PDA

View Full Version : quick particle question

monovich
06-10-2008, 12:22 PM
Hello,

I need to create a bunch of particles that emit from an object's vertices and follow the vertices they are birthed from as the emitting object moves and deforms. The particles would be used with FX Linker to create clones of an object.

Is this possible?

I guess I could do something like this with HD instance, but I don't own it and don't want to spend the $$ at the moment.

Thanks,

SF

serge
06-11-2008, 05:46 AM
I've tried it, but can't get the particles to follow the exact path of the vertex (they will always move a little). I got close by using Sticky-collision-mode and high Fix-power on the deforming object. Also you need to save a MDD of the deformed object before calculating the particles to make it work better. But still they won't stick perfectly.

So, if this is not an option then you might be stuck by baking a path for each vertex and have the objects follow the baked paths (which isn't funny if you need a lot of objects).

serge
06-11-2008, 03:43 PM
Hmmm, this might be something. Since you want to use objects through FX-linker I take it that you don't necessarily need particles; you just want cloned objects attached to the vertices of the deforming object, correct?
If so, then Dpont's node editor "Item Motion" plus the "Point Info" node (part of the DP-Kit) should do the trick.

Quick explanation:
Apply "Item Motion" (in motion options) for the object you want to be cloned, and open it. Choose the "Point Info" node and open it. Choose the deforming object and for "Point Index" write "1" (which is vertex number 1). Attach output wPos (world position) to the input "Position". The object should now be attached and move along with the vertex 1 of the deforming object.
Now, if you clone the object all the clones will have the same settings except that they get a following "Point Index" number, so each clone will be attached to the next vertex.

P.S. The motion of the cloned objects might not seem to be updated correctly when you move the timeslider, but that's just in preview. The render should be okay.

monovich
06-12-2008, 05:08 PM
thanks for the help serge. I actually just broke down and bough HD Instance. It had me up and running in ten minutes doing exactly what I wanted. Sometimes its worth the money to save the time.