PDA

View Full Version : Clip Map Help

Froch
06-19-2008, 08:58 AM
Hello all,
New user here, and definately not a modeller. So please speak slowly. :) Hopefully, I am relaying my question correctly.
I am working in v7.5 and trying to clip map an image so that I can pull out a headshot, and discard the background (in fact, I want to do exactly what is shown in the manual, under pages 9.41 and 9.42) I've setup the pix in photoshop and have extracted the headshot, and built an alpha channel. I've tried to use both the PSD file and also TIFF to clip map, but both have the same result.
The alpha seems to look correct in that it is outlining the image I want to pull out, but when I render the frame, the highlights on the forehead, nose and teeth are removed with the background. The manual unfortunately does not give a proceedure for the feature, so I'm lost beyond hitting buttons......and there's alot of buttons.....
Thanks in advance.
Paul

fgreen
06-19-2008, 09:26 AM
Could not tell from your question, but when constructing your Alpha did you save it as a separate image?

If not, in photoshop, copy your alpha channel to a new image. Convert it to grayscale or even a Bitmap. Save the image in a format that supports grayscale or bitmap iimages. (Targa [tga], Windows Bitmap [bmp] or pict on mac).

After color mapping your object with the color image in the color channel of the surface editor, use this separate alpha image as the clip map (object properties render panel I think).

Froch
06-19-2008, 09:10 PM
Thanks fgreen!
I figured it would be something simple. I didn't make the leap that each was acting separately and the clip map was simply a mask.........I was blinded by the 'alpha' word.
Thanks so much!
Paul