PDA

View Full Version : Concerning file formats

Jimzip
02-23-2003, 02:15 AM
As a lot of you know, movie submissions for tutorial purposes or for demonstrations are often uploaded in DivxAvi format.
I know it's annoying, but Macintosh computers can't read Divx format movies, there are a few players floating around but I have to say that none that I've tried have actually worked.
If it's possible, could people submitting movies put them in any other format than Divx.. It would make us Mac folk happy.

Thanks,
Jimzip:D

Skonk
02-23-2003, 06:23 AM
You dont need a "DivX Player" to play divx on mac, u simply need to goto www.divx.com and download the divx codec for mac, it will then play in quicktime, or the mac version of Microsofts Media Player.

James..

Beamtracer
02-23-2003, 07:27 PM
DIVX still causes havoc on the Mac. Sometimes it can work, sometimes it doesn't. This is because some of the components (like the Validator) can corrupt the file so it no longer plays properly.

MP4 is emerging as the new cross-platform standard, and it has better file sizes than DIVX.

Jimzip
02-23-2003, 08:25 PM
Thanks SpankDaddy,
I did download that a while back, but it didn't work too well.
Maybe it's been updated, I'll check it again.

But generally, the thread is just to try and get people to (if possible) to upload their movies in a different format, it's just the
Divx format that won't work. Everything else is fine.

Thanks though,
Jimzip

Red_Oddity
02-24-2003, 04:56 AM
MP4 is a disaster...
We get MP4 files constantly, and we ALWAYS have to get to the PCs to convert them for the Mac as the Mac still doesn't do MPEG-4 (not even with that hopeless QT 6 update)

It is really annoying when a MPEG-4 standard isn't really a standard (MPEG-4 for the PC doesn't always work with MPEG-4 for QT (Mac))

Better to use Sorensen 3 and QDesign Music (for Audio) as every graphic artist probably has atleast QT 5 installed.

Skonk
02-24-2003, 06:35 AM
I think u'll find that DivX, XViD and several other derivatives are all MPeg4.

James..

EDIT: The problem is that quicktime files tend to be huge so for pc users its a pain in the rear, also if like me your on a crappy connection (64k isdn) then u want files to be as small as posible. Unless its only a couple of seconds long i dont bother downloading quicktime movies. To be truly crossplatform ppl would have to supply both quicktime and avi files to give ppl a choice. As i stated above DivX and all the other variations of it (XViD to name 1) are all based on a hacked version of microsofts MPeg4 format and many of them are opensource, thought each different brand have added there own twist to it. It was originally develped as a means of ripping dvd's to a format that could cope with high res video and mp3 quality sound, it allows u to fit 5 gig's worth a dvd video onto a single 700 meg cd with mp3 quality sound and almost perfect image quality at the same resolution as the dvd it came from.

Beamtracer
02-24-2003, 11:34 PM
There is only one MPEG-4, a standard ratified by the Motion Picture Expert Group. Microsoft has been spreading a tainted version of it, in an attempt to sabotage the MPEG-4 momentum.

This is a common tactic from Microsoft. They previously did it with the Java programming language, spreading a tainted version that didn't work well with other operating systems.

Other companies are fast adopting the true MPEG-4 standard. The Macromedia Flash format will soon accept MP4 files, as will Realplayer. Apple's Quicktime6 player basically IS MPEG-4. Put another way, the Quicktime file format formed the basis of MPEG-4, so to suggest that MPEG-4 files won't play on the Mac is ridiculous. The person who says they couldn't do it must have created the files using MS-MPEG4, which is the tainted version. Why would anyone want to assist MS to attack competitors?

DivX is also not MPEG-4, nor has anything to do with it. DivX is a hack of a Microsoft format which was submitted to the M.P.E.G. and rejected as a standard. Also, Quicktime files made with the alternative Soreneson3 codec have very small file sizes.

When someone says "cross platform" it should not just mean different flavors of Windows. In fact it should mean more than just Windows and Mac also. It should mean Windows, Mac, Java, PDA, cellphone, etc, and any other device that can play a video file. The new generation microprocessors in PDAs and cellphones are capable of playing MPEG-4 video.

Red_Oddity
02-25-2003, 05:41 AM
So, why don't we all make QT files using Apple's MPEG-4?

boxhead
09-13-2004, 08:33 PM
Beamtracer has got it......
The microsofts dont want to play for they will lose a corner of the market....NATIVE Xplatform it aint...
The base level of mp4 was to be for everyone....other levels well??

Roundpixel
09-14-2004, 09:31 AM
Thereīs a new QT mp4 codec that works like a charm in both Mac and PC, and that is the Ensharpen codec. Decoder is free, encoder is cheap and quality is outstanding.
Ensharpen (http://www.code.com.au/elearning/authoring/ensharpen/ensharpen.php)

Itīs new and so many people might not have it yet, but itīs worth trying.

Iīve been receiving videtutorials recently, encoded with ensharpen and those were intended for a mixed mac/pc audience, and quality was great for both platforms.

JC