PDA

View Full Version : White Light makes Purple Glass green?

Johnny
06-16-2008, 07:07 PM
I have a glass object (pyramid shaped) colored purple. I have 1 light shining thru it, which, upon Rendering, makes the glass pyramid appear to be Green!

not even so much as a *hint* of purple!

This happens when the light is above or behind the glass object, not in front of.

Any clue why this happens?

thank you!

J

iconoclasty
06-17-2008, 11:25 AM
Do you have a colored backdrop or something that it's reflecting?

Johnny
06-17-2008, 11:40 AM
Do you have a colored backdrop or something that it's reflecting?

No. only the pyramid has a color. the "floor" and walls are shades of gray. they do reflect, however, but impart no color.

I checked my thin film color to see if that might have been green, but it was set to the same purple as this glass is colored.

And the lights in the scene do emit white light.

I don't know if it's a clue that green is the complement of purple, but I can't think of *what* the thing is which is causing a complementary color to be produced. But this theory, if it IS a theory, would say that something in the scene is inverting the purple. I don't have anything set to do that, AFAIK.

thanks!

J

JamesCurtis
06-18-2008, 03:57 PM
Thin film is based on glancing angle I believe. If the angle changes, so does the color of the thin film. Maybe this is what's happening to your object.

Johnny
06-18-2008, 04:36 PM
well, that's a worthy theory, which I tested out just now by simply removing the thin film and hitting F9.

The change occured in the color of the caustic cast onto the "floor" surface, yet the glass still appears to be green..

dang!

I appreciate your post.

J

BigHache
06-18-2008, 09:46 PM
Have you tried changing the purple to green or to other colors to see if a color shift still occurs?

Johnny
06-18-2008, 10:22 PM
yes, I have...no change resulted in the color of the glass itself.

J