PDA

View Full Version : Ok, I guess I'll start...(ANI. GIF)

hrgiger
06-16-2008, 10:37 PM
I don't want to show everything or reveal the whole idea of my short but I thought I'd show a few things that will be going into my contest entry.

First, here's a character that will be the focal point. This is the first pass of a run I'm working on(so not really any upper body/arm motion yet). The gif is playing probably about half the speed that the actual animation is. I tried to get the file size down as much as possible so it would load and play quick. Weights have only been painted from about thigh down so you'll see some bad deformation going on in the hips.

I'm going to try and post a few more things in the next few days.

jin choung
06-16-2008, 11:44 PM
cool. nice character. did you model her?

really dig your spare skeleton too. i've never seen a rig with it quite so spare around the hips but i can't see why it couldn't work.

very nice.

and a very nice start to your anim too.

jin

3DGFXStudios
06-17-2008, 05:21 AM
Look ok, but why do you use a normal proportioned human being. You can film humans, thats a lot easier. Why not make a cartoony one? I never get the point why people want to make photo realistic humans. Can someone explain that to me? ( don't know anything about the contest) Good luck!!

rakker16mm
06-17-2008, 05:27 AM
Look ok, but why do you use a normal proportioned human being. You can film humans, thats a lot easier. Why not make a cartoony one? I never get the point why people want to make photo realistic humans. Can someone explain that to me? ( don't know anything about the contest) Good luck!!

Maybe they recently had to deal with Tom Cruise or something :D

Oedo 808
06-17-2008, 06:20 AM

I think the best answer to that for me is to say it's like asking why you'd have comic books or computer games with normally proportioned human beings. I think it's a good approach here and it looks like a good start, it would only take me about two months work to get that far.

Good luck from an unbiased observer! :thumbsup:

3DGFXStudios
06-17-2008, 06:28 AM
I think the best answer to that for me is to say it's like asking why you'd have comic books or computer games with normally proportioned human beings. I think it's a good approach here and it looks like a good start, it would only take me about two months work to get that far.

Good luck from an unbiased observer! :thumbsup:

How can you use real humans in games or comics?.....filming them is not an option, in these cases 3d is! It's not only about the proportions. I ment, if you make a character in 3D you can easily make it something special. It was just a question... and I likes what I saw. cheers

jackman
06-17-2008, 09:31 AM
looking good there! good luck :)

SP00
06-17-2008, 09:55 AM
We need proper humans in 3D so that we can do this:

http://www.andrewferguson.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/matrix-super-punch.jpg

meatycheesyboy
06-17-2008, 11:01 AM

I think the simplest answer is that it isn't his medium of choice. The artist may not be familiar with a camera in which case it certainly is not lot easier as you say.

GregMalick
06-17-2008, 11:26 AM
We need proper humans in 3D so that we can do this:

So what is that from? I'd like to see the animation.

Cageman
06-17-2008, 11:48 AM
So what is that from? I'd like to see the animation.

Matrix - Revolutions.... the battle between Neo and Smith. That shot is, as far as I know, 100% CG (the characters that is). And it's "filmed" in slowmotion... probably among the best CG-humans in closeup to date?

HR: Good start!

jin choung
06-17-2008, 11:58 AM
right, best use of realistic humans is for vfx. virtual stuntment, crowd generation, etc. imo, i think beowulf and ffsw are masturbatory exercises too....

but this is for a little newtek contest so i don't see any point talking about the aesthetics of media.... if there are enough competent entries, it might play a part in the judging but heck, everybody do what you want.

jin

hrgiger
06-17-2008, 12:49 PM

Why not ask why we paint humans when we can just take their picture? Why we sculpt humans when we could have just drawn or painted them. 3D is simply another artists medium. I like the challenge that comes with modeling at least somewhat realistic proportions. It's harder to make it believable because we are all too familiar with how us humans look and move. And I just like what I like, dig?

Jin, yeah I modeled her. As far as the rig, it's (excuse the expression) bare bones. Since the animation should be no longer then 15 seconds, I can't see a lot of complex expressions and rigging being that fruitful when I can just fudge it with some artful FK. The legs are the only part of the rig with Ik. It's all about efficiency here. And of course what I can' fudge with artful FK will be obscured by some strategically placed shadows.:)

parm
06-17-2008, 01:17 PM
Looks really good so far.

I hope you'll give us some pointers, on how you do it as you go along. :)

3DGFXStudios
06-18-2008, 04:25 AM
Why not ask why we paint humans when we can just take their picture? Why we sculpt humans when we could have just drawn or painted them. 3D is simply another artists medium. I like the challenge that comes with modeling at least somewhat realistic proportions. It's harder to make it believable because we are all too familiar with how us humans look and move. And I just like what I like, dig?

