PDA

View Full Version : Dambuster Documentary - Lightwave used

dmack
06-13-2008, 05:07 AM
Hello Everyone,

Just thought I'd give you all a shout. On Tuesday 17th June from 8-9pm on Channel Five in the UK, there's a documentary on the dambusters. I did all the reconstruction CGI for it - over 8minutes of shots!!!! The lancaster was modelled in Modo but otherwise it's all Lightwave. Hope you enjoy it if you tune in. Let me know what you think.

David

colkai
06-13-2008, 06:03 AM
Cool, try to catch that.
I wonder, do you watch these things when they air, or are you worried you'll spend your time saying things like "oh, I missed that", "wish I'd had more time on that" etc? ;) :D

dmack
06-13-2008, 06:28 AM
Nah, I'll definitely watch it! Sure they'll be a few intakes of air as I see some tings I'm not satisfied with.... :)

colkai
06-13-2008, 07:00 AM
Hehe, are we ever truly satisfied? ;)

denders
06-13-2008, 07:54 AM
Sounds very interesting, wonder if it'll show up over here.

dmack
06-13-2008, 08:33 AM
It'll be released on DVD at some stage and there's an international distributor so I would be very surprised if it doesn't make it over the pond. If I hear anything I'll let you know......

pumeco
06-13-2008, 08:36 AM
I'll watch it for sure, assuming I don't forget about it before hand.
For some reason I always seem to remember stuff just after I've missed it, but I'll try not to.

dmack
06-13-2008, 08:41 AM
I'll let you know when you've missed it. ;)

I know the feeling, therre's been loads of things I've really wanted to watch but then forgotten about!

creativecontrol
06-13-2008, 09:42 AM
It'll be released on DVD at some stage and there's an international distributor so I would be very surprised if it doesn't make it over the pond. If I hear anything I'll let you know......

Yes, please do, I'd love to see it! I'll order a DVD if and when it's available.

kopperdrake
06-13-2008, 06:39 PM
Excellent - I'll tune in :D

dmack
06-14-2008, 11:25 AM
Lightwave performed really really well on the project. Just some slight issues with Volumetric AA and particle line issues but other than that, really really good. SO easy to work with. Llightwave's through-camera navigation system is THE best! I've used Modo and Messiah, both good apps but neither come close for through-camera navigation. The volumetrics also rendered really really quickly so I could put a tonne of fog over the lakes which added to the feel. HD instance played it's part as usual creating a vast forest area around the lakes and as usual it performed faultlessly - just THE best LW plugin IMO. Oh, the new AA system made the popeller blur an absolute joy - couldn't believe how good the results were. Overall very very impressed by LW on this project.

StOuen
06-16-2008, 02:13 PM
just seen the trailers on 5 and it looks great. Booked my space on the sofa for 8!

dmack
06-17-2008, 02:33 AM
just seen the trailers on 5 and it looks great. Booked my space on the sofa for 8!

This is unfair! I've had three people tell me the trailer looks great and I've not seen it once!!!!

Yes, folks, just a reminder, for those of you who are interested it's tonight at 8pm on Five (in the UK).

kopperdrake
06-17-2008, 04:41 AM
Shame it's not on BBC so we could just hand out the iPlayer address for those abroad!

dmack
06-17-2008, 04:44 AM
Yeah that's true! Never thought about that. The iplayer is cool eh!

kopperdrake
06-17-2008, 05:13 AM
Aye - have it on whilst working if it's something I can just listen to, or the radio player :D

Qexit
06-17-2008, 06:24 AM
Shame it's not on BBC so we could just hand out the iPlayer address for those abroad!Just one problem with that, iPlayer is only available to people in the UK. Anyone else just gets the message:

Not available in your area.

This content is only available in the UK

Annoyingly, I'm getting that message at present and have been doing for the last few days even though I AM in the UK :cursin::compbeati

dmack
06-18-2008, 06:49 AM
Anyone see it? Any feedback?

colkai
06-18-2008, 08:04 AM
Not yet, I recorded it last night and was gonna watch it tonight :)

StOuen
06-18-2008, 11:03 AM
I saw it and in my opinion, that was some of the best cg I have seen in a documentary. Jolly well done!

dmack
06-18-2008, 11:48 AM
Cool, Thanks! Really glad you enjoyed it! THe feedback so far has been brilliant and it's opened up some doors apparently....

Qexit
06-18-2008, 12:41 PM
I watched it and was also impressed with the CG work on the bombing runs and Lancasters in flight in general. Did you spend a lot of time watching reruns of the same sequences from the old black and white film version ?

The documentary itself was much better than I'd expected from Channel 5 too, so well worth making the effort to watch :thumbsup:

colkai
06-18-2008, 01:18 PM
Yup, just finished watching it.
Nice work on the bombing runs and the CG was nice overall.
Or should that be, Bally decent work Old Bean what-ho! :p ;)

Documentary was very interesting, I felt sorry for the guy at the end, he really shouldn't have to feel guilt over his actions, it was war after all. Though I understand that in hindsight, knowing the cost, you always wonder if there was another way, even though, deep down, you know it had to be done at the time.

Good programme overall, mind you, the wifes Dad was RAF so there is a certain pride in their work. :)

dmack
06-19-2008, 02:49 AM
I have just been informed that Five has scheduled a repeat on the 21st June (this Saturday) at 6:15pm. So if any of you missed it and eant ot see it, there you go - another chance!

Qexit
06-19-2008, 02:59 AM
I have just been informed that Five has scheduled a repeat on the 21st June (this Saturday) at 6:15pm. So if any of you missed it and eant ot see it, there you go - another chance!Hm, not the best time to run the repeat given that the BBC will be showing Dr Who - the Return of Rose Tyler episode at 6.40pm the same evening :D

dmack
06-19-2008, 03:18 AM
Priorities man! real life heros that saved your freedoms using the software we all love OR some baloney?

Qexit
06-19-2008, 04:17 AM
As a fan of the series for nearly 45 years, my priority this Saturday will be the new episode of Dr Who. However, I'm fairly sure my Father did some of his National Service at RAF Scampton just after the war and would certainly enjoy watching the programme. So I will make sure he knows it is on :thumbsup:

The Dommo
06-19-2008, 11:29 AM
sorry, I missed this. If it gets online, drops us a link :)

Qexit
06-19-2008, 12:06 PM
sorry, I missed this. If it gets online, drops us a link :)As dmack has already mentioned, the programme will be repeated this Saturday at 6.15 pm on Channel 5.