PDA

View Full Version : Worth the Detour

MooseDog
06-10-2008, 09:58 PM
Take a look at these. Here are some people who understand lighting and composition:

B&W Photography (http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/06/09/beautiful-black-and-white-photography/)

Weepul
06-10-2008, 10:13 PM
Worth a look yes, but two things in the commentary immediately made me shake my head...

...in black-and-white designs the ability to stand out depends only on its ability to communicate rather than on its appealing visual presentation.
False.

The photo presented below, although in black and white, is both extremely sharp and clear. To achieve such level of clarity in black and white is extremely hard.
:confused: This seems to imply "more so than with color film/media", which would news to me.

adamredwoods
06-11-2008, 12:52 AM
Smashing Magazine is eye candy-- I dont hold to high design regards-- but they have some nice finds one in a while. It reminds me more of a Cosmo magazine (Top 10 ways to tell if your BF is cheating on you...).

Steamthrower
06-11-2008, 06:30 AM
I don't get the Woman of Tibet. Realism at it's best tag line (seems like filler text to me) but some of those photos are outstanding.

Nice to look through!

MooseDog
06-11-2008, 07:52 AM
agreed about the editorial content. mostly bunk. just wanted to share the images, under the rubrique of my original assertion: here are artists who understand lighting and shadows.

as to the magazine itself adam, i have no problem with an operation that tries to popularize good design, stressing tries:), if that helps move even more people to a better understanding, even if it's just a jumping off point.

Jim_C
06-11-2008, 10:02 AM
The one with the guy leaping from the building with the birds around him has to be Pshopped right? Ya think?

Isn't that kinda cheating?

Andyjaggy
06-11-2008, 10:02 AM
Some nice images with some typical "I went to art school and can talk all artsy fartsy" dialog by it.

Steamthrower
06-11-2008, 10:17 AM
Well, Andy, I do appreciate the depth and feeling conveyed by motion which passes a concept of inner life through clear, contrasting mental images.

Andyjaggy
06-11-2008, 10:18 AM
you mean you like pretty images?

CAClark
06-11-2008, 10:20 AM
There's much photodshoppery going on there, but that's all part of the process, and shouldn't be deemed a bad things IMO.

Cheers!