PDA

View Full Version : Wow! What's going on here?

WilliamVaughan
07-25-2003, 03:08 PM
ftp://gecko.newtek.com/multimedia/misc/

MHendry
07-25-2003, 03:11 PM
Hehehe, AWESOME:D

Steve Warner
07-25-2003, 03:12 PM
Woah!!! :eek:

Earl
07-25-2003, 03:13 PM
:o *yawn* I've seen it before...

err, no I haven't! Damn that's cool! :cool:

Alliante
07-25-2003, 03:26 PM
Seeing developments like this is why I'm glad I chose Lightwave as my package of choice.

You guys rock. If I ever get down in San Antonio anytime soon, remind me to buy you a drink :D

Lamont
07-25-2003, 03:36 PM
Whoo hoo!!

WilliamVaughan
07-25-2003, 03:42 PM
For thos ethat didn't catch the movies....Those are Verts being moved on an animated character in Layout......The first movie shows moving the verts per frame...and the second shows moving the verts for all frames....Makes me all warm inside :)

thekho
07-25-2003, 03:44 PM
Wooow. Cool character animation. I'm looking forward to see new awesome Lightwave 8!!!!!

robinson
07-25-2003, 04:09 PM
WOW great, but seriously what’s that ???

And the next logical step is just one tool, not the separation between modeller and layouter !!!

BTW don’t know if that’s good.

Hey Newtek you should develop a standard Lightwave (two apps) and the merged Lightwave (one tool, the future Lightwave or mecca or whatever ?).
Avid is developing two tool too , Softimage and XSI (is there still support for softimage ?)

WilliamVaughan
07-25-2003, 04:17 PM
What you're seeing in these videos is vertices being adjusted in layout, after animation has already been applied. This same technology could, for example, be used to fix creases in cloth after soft body dynamics had been run on it, or fixing problems on character's knee joint. We're really excited about the newest addition to the LW development team - Daisuke Ino is an amazing guy!

milkman
07-25-2003, 04:20 PM
sweeeeet!

hrgiger
07-25-2003, 04:24 PM
This is one of the best things I've seen so far and yet it seems like such a fundamental thing to be able to animate individual points in Layout. Now people should have no excuse to having badly deformed joints in animations.

8 is great.

cresshead
07-25-2003, 04:27 PM
as we say here in melton mowbray..[u.k]............
FTF!

and i thought that lw8 would be "a step forward"looking to me as you've strapped on some rockets!...
andyour step is around 3000miles!

looks ace!

steve g

SplineGod
07-25-2003, 04:31 PM
Cool stuff. Better then smart skin or foreskin. :)

trick
07-25-2003, 04:32 PM
BTW...what will be the minimum system requirements for [8]

(teasing's just not fair)

Doug Nicola
07-25-2003, 04:36 PM
Holy heck. Bone dynamics, vertice-adjustment/animation, Ortho....

Swweeetttnessss!!!!!!

robinson
07-25-2003, 04:41 PM
Hey Proton is this really 8 ?

Great feature to adjust vertices in Layouter, that’s the reason for the one application question… again !!! I don’t know if I want that, maybe that’s the great and logical thing about Lightwave, two programs !!!

I guess you guys can’t hear something like that anymore, its kind a like the one undo in layouter feature request, oh wait there are more undo’s in LW 8…
Hey, I’m really looking forward to Lightwave 8, maybe I will organize a small party over here for the live streaming !!!

Mike Pauza
07-25-2003, 04:44 PM
Keyable vertices are really cool.

hrgiger
07-25-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by SplineGod
Cool stuff. Better then smart skin or foreskin. :)

Well, I wouldn't say that. With Smartskin, you set it up once and every time you bend the arm, it conforms to the shape you want. Now if we want to use animatable points in layout, we'll have to adjust them everytime you bend the joint. But hey, I'm so happy that we're able to animate points in Layout, I don't care.

When Lee listed some of the things that will be in 8 I thought to myself, oh the rest of the features that are unnanounced will be small things, bug fixes, interface changes, stuff like that but this comes as a major and pleasant surprise. Hopefully there's more good stuff to be announced.

SplineGod
07-25-2003, 04:47 PM
This is only the beginning. :)
I hope people are going to Siggraph or going to be watching the stream.

SplineGod
07-25-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by hrgiger
Well, I wouldn't say that. With Smartskin, you set it up once and every time you bend the arm, it conforms to the shape you want. Now if we want to use animatable points in layout, we'll have to adjust them everytime you bend the joint. But hey, I'm so happy that we're able to animate points in Layout, I don't care.

When Lee listed some of the things that will be in 8 I thought to myself, oh the rest of the features that are unnanounced will be small things, bug fixes, interface changes, stuff like that but this comes as a major and pleasant surprise. Hopefully there's more good stuff to be announced.
I agree! Just having the ability to animate vertices in layout is killer. Keep in mind that Lee, William and Deuce have only been posting little teasers. The BIG picture is awesome! :)

mrunion
07-25-2003, 05:03 PM
Coming from Originally Imagine where there was only one program, but "multiple tools that were separate" (model in one, animate in another), then moving to Blender where everything is in one interface/package/app.....

I prefer two apps.

I can Model when I want, animate when I want, use a single button two switch between the two, etc. Seems the best way for me.

Chris S. (Fez)
07-25-2003, 05:21 PM
Lee was holding out on us! That is awesome, though I hope there is some sort of Magnet or Dragnet tool. Please please say there is some sort of set it and forget it smartskin feature.

