PDA

View Full Version : LW8 Soft Body Collisions and Gravity

Belzediel
06-15-2008, 11:00 AM
I've been trying to work with a modeled bed and duvet, and I have been pulling my hair out trying to get the duvet to drop onto the bed and settle naturally (so I could, for example, place an object on the mattress and recalculate) and for the life of me I can't seem to work out how to get the dashed thing going.

I've been working through the seemingly apposite tutorial for soft bodies in "Inside LightWave [8]" to no avail.
I've tried many combinations, including making the bed a hard dynamic, the duvet a soft dynamic, giving either or both gravity dynamics, adding a seperate gravity dynamic, collision detections in a bazillion combinations.
So far the only way I've been able to get the duvet to 'talk' to gravity is to make it a hard body and use the built in gravity mode. This seems to be absent for the soft body dynamics though.

I'm figuring I may end up having to rig the duvet to get it to deform right, which would no doubt be tedious, but I just can't seem to get the initial drop to work.

I can't shake the feeling I'm missing something deeply basic.

Any helpful tips or advice extremely gratefully received.

Giacomo99
06-15-2008, 01:19 PM
There's a million possible reasons it's not working for you. You might want to post a sample scene so the commenters here can have a look at it.

Dodgy
06-15-2008, 03:35 PM
The easiest way to do this is to add clothfx to the duvet, collisionfx to the bed. In the ClothFX panel, choose cotton (thick) in the presets in the etc tab, and change the gravity to -9.8. Make sure Collision>Collision Detect is set to all for the Clothfx, and then you just need to fiddle with the settings depending on your scene size.

If you're using SoftFX, that's more for things which are trying to retain their shape against gravity, such as fat wobbles and other things of that nature. It can use gravity, but won't be completely free falling.

Nangleator
06-16-2008, 10:56 AM
You may also want to create a simplified proxy object of your duvet to simplify the calculations. When you have the motion right, parent the full res duvet to the proxy and apply FX_MetaLink.