PDA

View Full Version : Interesting job chart...

Emmanuel
02-23-2003, 02:41 AM
http://3drender.com/jobs/jobcount.htm

SplineGod
02-23-2003, 08:14 PM
Jeremy says a couple of things that make this interesting:

"his survey by 3dRender.com scans advertised job opportunities in 3D graphics to see which 3D software experience is most requested by brand, at companies working primarily in feature film and high-end commercial production. In reading the chart to the left, remember that the changes and trends can be as important as which software is mentioned the most.

This small survey is intended as an extra source of insight into industry trends, but has not been posted in order to lead anyone into switching software packages away from the systems they use best. Fully mastering one application, and demonstrating professional level skills, is a much higher priority than spending all of your time learning new packages ."

I have a couple of comments:
1. Many places do not advertise job vacancies unless they cannot fill them internally by asking current employees to recommend potential candidates. This is faster and easier then interviewing people off the street or wading thru demo reels.
2. Just because someone advertises a job doesnt mean they are hiring. Many places do what is called resume trolling. The are simply gathering resumes in case they get work. Sometimes theyll do it to give the appearance to their competitors that they have work. This is a common practice but frustrating if youve been out of work for awhile.
I think Jeremys last statement is the most interesting. MASTER your current software. If you are good you WILL be hired no matter what you use. Ive see it happen all the time. :)

Emmanuel
02-24-2003, 05:58 AM
Hi,

my personal recipe is this:

1.Choose package You feel good with
2.Learn the job
3.Exercise, exercise, exercise, develop style, exercise, get training material from Larry and Dan, exercise some more
4.Create short animation, avoid spaceship explosions and chrome balls on checkerboard, use compositing software
5.Create THE animation and learn a second 3d package in the sparetime
6.Make cool friends in the industry by beeing a hard working quality artist people can depend on
7.Live happily ever after

kevin3d
02-25-2003, 06:35 AM
I would be very interested to know which 3D app is most often mentioned in advertises for remote freelancers. When someone is looking for freelancers to help with a project, which app is most often mentioned. Most of the freelancers around here use LW.

I am struck by how often I'm read that a project was modeled in lightwave & animated in maya.

SplineGod
02-25-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by kevin3d
I would be very interested to know which 3D app is most often mentioned in advertises for remote freelancers. When someone is looking for freelancers to help with a project, which app is most often mentioned. Most of the freelancers around here use LW.

I am struck by how often I'm read that a project was modeled in lightwave & animated in maya.
You would be surprised at how many projects are modeled in Lightwave and animated in Lightwave. :)
Most people I know who freelance use at least Lightwave.
It doesnt matter what you use as a freelancer as long as you get the data to the client in the format they want.
That being the case I would look at tools that would help in trnaslating data formats between 3d apps such as polytrans. There are others too. :)

Lebish
02-26-2003, 12:10 PM
LightWave can do the work of a what used to take 30 people a month in about a day. So anyone who really understands the art. Knows that Emmanuel is correct, practice practice practice.

On top of that people that buy software for other people to use, usually buy..according to some buzz word.. So, this can definitley effect who is using what.. Don't get me Wrong.. Props..to all who deserve. But as for me . I found all I need in LightWave.

Also, with all the advances in Character animation, since Motion Mixer, ACS4, and Vertex Paint. Who can even keep up. My point is LightWave rocks and thats all that matters. Those who can keep up will understand. As for me my brain hurts.

kenneth
03-02-2003, 10:20 PM
I think this is a good example of why not to follow surveys.

While I do believe that Maya enjoys a larger portion of the job market, it could easily be interpreted from these numbers that there's simply a higher turnover in Maya-based jobs!

Sheesh...

Epita
03-03-2003, 01:41 PM
Practice practice practice, give up and practice some more! I have used loads of 3d apps, from infini-d to LW, 3d studio, used maya once... WORLDCRAFT YEAH! umm, i like that its simpile to use and easy to master, unlike LW!

Epita

Meaty
03-03-2003, 02:14 PM
Dont forget, it is only a sample of "feature film and high-end commercial production." I am sure these numbers change dramatically depending on what arena you are trying to enter. For example, I do visualization for a defense contractor. Lots of 3D jobs not in feature film and commercials that use lightwave that are just as fun, but not quite as glamerous =]

Max Wolf
03-03-2003, 02:35 PM
:eek: :D
got to get into 3d stuff more

riki
03-03-2003, 06:49 PM
The truth of the matter is we all enjoy producing artwork. So if you want my advice, quit your job, drive a cab two days a week, live off bread and water and take nine months off to produce your own kick arse demo reel. Make sure you have a website to document the progress.