Stranahan
07-25-2003, 05:31 PM
I wasn't holding out - I was giving big picture stuff. There are a lot of specifics coming in the next few weeks. Everything won't be revealed at SIGGRAPH.

cresshead
07-25-2003, 05:38 PM
ooooh...:(
i think i need to change my clothes!....:p

:D :D :D :eek:

i think i need a surf board for lightwave 8!

what a ride!

steve g

lord
07-25-2003, 05:53 PM
Good lord, I just checked and yes I really did wet myself.
That's just fantastic, I'm ecstatic.
I'm almost speechless..

This stuff will be in [8] yes?

I...I....

...think I'll have to sit down for a bit...

Cman
07-25-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by hrgiger
Well, I wouldn't say that. With Smartskin, you set it up once and every time you bend the arm, it conforms to the shape you want. Now if we want to use animatable points in layout, we'll have to adjust them everytime you bend the joint.

I should imagine, if they points are keyframable they should be capable of being driven by expressions.

HowardM
07-25-2003, 06:07 PM
Well, Ill be damned!
Is that Modeler within Layout basically!?!?!
:):):):)

Lamont
07-25-2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Stranahan
Everything won't be revealed at SIGGRAPH. So, the workstations that have LW[8] will have features locked out? Because I will sit there and dig... all day if I have to.

Wade
07-25-2003, 09:15 PM
Sounds like the 8 you will play with Monday will be a proto 8 with some, or most of the features that will be in 8 upon initial released. Must be all the changes are so huge that they can't cram them in all at once thus the note that 8 will be the start, and a few "free" point releases will follow in short order.

Wish I was not so busy makin money with Lightwave or I would be there as well. One must make hay while the sun is shinning.

:cool:

Lamont
07-25-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Wade
Wish I was not so busy makin money with Lightwave or I would be there as well. One must make hay while the sun is shinning.Yeah, I kinda don't want to go to Siggraph sometimes... and it's like less than 8 miles from my house this year.

Get a laptop and join the party :).

Wade
07-25-2003, 11:23 PM
Lamont,

Some time ago you mentioned in a post that you were rather close to the big event, and well I had thought of asking if I could rent some floor space from you to crash if all rooms were book in town like they were last year. Last year was a last minute go or no go with work as well and I only got a room for a night in town and then had to drive some ways out of town to find a room that was not a total dive.

Hope you can make at least the fun stuff. - 8 - miles to see 8!

Over the last three months I think I have been working every night and most weekends as well as my regular 9 to 7 job. Heck here it is Friday night and I am working past midnight to have work done for a meeting in the afternoon Saturday. SIGGRAPH would have been a nice distraction.

Laptop would be a great addition to the tool kit, but clients have me on a short leash the tight dead lines.

Best to you enjoy the show.

Wade

hopicus
07-26-2003, 02:32 AM
So hey, is anyone else not getting any sound? is there something a bit messed up on my end or is the clip itself soundless... sound or no sound though, its all looking quite cool with all kinds potential to be keeping me up at night with the possibilities dancing in my head...:D

Wade
07-26-2003, 03:18 AM
No sound in the clip as far as I cant tell - none needed.

CB_3D
07-26-2003, 03:32 AM
looks a lot like the point manipulation plug that demoed a few months ago.

i hope the deformation can be co-related to events like bone rotation and such.

Librarian
07-26-2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by SplineGod
This is only the beginning. :)
I hope people are going to Siggraph or going to be watching the stream.
What do I need to watch the stream? And is it accessible via newtek.com ? Sorry for the dumb:rolleyes: questions, but I want to play it safe.

Matt
07-27-2003, 07:48 AM
I guess it's cool, I don't do character stuff so maybe I'm not as excited as everyone else!

Still, great to see these big advances in LW.

For me the best thing will be enhancements to the renderer (at least faster GI / AA / Area Lights)

novadesigns
07-27-2003, 08:47 PM
Man, this is really phenominal stuff! So I have a question, will save trnasformed work for these point changes or will they update through the hub? Or is this just a keyframable per scene only kinda thing?

Does that make sense?

hrgiger
07-27-2003, 09:58 PM
I would assume that changes made to the points in Layout will not affect the base model back in modeler even if the hub is running. I would assume it only has to do with the current scene at hand.

Bytehawk
07-28-2003, 05:41 AM
It would be good if we could save the transformed model to an endomorph

Dodgy
07-28-2003, 05:48 AM
I should imagine you will be able to save as an endomorph if the point animation is done as a deformation plug... You can with any other deformer...

JohnD
07-28-2003, 11:58 AM
Sweetness:D

CB_3D
07-28-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Bytehawk
It would be good if we could save the transformed model to an endomorph

yep, and than have a new endomorph class that also works on top of bone deformation. this could be Follower´ed to bone rotations etc.Hm, actually a new and powerfull Jointmorph plug.
And then, with the deformer apllied, we could go in and re-edit it and see it updated when we hit Play.

If this can´t be done in 8, 8.1 will do it, i am sure.

It would be a dream come true!

:D

Brett H.
07-28-2003, 06:20 PM
Somehow things like this lead me to believe that LW [8] is going to show alot of people that NT know what they are doing, that the Luxology nonsense was just that, and that someday, in the not-too-distant future, you may read, in the making-of-huge-hollywood-movie writeup, "Modeling was done in (insert app here) and all animation was done in Lightwave" like you hear with Maya now.

Here's to the future of NT and LW.

Brett