PDA

View Full Version : Recent VT4-VT5 Upgrade

tbonekel
06-18-2008, 06:11 PM
I recently upgraded my system to VT-5. I still have the VT-4 card and so far I am not really happy with how things have worked out. I have some older SATA hard drives and with the VT-4 software, I did have some playback issues. Every now and then, the playback would stop for about 4-6 seconds and continue. I actually thought that it might not be drive problems but hardware/software conflicts. I decided that I would upgrade and took the plunge. I don't have a lot of money so I just decided to do the software upgrade. Now with speed edit, this is a nightmare. My editing jobs all run around 60 minutes in length and it will not playback smoothly at all. I'm using DVI compressed video when capturing and I have to let the entire project render completely before I playback and record to DVD. I was told that the SATA drives should work fine and that I should be able to capture uncompressed video. I can't even get close to that. Now I don't know what to do. Should I upgrade my hard drives? Newtek already talked me into getting a new video card and that didn't work. I've done everything I know to do short of getting a completely new system and I can't afford that. I'm venting more than anything, but I thought maybe someone else might have had this problem.

Quiet1onTheSet
06-18-2008, 09:52 PM
I recently upgraded my system to VT-5. I still have the VT-4 card and so far I am not really happy with how things have worked out. I have some older SATA hard drives and with the VT-4 software, I did have some playback issues. Hi, TBone' - Have you placed your system specs anywhere on the forums, that you can link us to?

Let us know more if you can. Meanwhile, is it accurate for us to assume your SATA drives, under Windows OS, are software striped only (not employing any hardware RAID controller)?

What processor(s) have you in your machine, and is the Front-side buss speed at least 800MHz, etc, etc?

Q1

billmi
06-19-2008, 07:11 AM
Yep, more info would definitely help - including the drive speeds and how they are connected (i.e. mobo controller, separate controller card on same buss as VT card, or on different bus, etc.)

tbonekel
06-19-2008, 08:54 AM
Sorry, I'm sure that would be of some help. Here they are.

MB - Super X5DA8
Processors - Xeon 2.66 (2)
OS - Windows XP pro sp2
Memory - 1.0 gb
Graphics - GeForce 7600 GS
Data Drives - Western Digital WD2500ks (2)
Raid Controller - XFX Revo64 (sp-pcc3). Here are the specs from the XFX website. Specifications: Chipset: NC3000. Ports: 3. PCI: 32/66. SDRAM Cache (100MHz): 32-512 MB. Drive Burst (MB/sec.): 200 (300 SATA). Drive Sustain (MB/sec.): 100+. Array Support: 2. Array Support: 2.

As far as what bus the controller is on, i'm not sure. you might need to help me figure that one out.

Thanks for the quick response so far.

billmi
06-23-2008, 08:12 AM
How is the raid set up for your hard drives? Are they raided together on the card, or is the card just controlling them as single drives and the drives striped together in Windows?

The general concensus from the forum has been that for consistent streaming of video data, better performance is achieved by striping the drives together in Windows. I know in all tests that I've run, that has been my experience. Hardware raid has sometimes given me better average data transfer, but software striping has given higher minimum transfer rates (i.e. the lows are lower on hardware even though the average is higher.)

4-6 second pauses sound pretty extreme to me - like maybe something else is periodically putting in a significant system load - like a virus checker, or something.