6) On dope track Set Marker Text (at 10) to "qwerty"
["qwerty" now is shown in the status bar (colour is yellow)]
7) Save scene
8) Close layout
9) Open layout
10) Load scene
11) Open Dope Track
12) Notice that the status bar does not show "qwerty"
13) On dope track, Set Marker Text (at 10)
14) Notice that the marker text is empty

If you open the scene file into Notepad, it contains the "qwerty" marker text.

Thanks

evolross
06-11-2008, 10:02 AM
I get the same behavior. I'm using LW64 9.3.1.

Weetos
06-11-2008, 12:41 PM
Confirmed - LW9.3.1 32bit

The marker label is saved in the scene file though (use a text editor and search for 'DopetrackText'), but it's ignored by Layout

rombust2
06-13-2008, 05:54 AM
I have posted a FogBugz bug report to newtek

rombust2
06-13-2008, 09:36 AM
The bug is worse than i first thought.

If at stage 10 (load the scene), you simply save the scene without doing anything ... the DopetrackText1 line in the scene file is no longer there.

Unfortunately i need the dope sheet!!! ... i'm not sure what to do now

Scazzino
06-13-2008, 10:21 AM
Confirmed... further testing shows that marker text worked in reloaded scenes in LW8.5, but that it's broken in LW9.0+.

Dope Track markers probably haven't been used all that much since the implementation is extremely limited and inflexible. You can only see the marker text when on the same frame as the marker, and you can't edit or move markers, or marker text without deleting and recreating them. So markers & marker text are good ideas, but with a crippled implementation.

A much better implementation of marker text can be found in Macromedia (Adobe now) Director's score comments. They are all displayed inline directly in the score. They can be freely added, edited and moved directly in the score by simply clicking on them. There are even navigation features for markers with a popup list to jump to any marker as well as forward/back buttons to step through all the markers. Now if LightWave could implement markers/labels like that, they'd be VERY useful. They should also work in both the Dope Track & the Dope Sheet...

Scazzino
06-13-2008, 10:28 AM
Since Keyframes are much more flexible than markers in LightWave, one trick that I often use is to add a "marker null" and place it at the top of the list in the New Scene Editor. Then I'll make dummy keyframes on the Marker Null in the dope sheet. I use these as timing markers in the dope sheet. Since they are real keyframes, they have the added flexibility of keyframes, they can be easily repositioned by simply dragging around as I'm working out my timing during animating in the dope sheet.

:D

rombust2
06-17-2008, 07:34 AM
The FogBugz ticket was closed, so i assume that it has been fixed on the next version of Lightwave :)