Jin, yeah I modeled her. As far as the rig, it's (excuse the expression) bare bones. Since the animation should be no longer then 15 seconds, I can't see a lot of complex expressions and rigging being that fruitful when I can just fudge it with some artful FK. The legs are the only part of the rig with Ik. It's all about efficiency here. And of course what I can' fudge with artful FK will be obscured by some strategically placed shadows.:)

Thanks for the explanation! I hope I didn't offend you. It was just a general question. ( I don't agree about the painting thing but I do know what you mean) Good luck!

hrgiger
06-18-2008, 02:17 PM
I modeled her a gun last night. Remarkably, the second gun only took about 2 seconds to create.

Edit: Yes, I know the gun has no clip in it.

JeffrySG
06-18-2008, 02:51 PM
Lookin' good! I'm sure this will be very cool! :)

Eugeny
06-18-2008, 05:08 PM
Keep it up, looking good :thumbsup:

hrgiger
06-19-2008, 01:40 PM
Experimenting with the environment.

Eugeny
06-19-2008, 01:47 PM
Now you talking :) Nice one :thumbsup:

codyburke610
06-19-2008, 03:31 PM
Excellent work hrgiger! This is going to turn out great!
-Cody-

richdj
06-20-2008, 04:54 AM
Coming along really nice, looking forward to seeing this complete....

Rich

Tippsy
06-22-2008, 08:16 PM
Wow that environment is amazing!! What did you use for textures and stuff like that cause that looks darn realistic! And great character work, looks kinda like Angelina Jolie from the face.

Cageman
06-23-2008, 01:11 AM
Nice progress here!

I too am very found of where you are going with the enivronment. :thumbsup:

Subdivmaniac
06-24-2008, 07:55 PM
Cool environment! :)
Keep it up!

hrgiger
06-26-2008, 05:12 PM
I'm trying to finish up the character. Here's some steampunk kind of goggles for her. Next up are hair and textures.

hrgiger
06-27-2008, 09:35 PM
Here's the initial skin. I'm not the greatest texture painter but I think it will be passable. Not sure there will be too many close up shots anyway. Will probably work on the hair next and maybe if I have time work a little more on the skin.

hrgiger
06-27-2008, 09:36 PM
Here's another one with a different angle and lit a little more. The area lights are causing a bit of an artifact along the nose.

Oedo 808
06-28-2008, 06:22 AM
It's looking great, I can't wait to see her animated, in fact I can't wait to see the whole thing!

I'm no expert, but I've seen models that were worked on for much longer but never looked as good.

Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

Pheidian
07-01-2008, 04:53 AM
Hey this is interesting! The running animation reminds me of Matrix ALOT :) And now the textured woman face looks a little like bold Angelina Jolie (mostly because of the BIG lips...), this is awesome stuff!

meshpig
07-02-2008, 05:02 AM
So, the end date is July 31? Doomed, I hate contests anyway...

Looking good!!

m:)

jasonwestmas
07-02-2008, 08:23 AM

Photoreal or not. . .Actually the model does have a "style" to it, which is in fact artistic expression. A cell shaded character has a different style, both have stylistic approach therefore. Both styles are reasons to create. :)

hrgiger
07-04-2008, 10:42 PM
Working on some firing sequences. Painted a muzzle flash sequence in photoshop. It's applied to a couple of flat polygons which are spinning in front of the gun and smoothed out with some motion blur. It's a little technique I picked up off someone on the old forums.

CMT
07-05-2008, 08:40 AM
Love that effect! The run animation is looking smooth too!

Castius
07-05-2008, 09:09 AM
hrgiger it's coming allow pretty nice. Keep up the good work.

Here is a simple trick for better joint deformation. Constrain a joint that rotates 50% of the child rotation. So for example the shoulder. You clone your bicep bone. Then constrain that clone to your first bicep. but only take 50% of the rotation.

What this does is create better volume in the joint when you weight to it. This is what joint compensation is doing in the bone property window. But this allows you to use any angle and control what points it effects.

Oedo 808
07-05-2008, 06:47 PM
Cool technique, I'll have to remember that one. Though my Photoshop skills aren't up to much even for a muzzle flash. Looks like it will be an interesting anim.

hrgiger
07-05-2008, 09:06 PM
The muzzle flash was pretty easy to paint in Photoshop. I basically started by painting the alpha to cut away the rest of the polygon. It's a basic flame shape that I enhanced by making the edges sharp in places with the smudge tool. Then I added a few more layers putting some colors around the edges, then blurring them with a gaussian blur and then blending all the layers together.

hrgiger
07-05-2008, 09:33 PM
Here's the first test with the muzzle flash animated. Morphmixer is being used to move the slide on the gun. I have a point light that is causing the illumination flashes and there are a few issues with that. It's too bright, not to mention the wrong color, oops. Quicktime with mpeg4 compressor.

