PDA

View Full Version : Frozen

Eugeny
06-18-2008, 03:19 AM
Hi, I'm going to recreate this scene:

http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/7167/bgop3.jpg

My wife was downloaded this picture and unfortunately don't remember the source address... So if some one know the name of the author pleas tell me.
Anyway it's only reference for the scene/mood. It's looks like some heavy fog /blizzard here with strong light beam from above. To me it's looks like abandoned ship docked somewhere, were is very cold.
Since no one want to show the idea, i'll keep it in secret as long as possible. But here is the short description:
Horror scene, with location from reference.
Will be one character in scene.

Started from camera matching for modeling. Meanwhile i have bunch of boxes placed in front the camera :)

hrgiger
06-18-2008, 03:43 AM
Cool pic. Almost looked like an underwater scene at first glance.

Eugeny
06-18-2008, 03:51 AM
Yes indeed cool pic , it's some kind of heavy smoke/fog/mist/snow, but it's on the water - look at the border of that ship (i'm assuming that this is the ship) there is some ice attached to.

Eugeny
06-18-2008, 06:58 AM
Little update, working on this right now :)

Nangleator
06-18-2008, 07:11 AM
Feels like John Carpenter's The Thing. McCready's shack.

But the light from above tells me it isn't based on that.

Eugeny
06-18-2008, 07:35 AM
This is why i make the horror scene :) The thing is one of the best horror movies ever !

SP00
06-18-2008, 07:42 AM
I like were this is going. :thumbsup:

Nangleator
06-18-2008, 07:57 AM
Favorite quotes: "It's weird and it's pissed off." and "It's gone, McCready!"

Eugeny
06-18-2008, 08:41 AM
Unfortunately i know this film in Russian (translated), pity, looks like i missed lot of cool expressions.

Eugeny
06-18-2008, 03:37 PM
update

hrgiger
06-18-2008, 04:15 PM
Coming along nice.:thumbsup:

Eugeny
06-19-2008, 01:39 AM
Finlay i have an ice at the bottom of the frame (albeit i need to cover with snow the woods what was dropped there), it's real pain in the a*s to model something according to the picture with out modeler tools in layout. The Proton's technique of manipulating vertexes in layout with SoftFX - saved the night :D
Also the first attempt of lighting.

JohnMarchant
06-19-2008, 02:29 AM
Looking good so far, the edge of the ice i think would not be so smooth or are you going to rough it up a bit. Cant wait to see how your going to do the atmospherics.

Regards, John

Eugeny
06-20-2008, 04:04 AM
Well it's only modeler screen grabs, so i'll add some displacement to ice in layout.
Turned all geometry to CC in order to get rounded corners and areas covered with snow.
Working on atmosphere now, the biggest challenge is to have visible mist/fog that not alter the ship.

richdj
06-20-2008, 04:57 AM
Love the look your going for..Good work...

Rich

Eugeny
06-20-2008, 06:32 AM
A first atmosphere render with some materials applied (sigma2 for the snow and ice, and Dielectric for water). It's exposed version (more dark to get more contrast).

Tippsy
06-22-2008, 08:09 PM
Looking amazing! I love the feel! How did you do the snow cause that is looking real nice.

JohnMarchant
06-22-2008, 08:29 PM
I can feel a little tutorial coming on, Please ??

Regards, John

Eugeny
06-23-2008, 03:12 AM
There is nothing special about the snow, just Sigma2 (see screen grab with parameters), for snowed surfaces I'm used the same Sigma2 but with 25 mm Distance and some turbulence bump controlled by slope gradient (for vertical surfaces there the snow mast be more rough). Here is the more close look and screen grab. Ah, all things are build for scale (the whole building/ship is around 5.5 meter in hight). Also all models are CC and i use some displacement (nodal) similar to screen grab of snowed surface, it's make more puffy snow on top of surfaces.

evolross
06-28-2008, 01:31 PM
That's rad.

Eugeny
06-29-2008, 01:21 AM
That's rad.
No, actually it's ra, even r ...

