PDA

View Full Version : newbie : about skelegons and bones

hub73
06-16-2008, 11:17 PM
Hi !

1) Is there a way to assign weightmap to skelegon directly inside the modeler ?

2) Into the layout you convert skelegons into bones with the add->cvt skelegons option. Ok. But next how to update a bone, if you modify the appropriate skelegon inside the modeler (for example change the position, lenght)?

3) if 1) is possible, could you update your model weightmap info if you do some modifications inside the layout (assign weightmap inside with the scene editor

Thanks for your help !

prospector
06-17-2008, 12:26 AM
1..In the skelegon tree
2..Get Update Bone from Flay.com
3..Reworking of weights in layout isn't possable as far as I know, other than assigning.

This is where dual monitors come in very handy. With Modeler on 1 and layout on another, you could change weights in modeler Hit the title bar for Layout or hit F12, and see them (on my system,the time is about 2 sec) change in Layout, also it's good for working and /or reworking morphs.

SplineGod
06-17-2008, 08:12 AM
Vertex paint will work in layout with a little help.
Create your bones and place them into your character in layout.
Save this as a scene.
Use DStorms Load Bones plugin. This plugin works in modeler and converts
bones to skelegons. It also works in layout. Once you convert bones to skelegons with it in layout you can now use vertex paint to create or change weight maps in layout as well.

Another option is to simply not use weight maps since LW bones done need them to deform a mesh :)

adamredwoods
06-17-2008, 11:06 AM
2. To update skelegons (modeler to layout), I recommend Mike Green's Update Skelegons from his website:
http://www.mikegreen.name/

hub73
06-18-2008, 05:27 AM
Another option is to simply not use weight maps since LW bones done need them to deform a mesh
is it true ? How to do this ?

SplineGod
06-18-2008, 01:04 PM
Create the bones, select them all and REST them (r key). Thats it.
When using skelegons you just have to convert them to bones and they work.
Its a myth that you MUST use weightmaps with LW. Its better IMO to start with bones and test the deformations. Then either tweak the model to reduce any cross influence bones may have on geometry and use additional hold bones to help control unwanted deformations. After that then I might use weight maps if those things dont work.
Even if I do use weight maps they tend to be very simple like one for the legs and arms and one for the rest of the body. Multiple bones can be assigned to a single weight map.

prospector
06-18-2008, 02:34 PM
Its a myth that you MUST use weightmaps with LW.
C'mon Larry...quit spreading rumors :D:D

And go to your discussion group...I have a question reguarding the 9 hour DVD that I bought.

SplineGod
06-18-2008, 02:50 PM
I hate when I do that :)

stib
06-28-2008, 06:15 AM
If I remember rightly, If you name your skelegons the same as your weight maps when you convert the skelegons it will automatically apply the weight maps to them. Of course that only works if you have one weight map per bone, and that would be totally unnecessary.

Weight maps are useful for fingers and legs, where the bone influence is apt to spread too far. But you can get away without them for most other stuff.

Surrealist.
06-28-2008, 07:15 AM
Hi !

1) Is there a way to assign weightmap to skelegon directly inside the modeler ?

2) Into the layout you convert skelegons into bones with the add->cvt skelegons option. Ok. But next how to update a bone, if you modify the appropriate skelegon inside the modeler (for example change the position, lenght)?

3) if 1) is possible, could you update your model weightmap info if you do some modifications inside the layout (assign weightmap inside with the scene editor

Thanks for your help !

You can do all of that with a simple workflow.

1) Create and name all of your skellegons.

2) Use the Bone Weights tool (Map tab/Weight) to create the weightmaps. Make sure and set it clip. This will create a weight map with a value of 0 for each bone name.

3) Edit your weights now or as an ongoing process. Using the set map value and selecting points. polys etc.

4) Convert the bones to skellegons and your weightmaps will apply automatically (as stated in the above post).

If you then want to change the length of a bone don't do it in modeler do it in layout with the bone edit tools.

You can tweak the wieightmaps in modeler and see the results in Layout.

Of just use bone influence and no wieghts of course. But either way takes a lot of tweaking to get things the way you want them.