PDA

View Full Version : Laptop question..re; video cards

CaptCarty
06-14-2008, 06:43 AM
I am looking to buy a new laptop. My choice is to go with the new HP, but Im not sure about which video option will work best for LW. specs are:

AMD 64 2/x TL66
vista home service pack 1 (32bit)
3gig mem
250g HD
video ( choice are: Nvidea 7150m with up to 1075 shared mem/
or the nvidea 8600 with 512 dedicated mem, and up to 1075 total memory.

-also, if I decide to get the 64 bit version of vista, can i still run my 32bit software and 32bit version of LW ?

Dodgy
06-14-2008, 07:02 AM
Go with the 8600. I'm a bit dubious of the mobile cards, as I have a nvidia 6150 and it's had issues with fprime and other problems. If you're gonna run lw, get the 8600.

cresshead
06-14-2008, 08:31 AM
just don't go for intel video chipsets..they don't work with lightwave.

cresshead
06-14-2008, 08:33 AM
-also, if I decide to get the 64 bit version of vista, can i still run my 32bit software and 32bit version of LW ?

yes..no problem and you should actually install BOTH 32bit and 64bit for full compatability with plugins you may use.

CaptCarty
06-14-2008, 09:57 AM
Go with the 8600. I'm a bit dubious of the mobile cards, as I have a nvidia 6150 and it's had issues with fprime and other problems. If you're gonna run lw, get the 8600.

apparently the 8600m is a mobile also, and I can only get it on a special order build, that takes up to 3mnths to build HP told me today.

On the HP site the specs say the laptop has 1 free PCI expansion slot port3. Would that mean that if i choose to later down the road upgrade the video card, I would be able to? like to the Nvidia 8600 0r even a 8800 gt/gts? ( it doesnt say if its just PCI or PCI express )

CaptCarty
06-14-2008, 10:02 AM
yes..no problem and you should actually install BOTH 32bit and 64bit for full compatability with plugins you may use.

tnx, i currently run a version of 32bit, 7.5d LW, and really only use a few plug-ins. Im waiting to upgrade to see which way NT is going with LW.

pumeco
06-15-2008, 04:15 PM
I've got the nvidia 8600GS M in my laptop and I can confirm that it works well with LightWave :)

CaptCarty
06-16-2008, 02:23 PM
I've got the nvidia 8600GS M in my laptop and I can confirm that it works well with LightWave :)

thanks, thats what I needed to know. By the way, which are u running an Inter or AMD processor?

*I want the AMD, but it looks like I can build a bette build on the Intel for less money.* I can get a 512 on the 8600gs on an intel build, and only 256 on the 8600gs on an AMD build.

AdamAvenali
06-16-2008, 03:00 PM
i have an 8600M GT with 256mb of video memory in my Asus G1S-B2. it handles lightwave very well, but i do get a little bit of lag once i get up to about subdivision level 7 in Zbrush, though i get the same response on my desktop haha.

Andrewstopheles
06-16-2008, 03:54 PM
Laptop vid cards suck because the system builders control the driver releases and once they get the initial driver to a stable release they lock it and never, ever, ever update it again, ever. I am speaking from experience with a Dell Inspiron 9400 with an ATI X1400 256MB.
On the other hand, I can tell you this - despite the fact that the X1400 is the slowest, weakest, crappiest most underpowered vid card ever in the history of bad video cards, it handles Lightwave reasonably well and performs as well as my Quadro 560 does on my Precision workstation.
NVidia has a better history of performing well in Lightwave than ATI does. The 8600 is respectable for a mobile GPU. The 7150 is going to be awful.
Upgrading vid cards in notebook PC's is not suggested, since it's nearly impossible to find one. Your OEM might do upgrades but you'll pay out the *****.
Good luck and enjoy the new system!

pumeco
06-17-2008, 05:16 AM
thanks, thats what I needed to know. By the way, which are u running an Inter or AMD processor?

*I want the AMD, but it looks like I can build a bette build on the Intel for less money.* I can get a 512 on the 8600gs on an intel build, and only 256 on the 8600gs on an AMD build.

Well, it's an Intel Centrino Core 2 Duo 2.40 but it's not all good news.