Eugeny
07-08-2008, 02:21 PM
Finlay got time to do something with this project. Added some icicles on the antennas and roofs.

Eugeny
07-08-2008, 02:54 PM
And overall look

Matt
07-08-2008, 03:04 PM
Feels like John Carpenter's The Thing. McCready's shack.

That was on TV last night, despite owning it, I watched it again, such a great film, holds its own even today.

Matt
07-08-2008, 03:06 PM
Oh, and awesome execution, thought you were still posting the ref photo until I realised it was the rendered version!

Excellent work!

Eugeny
07-08-2008, 03:58 PM
Oh, and awesome execution, thought you were still posting the ref photo until I realised it was the rendered version!

Wow, thanx :D

Nangleator
07-08-2008, 08:52 PM
Yeah, feels really icy now!

Iain
07-09-2008, 05:20 AM
That looks great Eugeny.
I feel like I should be able to glimpse something in the distance.

Eugeny
07-09-2008, 05:30 AM
That looks great Eugeny.
I feel like I should be able to glimpse something in the distance.

U feel right - will be some "thing" in one of the windows :) :devil:

Matt
07-09-2008, 05:58 AM
U feel right - will be some "thing" in one of the windows :) :devil:

I can see it now! ;)

Eugeny
07-09-2008, 06:43 AM
LOL :D almost like i wanted :D

Eugeny
07-09-2008, 08:17 AM
More icicles ...

Mitja
07-10-2008, 05:29 AM
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr .... !!! :)

Eugeny
07-10-2008, 06:10 AM
I trying to add more details (more icicles) but looks like them too small to be seen from distance , even from closer look they are nearly existent (apart from the big ones on the corners).

Eugeny
07-10-2008, 08:04 AM
Ok, remodeled the icicles (now they bigger and can be sen). Also the few tests with moving light (it's trowed flare according to scene idea). Need to get rid on lance flare.

Thomas M.
07-10-2008, 08:07 AM
Please give us another lighting situation. Sun and blue skies please just to see how the textures will react.

Eugeny
07-10-2008, 09:28 AM
Actually, if u will read my first post, u will see that i I'm trying to recreate some particular photo. But i will make some test with day light, no problem :thumbsup:

B.t.w. thanx for your signature link :)

Eugeny
07-10-2008, 03:38 PM
Please give us another lighting situation. Sun and blue skies please just to see how the textures will react.

Just a quick sky with distant light and FG ... The black boat body is still untextured.

Eugeny
07-15-2008, 02:11 PM
Started yo build a main character , him wearing classic parka (i use one of my old models for the proportions - it's will not be included in final animation).

Eugeny
07-24-2008, 05:05 PM
Little update, really don't have time for this (running two projects at the same time plus this one as the third :) )

Eugeny
07-25-2008, 04:42 PM
Update

richdj
07-25-2008, 04:48 PM
Very nice updates, If I can say one thing, the elbow area looks like it could use more polys.. Although, the Parka could give the impression that there isn't such a bend..

Rich

Eugeny
07-25-2008, 05:37 PM
Thanx Rich, the sleeves are still unattached, one of them (the left one) will have pocket with zipper, so the topology and amount of polygons will change.

richdj
07-25-2008, 05:40 PM
Yeah, Having seen the updates, I thought I was jumping the gun...

Rich

Faster_
07-26-2008, 01:51 AM
Very nice, 4u4a :-)

Andrew March
07-26-2008, 02:58 AM
Love to have a look at your fog/background settings, they really do convey a feeling of cold, great work.

Eugeny
07-26-2008, 04:07 AM
There is no fog in scene - it's a point light with volumetric light enabled.
See the settings.

To Faster_: thanx and welcome a board :)

Andrew March
07-26-2008, 04:45 AM
Cool, thanks for the screengrab man :)

Eugeny
07-26-2008, 09:58 AM
Update, finished modeling. Pants and boots are next, they will be in low res details (they not be seen in the frame, i don't planing any full shots with main character).

