PDA

View Full Version : 9.31 crashing!

abood1122
06-18-2008, 03:00 PM
hi everyone, yesterday i was working in the modeler and suddenly when i used the rounder tool the modeler crashed, and everytime i use it does the same thing.

another thing, sometimes when i leave the lw open come back to it it crashes.
using Vista 32 bit, and all gfx drivers updated

(sorry but my english is a little bad)

Smokie
06-18-2008, 03:47 PM
Yes, I just bought 9.3.1. I run Vista 32bit. Installs differently then said in the manual.

- Layout crashes alot (I try to use still collision object with hardFX objects, crashes everytime I change a setting or try to 'calculate'). Seems to try to do something, but will just hang and then 'Not Responding'
- Modeler will crash but not nearly as much as layout. Modeler will act the same way...try to use a tool and the program seems to just stop or hang and then you click something (anywhere) and you get 'Not Responding'. If you saved your object and then run modeler again, load your object and use the tool you just tried to use and it will work sometimes. Very wierd.
- I also find modeler will 'Not Responding' sometime when I leave it open and come back to my computer.

RudySchneider
06-18-2008, 07:00 PM
Rounder can be a bit tricky. It requires that you understand a few rules to get the results you may be after. There are several threads where it's been discussed at length. One you migt want to check out is http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71909&highlight=Rounder

abood1122
06-18-2008, 09:12 PM
sm0key, I have exactly most of the problems you have.
But how to fix them, we are waiting for someone to reply :)
rudy, yes am a beginner and am not aware of somthings like that, ty dude :) (btw i was applying a step from a video tutorial)

Dodgy
06-18-2008, 09:28 PM
I'm not experiencing any crashing with hardfx or collisions. Could you give more details? Might be a driver problem, config problem (though that's unlikely if it's a fresh install)?

abood1122
06-19-2008, 03:25 AM
am using the trial version.

Smokie
06-19-2008, 09:40 AM
I was following the tutorial on this site about cereal. Showing you the different ways you could go about placing a bunch of balls into a bowl. One way was to array a single ball into a rectangular column and goto layout and use 'collision' on the bowl and HardFX on all the balls. When I try to change a setting (ex. the gravity for the balls) layout would hang and 'Not Responding' or when I try to 'calculate'. it might be my system config I think because when I deleted 3/4 of the balls and tried with just a few balls it kinda worked...real choppy and laggy.

Dell XPS M1530 Laptop
LightWave 3D 9.3.1
Vista Home Premium 32 bit /w SP1
Intel Core2 Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83GHz
3.00 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

I think the problem is with my vid card and the set of drivers I have installed. It was apparently ok for vista users with 8400M GS cards to download the current drivers from their site (NVIDIA website) so I did. I recently found out that the 'M' in GeForce 8400M GS was a dell manufactured card which needed to have its own update/drivers that Dell releases for their vid cards from the dell site?! so IDK what to do lol I dont like installing and uninstalling drivers.

As for the license key.. I was doing simple models in modeler earlier today and rendering in layout for still images and it never crashed once. THis is after I made my own license.key file and put it in the folder. I did have the trial installed before and I uninstalled it and then installed the 9.3.1 Disk.

In layout the popup window that says 'Control is disabled' means that its locked and layout is running in discovery mode??

Smokie
06-19-2008, 09:51 AM
I was following the tutorial on this site about cereal. Showing you the different ways you could go about placing a bunch of balls into a bowl. One way was to array a single ball into a rectangular column and goto layout and use 'collision' on the bowl and HardFX on all the balls. When I try to change a setting (ex. the gravity for the balls) layout would hang and 'Not Responding' or when I try to 'calculate'. it might be my system config I think because when I deleted 3/4 of the balls and tried with just a few balls it kinda worked...real choppy and laggy.

Dell XPS M1530 Laptop
LightWave 3D 9.3.1
Vista Home Premium 32 bit /w SP1
Intel Core2 Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83GHz
3.00 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

I think the problem is with my vid card and the set of drivers I have installed. It was apparently ok for vista users with 8400M GS cards to download the current drivers from their site (NVIDIA website) so I did. I recently found out that the 'M' in GeForce 8400M GS was a dell manufactured card which needed to have its own update/drivers that Dell releases for their vid cards from the dell site?! so IDK what to do lol I dont like installing and uninstalling drivers.

But I was doing simple models in modeler and rendering in layout for still images and it never crashed once. THis is after I made my own license.key file and put it in the folder.

In layout the popup window that says 'Control is disabled' means that its locked and layout is running in discovery mode??

Smokie
06-23-2008, 10:52 AM
I reverted back to the manufactures drivers for my 8400M GS card. Another thing I nothiced is in the Nvidia panel there are a bunch of options you can set. Can anyone tell me if I should change any of these? I dont know what they do but obviously will have some effect when modeling and rendering.

Anisotropic filtering: Application-controlled
Antialiasing - Gamma correction: On
Antialiasing - Mode: Application-controlled
Antialiasing - Setting: Application-control (greyed out option)
Antialiasing - Transparency: Off
Conformant texture damp: Use Hardware
Error reporting: Off
Extension limit: Off
Force mipmaps: None
Multi-display/Mixed-GPU acceleration: Single display performance
Texture filtering - Ansiotropic sample options: Off
Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias: Clamp
Texture filtering - Quality
Texture filtering - Trilinear optimization: On
Threaded optimization: Auto
Triple buffering: Off
Vetical sync: Use the 3D application setting

Just wondering if I could change any of these for even greater results or better performance?

mtvedten
06-24-2008, 06:58 AM
I have found it is my objects causing the crashing - in my case anyway.

I went back to an early model, and everyting went fine for hours.
But when i loaded in a PNG texture it crashed and got al lot more unstable after that.

So now I am animating the earlier version of the character object, and only exchanging to the model with textures before rendering.

The problem-object has two UV-texturelayers on top of each other where one is a sequense. Maybe it someting there?
The PNGs is exportet from Flash 9 with alpha. I will investigate further when I have time.

Morten