See this thread to see what fun you can have with your new laptop these days :
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85128

CaptCarty
06-20-2008, 11:09 AM
this is what im replacing atm, my laptops almost 8 yrs old now:

WinBook J1
1ghz
256k mem
64k mem video
windows XP SP3
14" display

*and i can run PS 7, and Lightwave 7.5 with not 1 problem on this :)
(just very slow, lol)

CaptCarty
06-20-2008, 11:15 AM
so I decided to make my order today:

Intel core 2 duo T8100
vista 64bit service pack 1
4 gig mem
Nvidia 8600gs 512k mem
240gig hd 7200RPM (120GIG X 2 )
17" HD Ultrabright display
System Recovery DVD ( 64 bit )

cresshead
06-20-2008, 11:20 AM
i've rencently bought 2 laptops...an acer intel dualcore 2ghz with nvidia 8600 card
and just this week a HP 2130eu laptop convertable for 'me on the move' which i amd dual core 2ghz 2 gig ram and nviai6150 card

see my post here>>

copied and pasted for you

specs on the pc

amd dual core 2ghz
2 gig ram
250gig hd
12.1" screen
touch sensing screen [finger]
pen sensing screen [wacom style pen]
vista o/s [oh well!]
nvidia 6150 graphics [512mb ram]

finger print reader
2 batteries as standard...
standard size 2+hours
large size 4+hours
3 usb ports
dvd read/writer
remote controller fopr dvd player[stores inside expansion slot] [infer red]
svhs out
monitor out [standard 15 pin]
expansion port '3' [no idea!]
modem plus ethernet ports
2 headphone jacks plus mic jack
webcam and stereo mics
decent speakers
wi fi
blue tooth
a really nice track pad too..best one i've used so far.

okay got Zbrush installed on it [7day eveluation for now...to see if i want it on there perm or not]

now...

bottom line is it any good for z brush?
...yes...i like it. there are some things to note though..

the pen...only the hp pen works..my bamboo and blue slate pen do not work so don't think your intuos pen will either...i'm guessing the hp pen has some different way to communicate even though it's a wacom tech screen

tablet mode 100%
when you use zbrush in 100% tablet mode ie you have the screen folded ontop of the keyboard your obviously left with just the pen functions and the zbrush U.I

now here's a weird thing...you'd expect that having your hand 'on the screen' would be not as good as using a off screen tablet as it will constantly obsqure parts of your model by being there but i actually get a great feeling that i'm somehow 'more connected' to my model...it feels more tactile to me as though you actually have a model 'there' under your hands...now that doesn't make me be able to make BETTER models but the feeling does make me want to use and play in zbrush more...so more time should mean better at modeling!...like i said ...weird!

in 100% tablet mode downsides>>[landscape]

so...how do you hide parts of a mesh and reveal them...you can't...or i havn't found the equivalent 'u.i. button' as yet...maybe there's a way to add a button...any ideas?

same with painting a mask...no u.i button to take you into that mode.

the esaure end of the pen sculpts into you model whilst the nib pushes out when using z add...as you'd expect

the button on the pen is pretty crappy...doesn't feel easy to use yet...mind you i've never got on with buttons on any pens really well as yet so that maybe just me..

the screen size is fine...screen res is 1200 x 800 on the 12.1" screen btw.

tablet 50/50% mode... [landscape]

now you can spin the screen round and NOT fold the screen onto the keys..
this saves space..your sreen is tilted at around 30 to 45 degrees...in this mode you can have access to the keyboard though you can't 'see' the keys it's not hard at all to put your other hand resting on the shift and cntrl keys so masking and hiding/revealing polys is simple again...
getting to the alt key is not so easy but with practice you could learn where it was without looking i reckon.

100% laptop mode [landscape]
just like a normal laptop you have access to all the keys on the keyboard and the trackpad plus you can use the screen to draw/sculpt on...this is the lowest learning curve way to get on and if you have room where your sat then it's works really well

say on a train/plane/bus/small car

flipping the screen around
now you can run the screen in 4 ways...
1.landscape with the bottom of the viewport where the hinge is
2..landscape with the bottom of the viewport where the top of the screen is
3.portrait where the hinge is to the right of your screen
4.portrait where the hinge is to the left of your screen

now....in portrait mode [4] zbrush flips the pen so everything is reversed..up is down and left is right...so not working well!....i'd guess you could recallibrate the screen to make it work but then i'd also guess the other 3 modes would then be flipped out....maybe..!

now this is down to zbrush...windows is fine in ANY mode and i just checked with 3dsmax..it works okay in all 4 modes...

maybe a bug fix will solve that from pixologic.

both are really good laptops in specs and build quality