigons and clone a light that I have previously set up in the scene with all the settings that I want on my led strip, hit OK and..... NOTHING.

Any ideas or suggestions, I am sure that I must be missing something.
:help:

Wrap
06-19-2008, 10:28 AM
Dont panic,

I worked it out, not sure why this is but in modeler when I add the luxigons and then send to layout and convert and clone the luxigons it does nothing, however, I have fount the add luxigon tool in layout under modeler tools and then converted them and cloned my light and now it works.

Not sure why it didnt work the other way though. Any ideas?

prospector
06-19-2008, 11:06 AM
In modeler if you make Luxis, you have to slightly...just SLIGHTLY move the Luxi polys to the outside of the object.
I always do a copy/paste of polys I want to luxize so I can dissolve them in layout.And I furthur refine them as to color or intensity. Or spots or points.
It helps in layout because I can grab all lights in say layer 3 and globally set them.
If you don't then layout will consider them as to be inside the object and the light won't penitrate the object.

That may not be programically correct terms but that's how I find it works.

Wrap
06-20-2008, 02:27 AM
Thanks Prospector,

I did copy and past the polys into a new layer before adding the luxiz and in layout when I converted them the lights did not get cloned rather than not showing up in rendering.

Does that make sense? I think it does.

Now that I have got it working through adding and converting in layout life is much sweeter and I saved a good hour and a half not cloning and moving lights and messing around with them. Thanks whoever invented the whole luxigon thing.

Wrap
06-20-2008, 05:02 AM
Also on this subject,

Does anyone know, once the luxigon lights are added and working, how do you find them in the scene editor so that they can be hidden like normal lights, it just makes it easier to see what else is going on in the scene.

Wrap
06-20-2008, 05:25 AM
Dont worry, I found it.

nickej
08-26-2008, 12:27 PM
Hi--
I'm using 9.5 and have found that Luxigons is completely gone. When adding them in Modeler or Layout there is no visual feedback as to whether anything has been added (didn't there used to be a little light symbol?) and there is no "Convert Luxigons" option under Add>Lights or under additional plugins. I tried "Convert Powergons", since Luxigons are I guess a sort of subset of Powergons. No go, and no mention of any changes to the Luxigon system in the documentation.
Any help much appreciated.