PDA

View Full Version : New to Plugin Dev

kokanga
06-10-2008, 06:56 PM
So I am brand new to Lightwave plugin development and I'm trying to get started with things. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a lot of recent information out there about Lightwave plugin creation.

I've tried to follow the simple begginer tutorials provided with the SDK (the box plugin), but the problem is none of them were made for Visual Studio 2005. Now I know it should be a simple matter to transfer from one IDE to another, but I've hit a bit of a road block.

My plugin compiles just fine. And as far as I can tell, I have set up everything in my IDE for the Lightwave environment like it says to do in the tutorials (Pre-processor definitions, include directories, executable path, and I've included the necessary server files servmain.c, shutdown.c, startup.c, and username.c). The actual plugin code is simply copy-pasted from the tutorial itself. Once I compile and try to add the plugin in Modeler though, Modeler tells me there are no plugins in the .p file. The exact error message is below:

"Cannot load external plug-in file <...box\debug\box.p>."

and then:

"0 Plug-ins found in 1 files."

Anyway, I'm sure that I am missing something painfully simple but this is one of those things you just can't see until someone points it out to you. I'm sure someone must have seen this before. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jameswillmott
06-10-2008, 08:40 PM
Did you set the Module Definition File to point to serv.def?

(Properties->Linker->Input)

kokanga
06-11-2008, 12:37 AM
As a matter of fact I didn't.

I haven't had a lot of DLL experience so this is all a little new. I didn't realize that was a setting I had to make in the project properties as the tutorial didn't really describe it (it just says add the file serv.def, which, funny enough, didn't do much for me), but I suppose I should have read the "Exported Variable" section on the "Compiling LightWave Plug-ins" page :P .

The LightWave community lives up to its reputation of being helpful (even for a noob question)! Thanks a lot for the quick reply James.

jameswillmott
06-11-2008, 12:47 AM
You're welcome for the advice, I got caught the same way when I first started doing plugins. :)