PDA

View Full Version : Moving around when theres no keyframes!?!?!?

ianay
06-18-2008, 02:15 PM
Problem Im having is...
heres an example.. (one close to something i just completed)
I have foot at keyframe 1 sitting at x=100mm and keyframe 20 at x=120mm
(I only show one axis but all axis act the same)

Then I decide Ive changed my mind and I want to have the foot stay still for those 20 keyframes..
Soooo..
I go to kf 1 and copy it to kf 20

The result?
KF 1 and 20 are both identical but you would expect the foot to stay stationary in between..

It doesnt, it moves around around the general movement area on its own before settling back to the 100mm I wanted it to be at kf 20
Theres no keyframes in between kf1 and kf20!

The only way Ive solved this is by keyframing frame 2 and 19 the same as 1 and 20! This cures most cases but recently I had one where I had to keyframe 25 frames individually in between!
Its getting annoying now..
Any help is greatly appreciated...
Thanks

arsad
06-18-2008, 02:57 PM
set tension to 1 or make the keyframes linear, then the foot stays put!

If you don't know where to do that... check the graph editor "ctrl + F2"

tribbles
06-18-2008, 04:39 PM
The default curve for keyframes is TCB spline, which tries to make a smooth transition between the keyframes.

Unfortunately, it's not linear, and has a 'spring' to it, so it'll settle down to the end keyframe.

As arsad says, Ctrl+F2 to look at the graph editor, and look at the shape of the graph - it'll show you what it's doing. If you want it to stop exactly at the end, change the tension, or make it linear (select the end keyframe position, and change the curve type to linear).

ianay
06-20-2008, 10:31 AM
Thanks for your help guys, I knew there was an unwanted default curve involved somewhere!