PDA

View Full Version : RAM Question

alepooh
06-17-2008, 10:41 AM
HI

I have 5GB in RAm in a Mac Intel 2 Dual Core I think Lightwave is not using all this resources in my computer during render.

Can anyone explain me how to optimize my mac and Lightwave??

BazC
06-18-2008, 01:09 AM
Until a 64bit version of LW comes out it can only use a maximum of 4gigs of Ram anyway, probably less. I'm sure Chilton can be more specific.

Aside from that can you be more specific about why do you think it is not making full use of your resources? Are you getting error messages?

Scazzino
06-18-2008, 10:47 AM
Right, you'll typically get out of memory errors and problems once LW (or any 32bit program) hits about 3.25GB of virtual RAM use on Mac OS X (actual limit seems slightly higher in Leopard)...

Until LW goes 64bit of course... then the sky's the limit... :thumbsup:

alepooh
06-27-2008, 08:56 AM
Because there is a button called Segment Memory Limit (MB) I have it in 2000 I can't make it higher.

I think this is for render isn't? :question:

Thanks!!!

Scazzino
06-28-2008, 09:46 AM
Because there is a button called Segment Memory Limit (MB) I have it in 2000 I can't make it higher.

I think this is for render isn't? :question:

Thanks!!!

That's actually used to limit the render image buffers only... it doesn't affect object or render calculation memory, just the image buffers that it renders into... you typically use it by lowering the number so that it renders in multiple segments (or strips)... that way it can render a larger image while conserving RAM that's used by the render buffers...

It's just a maximum limit for the render buffer, so if your image is already rendering in one segment, raising the segment memory limit will have no real effect.

paul summers
06-30-2008, 04:57 AM
Set it to 128 is the max i think?