PDA

View Full Version : MotionMixer messing with me again!!!!!

swingrays
06-11-2008, 08:28 AM
I'm about ready to go to Maya real soon!

Ok here's the scenario:

I create a motion in motion mixer. It looks superb and works great! I save everything and reopen the character. I scrub through the timeline and as soon as it hits the motion in motion mixer, my character goes flat, totally distorted. By the looks of it my main spine bone jumps down the the origin. Other than that it makes no sense to me why this is happening. I've tried everything! Help!!!

swing!!!!

swingrays
06-12-2008, 09:39 AM
Bah. Well, I'm simply going to copy and paste keyframes in the Dope Sheet to make what I need happen. Seems like it might even be easier! I'll jusy copy all the animation from the walk cycle and pop it in after the first loop!

swing

Tom Wood
06-12-2008, 11:49 AM
I use MM a lot, but not with bones, so I'm not able to help. But I do seem to remember this coming up before. Try searching on some combination of MotionMixer, bones, and maybe SplineGod (user name) to see if a thread comes up.

HTH

oobievision
06-12-2008, 12:22 PM
I dont use the motion mixer for bones. usually I create skelegons in modeler and convert them. then use the graph editor.

Scazzino
06-12-2008, 01:26 PM
I've run into a problem where creating a motion that uses both bones and objects fails to save/reload all motion objects when the scene is reloaded... You can tell if this is the problem by looking at the object count for the Motion in Motion Mixer when the scene's reloaded. If the object count of the motion is less than what it was before being saved/reloaded... then it's most likely the same problem...

It's possible that it's an object ID issue with LW 9.0 and beyond...

Here are a few threads where it looks like similar problems are being described...

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80250&highlight=motion+mixer

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76833&highlight=motion+mixer

It also looks like using Morph Mixer with Motion Mixer got broke in the LW9 update too, not sure if that's been fixed yet or not... I'll test that specifically the next time I'm in Motion Mixer...

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67100&highlight=motion+mixer

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66893&highlight=motion+mixer

Scazzino
06-12-2008, 02:09 PM
OK, I did a little more investigation into this LW9+ problem because I needed a workaround myself... ;)

A workaround for the motion items failing to reload seems to be to give everything in the motion unique names. I had a test scene with a motion of 26 items, from an actor of 27 items. Upon saving/reloading the scene and checking the motion, it only reloaded with 14 items (though the actor loads all 27 items). I checked the item names in the scene editor and 12 of them (the missing ones?) were clones of other items, so they had the same names with (1), (2) etc appended by LightWave... I was able to rename 6 of them (bones) with unique names and saved/reloaded the scene again. This time the motion loaded with 20 items. Now only six failed to load into the motion and there were six object clones remaining that I couldn't rename since it won't let us rename object clones... I guess as a complete workaround I'll have to save copies of the cloned items with unique names, then they should save/reload OK in Motion Mixer.

The actor itself has no problem saving/reloading with these items with the same name, it's only the motions that fail to reload... Examining the scene file in a text editor shows all items are indeed saved in the scene file, so the problem appears to be isolated with Motion Mixer reloading motions with duplicate item names...

Hope it helps! :thumbsup:

Cageman
06-12-2008, 02:24 PM
This has happened to us as well. We used a bunch of characters (clones) and only added the bones for each character. Made a huge mess. If we also added the actual objects, no problems on a scene-reload.

Scazzino
06-12-2008, 02:42 PM
Looks like the problem actually goes all the way back to at least LW 8.0.1... I tested LW9.0 LW8.5 and LW8.01 and they all fail to load duplicate items in a motion, but they all load duplicate items in the actors fine...

:confused: