PDA

View Full Version : Rendering "Helper" Items

DustinBrown
06-17-2008, 10:14 AM
Usually when I see demo reels for riggers and TDs, they'll do a post production overlay of things like bones, nulls, splines, and other "helper" items to visually convey how they set certain things up. Is there a quick and easy way to render bones and nulls and whatnot in LW?

Thanks,
Dustin

DustinBrown
06-17-2008, 12:12 PM
Something I've tried so far is enabling Other Edges under my null's Object Properties>Edges tab. That didn't bear any fruit. The LW help files have this to say on the matter:

"Null objects appear in the Layout window as six-pointed stars or jacks; however, they never render in an image. [...]"

So that sucks. I looked on Flay to see if any ingenuitive guy or gal might have made a script or plug-in to help me with this. Didn't find anything. So I'm assuming it can't be done.

I'm beginning to think that my only option...and it's a relatively ghetto work-around in my opinion, is to create geometry that looks like my null or bone or whatever, link it to it's non-renderable counterpart, then render the edges of that geometry. I was really hoping I wouldn't have to do that though, cause it sounds like an unnecessary pain in the ***.

- Dustin

Sarford
06-17-2008, 02:05 PM
As a solution, you could hide all your geometry in your viewport so that only the nulls and bones etc stay visible.
Then set your background to something like green and record your scene with a screenrecorder or make incremental screenshots of all the frames.
Take this footage inside your compositor and key it over the original footage.

Captain Obvious
06-17-2008, 02:27 PM
Or use the "Preview" tool.

Weetos
06-17-2008, 02:32 PM
You could model a null from true geometry (any shape you want) then in Layout replace your nulls by this object using the 'Replace with object' command. Never tried this, but I think it should work

DustinBrown
06-17-2008, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

- Dustin