Eugeny
07-26-2008, 04:16 PM
Who ho, finished it :D
Now it's time for displacements and textures.

down_in_black
07-26-2008, 05:26 PM
Looking good Eugeny! :thumbsup:

Cougar12dk
07-27-2008, 03:00 AM
Damn that's good Eugeny :D

Eugeny
07-27-2008, 05:37 PM
Some raw textures ... Still in progress, will be finished tomorrow.

Cougar12dk
07-27-2008, 06:43 PM
Still looks nice even though it's still in progress :)

Eugeny
07-28-2008, 08:04 AM
The parka is ready. Gloves and pants to go ...

sandman300
07-28-2008, 10:40 AM
Looks awesome.

richdj
07-28-2008, 11:12 AM
Very cool update..

Rich

thekho
07-28-2008, 03:03 PM
Looks so great! Can't wait to see that's the final!

Keep up the great work :)

Eugeny
07-28-2008, 04:22 PM
Thanx guys, here is finished textures, meanwhile only GL , I'm working on shaders right now.

Matt
07-28-2008, 05:07 PM
Wow, awesome update! That's an insane amount of detail for something that's only going to be seen from far away!

Looking forward to seeing this finished!

Eugeny
07-28-2008, 05:25 PM
He will standing in front of camera (over the shoulder) and lit the place with beam of light, also will be some cut from different angle (from inside the window) to him ,so he mast have some details. (I'm rendering some frames with him in scene).May be I'm bit exaggerated with details ... But i so enjoined from this :D Hope to finish it in time. Damn, i have another project to do, the deadline is in 30/08 but it's not final so i can play with this scene.

Eugeny
07-28-2008, 06:26 PM
Render

Glendalough
07-28-2008, 06:29 PM
Good scene -clouds/mist, looking pretty real!

Thomas M.
07-29-2008, 01:30 AM
The way he stands there isn't appropriate. You take away all the space, the cold, the snow. Neither is your actor isolated in the depth of the room. He's the biggest element and has everything under control. The horror and mood are gone. If you want nature or the night be a threat to him than you need to re-balance the image. Also the cloth doesn't hold up at this distance.

I'd rather see this guy standing on your structure built in the background, while we are approaching him from behind. Blair witch project camera shaking please. As we are just behind him, he turns because of the wind and we see his skeleton face like in Psycho. Now, isn't that coooool! (Yes, it's totally cliché)

Cheers
Thomas

P.S.: Please don't take away the great realism of this scene by doing some half-a**ed character animation. I doubt that you'll be able to do it very realisticly in LW. So it might be better to have camera movement and animated wind effects, flag, etc. to bring life into the scene, than breaking the illusion the very moment the guy starts to move.

Keep up the good work. Definitely one of the top three wip's in this thread.

Eugeny
07-29-2008, 04:00 AM
Hi Tomas, thanx for the good words and constructive criticism , the frame with standing character is one of the shots (and actually i made it just to see how the lights will react on him) , will be establish shot with all goodies are previewed on previous renders, also the POV shots there we didn't see the character. I don't have mach time so guy will be animated with mocap (just the walking to standing to wondering movements). And yes i will use camera shaking/breathing/focus - i'm really like that kind of camera motion.
If i will realize that i don't have a time to complete with CA i'll skip it and make just a realistic scene with some camera motion. The time is running up and i need at last 30 hours to render (damn Newtek , why they need it in HD ?) but this before optimization.

Eugeny
07-30-2008, 03:21 AM
Just a random frame from animation ... Heavy render, hope to finish it in time.

Thomas M.
07-30-2008, 04:04 AM
A bit to unfiform. Go for tungsten lighting to seperate both lights (ambient/torch). Also the torch right now doesn't make too much sense as the overall brightness is pretty o.k. to see without additional lights. But probably a warmer color will just be fine.

