PDA

View Full Version : Can't re-install software

Thalek
06-13-2008, 09:30 AM
I recently did a major overhaul on my computer, putting fans on the hard drives, moving boards into more convenient locations, and so forth. Being a hobbyist, I didn't notice the problem right away, so I don't know if it's directly related to the overhaul or not.

:help:

My VT[5] software does not run and my Windows XP x64 system wants to re-install the hardware. The problem may be in the SDSetup software (whatever that does), as that is the only one that reports an error message during re-installation. It reports that it did a rescan, and then reports "Error e000020b".

I have re-checked the power cable connection, and re-seated the board in the slot. Is the Vt[5] board extremely picky about what PCI slot it is in? It was one of the boards I moved, although I am loathe to move it again unless necessary. It's getting kinda crowded in there.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

billmi
06-18-2008, 10:05 AM
This spring, I found after moving my machine, and re-seating the board, that XP said it could not find drivers for the VT card. I suspect for whatever reason, that after booting once with the board loose and not seeing it, that the board got assigned a new IRQ, and XP didn't get it. I just followed Windows instructions, to install the hardware, and searched the hard drive to find the driver it was looking for. It's been fine since, didn't need to reinstall VT[5].

Thalek
06-19-2008, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the advice; I'm still not sure how closely our situations resembled each other, but it appears to be working again.

I went through many adventures, including nearly having to re-install the OS. (I can break any software, whether it needs breaking or not.)

But after re-seating the board again, and re-seating the power connector on it, (and repairing the damage to the bootup sequence I somehow created) it is now working again.