PDA

View Full Version : Switch to LightWave?

dfrancefort
06-10-2008, 01:52 PM
My company currently uses Carrara 6.2 for making sample glass display cases, etc (typically with clear bottles with labels), but render times are downright horrible (24-28 hours) on a Intelbased G5 with 4gb RAM. Also, we are looking for another 3D person and unfortunately no one that we have seen uses Carrara. Question is how are the render times? and can you have a render farm that is PC based but the computer we design on is MAC based? Overall learning curve on the product vs Carrara if you have used both.

Thank you for any insights!!!!

Steamthrower
06-10-2008, 02:01 PM
downright horrible (24-28 hours)....Question is how are the render times?

I haven't seen your renders, but I do know that when using the proper settings, scenes with a lot of glass and reflection can take anywhere from 5 minutes to 10 hours (all depends on your scene, resolution, and surfaces). Most of my project renders will take an hour or two (for an HD size frame).

no one that we have seen uses Carrara.

I'm seeing less and less professionals as well.

can you have a render farm that is PC based but the computer we design on is MAC based?

Yes, you can have up to 999 nodes, cross-platform.

Overall learning curve on the product vs Carrara if you have used both.

Never used Carrara in a project (just the trial version) and LW is definitely harder to grasp. BUT...you get what you pay for, and the time spent learning is worth it.

JBT27
06-10-2008, 02:03 PM
I don't know if there's a Mac trial version, but have you looked at the trial page? Having a go may also answer first-hand some of your questions :)

Julian.

manholoz
06-10-2008, 02:40 PM
And look at the free learning videos, there's one specifically made that deals with glass and stuff.

jasonwestmas
06-10-2008, 03:08 PM
Lightwave's renderer has recieved a major overhaul, not perfect but really is fast. For stills, it's one of the best!

adamredwoods
06-10-2008, 07:24 PM
I have used Carrara a little. I really like the interface, but it is lacking on features.

Lightwave is cross-platform. Additionally, render nodes are included.
It is a wise purchase, but it requires dedication to grasp the product, but no different than any other 3D software. Carraras rooms are similar to the Layout/Modeler division. Materials window is in both, and the render is Layout only.

Cinema4D may also be something to look at. It is cross-platform and has a great interface. Similar to Carrara. Very fast renderer. But the advanced render costs more money, which you'll need.