Eugeny
07-30-2008, 04:19 AM
I tried more warm and didn't liked... Also i'm working with non calibrated LCD monitor which probably darker then youth (it's a huge problem) . Rendering the test in half res with low AA to see how it's going, the biggest concern right now is to MB or not MB, since i made lot's of zooming and camera shaking like in Blair witch project, also the picture is bit grainy (honestly i like this amount of grain - low FG plus dither intensity, but bit noisy in motion will see after test render) There is 3 shots in the scene The character seen from OTS and from different view form one of the windows. Worked whole night with mocap for him. Tired to death, i'll be back in 8 hours with test renders. Thanx for your suggestions.

toby_tools
07-31-2008, 11:00 AM
wow, what a great project. Excellent work.

Toby

Eugeny
07-31-2008, 11:37 AM
Thanx Toby. Right now I'm uploading it to Newtek , i have almost 30 min until it going to be closed. Sacrificed one scene (third, it's still in render) so only two scenes are ready ... As usual i don't have enough time :(

Eugeny
08-01-2008, 04:59 AM
Here is my entry to the contest http://rapidshare.com/files/134035551/Frozen_02_05_HD.mov

As well as other entries http://rapidshare.com/files/134035551/Frozen_02_05_HD.mov http://rapidshare.com/files/134039482/Other_01.mov

We-Co
08-12-2008, 10:42 AM
How did you do that?

Eugeny
08-12-2008, 12:22 PM
What exactly ?

Julez4001
08-15-2008, 03:19 PM
Fantastic look.
Can post more information on your snow and the sigma setting and how long it took to render..overall.

How did you get the reference image of the jacket to stay up like that?

We-Co
08-15-2008, 05:00 PM
What exactly ?

Everything.

Mike_RB
08-15-2008, 11:28 PM
Very nice. Caught this at the booth and just downloaded it again to have a better look. Nicely polished work. I would have loved another beat or two between thinking we're going to see some activity in the window and the lights in the sky appearing. Very good.

Julez4001
08-16-2008, 01:12 AM
I agree. It needs somethng (another beat) between the inside shot and the big ship wide camera scene. You need to complete it, personally. Don't let it stay this way.

Surrealist.
08-16-2008, 04:56 AM
Yeah I liked this one too. Very cool.

I was thinking some kind of hint about the lights origin would have been cool. You cut to what you think is a POV from inside the building and then there is no real connection to anything. After watching it a few times I finally got the idea you were trying to say that the lights were in the building. Is that correct?

If not, I guess I missed it.

But I was thinking that a little hint of the lights in the building or something in the POV that might make the connection. Because the lights just seem to appear.

I mean it is cool still. But as far as conveying a meaning in the sequence, it seems to miss something there that would answer it for me.

Cheers on a great entry though. Much enjoyed!

Edit: To be clear, I mean I suppose the aliens or whatever they were are supposed to be are in the building - or something is. Then the lights just appear. Would be cool if the lights came out of the building or something came out of the building even a small sparkle that then became the lights would answer it for me.

Eugeny
08-17-2008, 06:18 AM
Thanx for the replies guys. I glad u liked it.
Yes the additional set of cuts outside/inside/POV and even long shot from different view mast have here. I simply don't had a time to do that and don't had a time to render it. All was done in one month while i was running another (commercial) project with dead line to the same day as this contest.

Surrealist - yes u get it right, the light was always behind the building. The whole idea of these lights was taken from X-Files - not the aliens or UFO (albeit it's too X-Files feel and even i get some reply on the other forum: "Mulder on half way to boat"), but the strong BG volume light in night shots (actually this kind of lights used almost in every Hollywood film). Just night and some strong beam from behind of something. It's working great but if u think for the second:"heck there is come from? And why the hell main hero have hand light if it's enough light from that source ?" From thees questions come the idea of the lights in final shot of my contest. Unfortunately 15 seconds was too short to make it "understandably", but i tried.
I don't really wanted to make the light source origin be visible - first am all time factor - the third scene was made 10 hours before dead line. And i don't had a time to render it in time (actually i uploaded only two first shots first time just to deliver it in time, and then, then the dead line was expanded to additional 25 hours, i added what i had at that time and uploaded once again, and then, then it's was finished i uploaded it's one more time). Second - the mystery factor, i just left them to be lights and rest u (as the viewer) can imagine.

