PDA

View Full Version : 2 camera problems

trentonia
06-17-2008, 01:53 PM
I have a sphere that is 4 km across. I made a motion path that is a circle slightly larger than the sphere to run the camera. I set the camera to align to path and noticed that the camera flips over when the motion graph crosses the 0 m line (kind of like gimbal lock). So, I thought I would parent the camera to a null, but when I do that the camera icon disappears. If I try move or rotate the camera I can't see the move arrows or rotate rings. I'm using LW 9.3.1 64 bit. Anyone else experienced these two problems? Any ideas?

CC Rider
06-17-2008, 02:34 PM
I would think the null would give you the best results.
I usually use two nulls. One to parent the camera to and another to use as a "Camera Target". I get nice smooth camera moves with this rig and its very simple. Just target the null and animate to let the camera see whatever you want.

As for the disappearing act, the only thing that I can think of would be to make sure you have "Parent in place" active. Sounds like the camera is snapping to the inside of the sphere (the origin) when you parent it

I have had objects change location when I parent them in the past. Usually if I close LW and reopen the project it fixes whatever was the problem...

Hope this helps
:D

Andyjaggy
06-17-2008, 02:57 PM
I would think the null would give you the best results.
I usually use two nulls. One to parent the camera to and another to use as a "Camera Target". I get nice smooth camera moves with this rig and its very simple. Just target the null and animate to let the camera see whatever you want.:D

Hey that's the same way I always animate my camera. :)

CC Rider
06-17-2008, 05:33 PM
Cool!

Without my trusty "camera target" it would take me forever to animate the camera.
Many times I actually will use a 3rd null to control the depth of field if I am doing focus pulls and things like that...really adds to the realism!

:thumbsup:

trentonia
06-18-2008, 09:09 AM
OK, I put a null at the origin and parent the camera to the null. I could still see the camera. When I attach the null to the motion path (2 km away) the camera disappears. When you look at the camera view you can see that it is in the right place, you just can't see the camera icon. It's kind of like the funkiness you get when you use IK too far away from the origin. Also, when the null get 90 degrees around the path, the null flips 180 degrees on its bank (causing the camera to flip) and when it gets to 270 degrees around the sphere it flips again. I wonder if NT knows about this stuff?

trentonia
06-18-2008, 09:24 AM
OK, I did another test. I put a null at the origin and parented the camera to it. I moved the null 5 or 6 km from the origin and could still see the camera. So, it seems there must be a bug when attaching a null to an imported motion path or when using the curve constraint option. I still don't know what causes the flipping.

CC Rider
06-18-2008, 12:43 PM
Do you still need the motion path if you are using the null?
Not sure what your motion path looks like, but it sounded like its a simple circle. You could achieve the same thing by just parenting the camera to the null and rotate the null. If you use a second null to set the camera target, that should keep the camera from flipping.

trentonia
06-19-2008, 11:27 AM
Sounds like an ingenious solution. I'll give it a try. Thanks guys.