Castius
07-06-2008, 09:39 AM
That looks great.

3dwannabes
07-06-2008, 12:43 PM
Looks good except for the spinning motion and the gun texture

colkai
07-06-2008, 01:10 PM
That spinning texture should spin 180 deg in 1 frame so it spins 90 deg in 50% moblur to give the effect of a "full" flash.

3dwannabes
07-06-2008, 01:17 PM
That spinning texture should spin 180 deg in 1 frame so it spins 90 deg in 50% moblur to give the effect of a "full" flash.

I think a full rotation would look better... While we are on the subject, It would be nice to have different motion blur amounts for each object in LW.

Mitja
08-18-2008, 01:06 PM
Any chance to see this animation finished?

hrgiger
08-18-2008, 01:38 PM
Probably not at this point. I wasn't able to complete my project in time and my license was being sold at the time to another user so I don't currently have LW installed on my machine.

Eugeny
08-18-2008, 02:23 PM
So u serious with that move to XSI despite their price rising ?

hrgiger
08-18-2008, 04:21 PM
Yup. My girlfriend and I are now using XSI Advanced.

The Dommo
08-18-2008, 05:24 PM
how are you finding it? I've not touched XSI since v. 1.5 ....

Surrealist.
08-18-2008, 07:08 PM
So you managed to get the education version through your GF after all? Smooth move. You just missed that whole Foundation crumbling. When I heard about that I thought....ooops you are screwed now because you held on to LW for the contest then I forgot you were also considering the Ed version of Advanced. Is that what happened?

In any case, good luck with it and look forward to you posting some samples.

hrgiger
08-18-2008, 07:39 PM
how are you finding it? I've not touched XSI since v. 1.5 ....

Well, I can't say for sure how it compares to XSI 1.5 but I imagine it's a completely different beast since you used it. I will tell you that I am very impressed with the program both in terms of flexibility and it's intuitive workflow.

So you managed to get the education version through your GF after all? Smooth move. You just missed that whole Foundation crumbling. When I heard about that I thought....ooops you are screwed now because you held on to LW for the contest then I forgot you were also considering the Ed version of Advanced. Is that what happened?

In any case, good luck with it and look forward to you posting some samples.

Yeah, I was actually going to buy Essentials outright so I really wasn't even looking at Foundation but I liked the terms of the educational license. There's really no drawback. I bought the one year license so I was able to upgrade to version 7 when it was released and will be eligible for any other updates in that timeframe. My girlfriend teaches both traditional and digital art at a local high school, it was an easy sell to have her get an XSI license, especially since I was paying for it.
Thanks, I've been going through a lot of the training material they have for XSI free on the web. They also included free a whole digital Tutors training DVD along with version 7 which covers, games, film, broadcast, and VFX. I'm starting my own personal project right now so I'm excited about it. My big goal though right now is just to get comfortable working in XSI. I'm so used to the Lightwave way of things, it's a challenge.
I still own a license of Lighwave 8 and am keeping my eye on future LW development.

Surrealist.
08-18-2008, 08:39 PM
Cool. Sounds challenging and fun. Thanks for the update. :)

jasonwestmas
08-19-2008, 09:47 AM
I've been using XSI Foundation on and off for the past 7 months just trying to learn it in my free time. It's really nice. To be honest the main reason I'm using xsi for my personal stuff is because of the faster weight/skinning and the ability to animate at a vertex level when doing deformations with bones. If that was better in lightwave I wouldn't need another app as much. Vertex animation control is really necessary esp when dealing with geometry that overlaps somewhat. I get geometry pass-throughs otherwise. I'm kind of dreading using LW's cloth for simulations, I'll see what XSI can do for me in that area as well. . .though I think I would need XSI essentials for that.

With that said I think LW 9.5 will give me what I need rendering wise, powerful new stuff in there!

hrgiger
08-19-2008, 01:46 PM
Oh yeah, absolutely. Lightwave's renderer has come a LONG way during the 9.x cycle. Unfortunatley, it was part of the reason I went to XSI is because I felt like it received an undue amount of attention while other parts (esepecially modeler and some CA issues) went under-addressed. I'm hoping that changes in LW 10. Your reasons for trying XSI foundation are some of my reasons for the change as well. I know that Jay and the team have experimented with vertex animation in Layout but have not implemented anything yet. The nice thing about XSI is that if you can perform an operation in XSI, chances are, it's pretty much animatable including all modeling operations. Anything you build with a curve in XSI can be deformed/animated using that same curve. And yes, the weight painting is pretty sweet and very interactive.