We-Co - well, the answer is too long in time and too short in words :experience, i live from this, 3D animation is my daily job that's it.

MIke_RB - thanx, don't know if u remember me from CGTalk, but i glad that u was involved in Iron Man and make the presentation on Sigg. U deserve it !

Julez4001 I posted some screen grab in the beginning of this thread. It's Sigma2 (come with 9.5). The whole project was made with 9.5 betas. Rendering at HD was from 5 to 12 minutes overall on Quad Core Q6600 overclocked to 3Gz (i have two similar machines), but i mast to admit that i used pretty low AA settings (AA2 with 0.06 for adaptive samples and 0.15 for the oversampling) as well as low FG samples (no interpolation) - that's why it's so nosy and some times some white small spots appear on the snow (albeit them looks sometimes OK but actually they are render errors :))

The parka reference was find with Google image search and downloaded from Wiki (they have the biggest picture).
I'm also planned to make some fur around the hood and even build some strands with FiberFX modeler but reconsidered it ones again and decided to not render the fur , not with FiberFX and not with Sas, render time was major factor.

Surrealist.
08-17-2008, 06:28 AM
Yeah my first thought was, they were behind the building but I was not sold on that so much as it was a fog light. But I know what you mean about mystery. In any case well done. Would have liked to see what you could have had time to do.

Thanks for considering my thoughts. :)

Julez4001
08-17-2008, 08:41 PM
Eugeny
Did you overclocked your machine or had it done for you.

Was it a really major improvement?

AbnRanger
08-17-2008, 09:02 PM
that's why it's so nosy and some times some white small spots appear on the snow (albeit them looks sometimes OK but actually they are render errors :))Actually, I thougt those artifacts made it look even more authentic, because they are a naturally occuring phenomenon.
I was going to ask how you managed to do that (I would've had to do it in a compositor). Maybe they weren't artifacts after at all. Assuming the snow surface materials had even a small degree of reflectivity, it might have actually been an accurate result. Also, if the snow material has some subtle glitter (like you find in some car paint materials) added, I guess you could get a similar result.

That was one reason why I was pretty upset in the other thread...this level of professionalism rejected in favor of...well, I'm not going to keep beating a dead horse.

Eugeny
08-18-2008, 01:26 AM
Julez4001 I overclocked them by my self, it's pretty simple, just rise the clock host in the bios settings and live the rest to automatic ( i have Gigabyte DSP4 and Asus WiFi mother boards) and disable any power saving settings. Unfortunately i have stepping B processors - they can't be overclocked more then 3.1 Ghz and be stable ( actualy i managed to get 3375 Mz but them half time was freezing and half time didn't won't to boot). The F stepping can run up to 3.6 Ghz, so if u going to bay one ask about stepping. Of course u need some good cooling system - with box fan which come with processor - even don't try ! I have Termalright Ultra-120 eXtreme - the best of the best for today and Cooler Master Hyper TX2 which is bit weaker but really cheep. First machine build for me, second - i build by my self and overclocked them by myself too. I get additional 600 Mhz which is 25% from weir factory speed - and i get exactly 25 % of speed increase in render times !

AbnRanger thank you for your support, and yes Signa 2 which was used to snow, have some small degree of reflection on it , so may be it's accurate result.

Mike_RB
08-18-2008, 07:29 AM
Didn't you have some kind of zombie looking avatar for a long time over at cgtalk?

Eugeny
08-18-2008, 07:53 AM
Yea it's me :) I still have it at CGTalk.

Mike_RB
08-18-2008, 07:54 AM
I'd say the new one is an improvement.

Eugeny
08-18-2008, 08:09 AM
Yea but still ugly :)
So, how it was at Sigg ? Any chance to see your presentation elsewhere ?

Mike_RB
08-18-2008, 10:15 AM
Yea but still ugly :)
So, how it was at Sigg ? Any chance to see your presentation elsewhere ?

It was just a quick interview format Q+A about our use of LW. Newtek had some camera's pointed at us so I imagine they will edit that stuff down eventually.

Eugeny
08-18-2008, 02:59 PM
Only a quick interview ? Instead of make from this buzz they make quick interview? NewTek conspiracy as usual.
Well, hope to it some time.

Mike_RB
08-18-2008, 03:08 PM
Only a quick interview ? Instead of make from this buzz they make quick interview? NewTek conspiracy as usual.
Well, hope to it some time.

About 10 minutes, twice a day while the show was running. They managed to get a decent crowd each time. Unfortunately they didn't have permission more media other than some stills...

Eugeny
08-26-2008, 12:52 AM
Played a bit with FiberFX - not bad at all ... The only disappointing thing is that fact that FFX can't be used with regular DOF and photoreal motion blur. This one was rendered with 5 motion blur passes, and it's was quite slow (around 20 min)

AbnRanger
08-26-2008, 02:09 AM
Played a bit with FiberFX - not bad at all ... The only disappointing thing is that fact that FFX can't be used with regular DOF and photoreal motion blur. This one was rendered with 5 motion blur passes, and it's was quite slow (around 20 min)Have you tried rendering out to RPF or EXR and using the DOF and 3D Motion Blur post effects in something like Combustion, AE or Fusion, yet? As dark as that scene is, I would try that first. Should save you massive amount of time.

The Dommo
08-26-2008, 04:33 AM
hey i like that furry hood!

littlewaves
08-26-2008, 04:59 AM
Played a bit with FiberFX - not bad at all ... The only disappointing thing is that fact that FFX can't be used with regular DOF and photoreal motion blur. This one was rendered with 5 motion blur passes, and it's was quite slow (around 20 min)

you could try changing your fiber fx settings to volume only (although you'd also need to start more or less from scratch on the other settings to achieve the same effect) but this should give you correct DOF effects without having to crank up the motion blur.

Of course it will almost certainly crash using volume only and you'll hate me for even suggesting it but in theory that's how it should work.

Eugeny
08-26-2008, 11:23 AM
Thanx for suggestions guys, the RPF with DOF definitely do the trick albeit I'm not really like the result - it's looks like glow (but perhaps it's my fault, i'm not composting guy, used AE to get DOF, and i dont have any idea how to achieve 3D MB in AE).

The Volume only looks exactly that i'm looking for (in terms of DOF) but rendering time was 56 min! May be i need to change some settings, just switched it ON. Also i get some strange artifacts (lines) on fur. So meanwhile the solution is post DOF, and it's pain in the *** cause i have huge volume light in scene. Ah, and b.t.w. LW was stable during the volume render, no crashes.

AbnRanger
08-26-2008, 02:00 PM
Thanx for suggestions guys, the RPF with DOF definitely do the trick albeit I'm not really like the result - it's looks like glow (but perhaps it's my fault, i'm not composting guy, used AE to get DOF, and i dont have any idea how to achieve 3D MB in AE).

The Volume only looks exactly that i'm looking for (in terms of DOF) but rendering time was 56 min! May be i need to change some settings, just switched it ON. Also i get some strange artifacts (lines) on fur. So meanwhile the solution is post DOF, and it's pain in the *** cause i have huge volume light in scene. Ah, and b.t.w. LW was stable during the volume render, no crashes.Yeah, you'll have to tweak your DOF in post to get a satisfactory result. You could create a mask around the fur, so that the DOF is only applied to everything outside of it.
I use Combustion, which has 3D Motion blur, it's an intelligent method and uses the Velocity channel in your RPF file to apply the motion blur (based on the normals displayed in the velocity channel).
For After Effects, it has a built in motion blur that is more of a simple frame blend...but you can get inexpensive plugins for the real 3D motion blur
http://www.rpfmb.com/
http://www.revisionfx.com/products/rsmb/

here's a few semi-helpful tutorials:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jDWnUDwrH4&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfraw0HeKF0