PDA

View Full Version : New LightWave Trial Page - Good Work NT!

Matt
06-09-2008, 04:42 PM
It's been a while coming, but good work on the new LightWave trial page guys!

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/lwtrial/

Definitely an improvement over what was there before! ;)

lardbros
06-09-2008, 04:47 PM
Yeah, too right... i saw that the other week and smiled. Done a very good job on this and the new challenge idea!

Hope the site is streamlined and some of the older stuff put to one side and forgotten!

The gallery needs updating with some nice new work. Can't say there isn't any coz i see some new stuff everyday in this place!

JeffrySG
06-09-2008, 10:05 PM
^^Agreed, on the nice demo page! :)

meatycheesyboy
06-09-2008, 11:06 PM
Nice, but I have one complaint.

The drop down menu on some pages apparently uses different code than the drop downs on other pages.

For example, the menu at http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/ works correctly in Opera but the menu at http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/lwtrial/ is broken in Opera.

Seems like a weird inconsistency, seems like it would either work site wide or it would be broken site wide.

Lewis
06-10-2008, 02:01 AM
It's GREAT to see that finally we have TRIAL of Latest LW version. Gret work NT, just keep it fresh with new versions in future also :).

BeeVee
06-10-2008, 06:21 AM
There is no difference between the trial version and the version you update your LightWave with. Seriously, everyone should try the trial edition for themselves to see its limitations (none, apart from commercial plugins that need a dongle) and features.

B

vashts
06-10-2008, 08:47 AM
Definitively yes, that is one of the best (new) webpages in LW9 website. The only "problem" is that it's (rightly) based on LW9 theme, that isn't (for me) a good one..
I hope the LW10 theme will be much better :thumbsup:

vashts

Matt
06-10-2008, 09:24 AM
Actually, if I'm nitpicking, I don't think the Dice tutorial should be on the front page, William has done much better videos than that one.

I realise it's a beginner tute and all, but surely we can do something with a bit more "wow" to it?

meatycheesyboy
06-10-2008, 10:38 AM
In case the web dev people look a this forum, here are pictures of what I see on the two pages I listed above when I roll over the Product button at the top in Opera 9.27.

Yay for cross browser compatability!

Steamthrower
06-10-2008, 12:49 PM
I realise it's a beginner tute and all, but surely we can do something with a bit more "wow" to it?

"Recreate 300 in LightWave in Four Easy Steps" would be a better video to put on the front page.

pumeco
06-10-2008, 01:26 PM
That's the first time the LightWave Trial has been up (as far as I'm aware) since before I bought LightWave - so it's got to be an improvement over 'no' trial at all.

I'll be honest, and I won't be lickin' no boots here; I still don't think NewTek understand how their product comes accross to people who have 'never' used it before. People will still download LightWave and ditch it before they even give it a chance.

If they did things the other way 'round it wouldn't happen so much. I think NewTek needs to get the tutorials into the customers hands BEFORE they get hold of LightWave itself. There are two very obvious advantages to this: They will already have a basic idea of how it works and won't get so frustrated on initial use, and they could actually look forward to trying out what they just learnt (they will 'learn' to love LightWave).

It's just my opinion I know, but I think the way they're doing it right now is absolutely pathetic. Reason being; the current method makes it far too easy to get the product and not bother with the tutorial downloads. Which in turn will probably mean the 'potential' customer will give up. If it was done the other way around, that can't happen because they already have a good idea of what to do before they get it.

Get it? :)

bobakabob
06-10-2008, 02:48 PM
Good work Newtek. However there should be a vibrant content file to accompany the app. I work with young students who have IT skills, have a keen interest in games and are willing to learn about Lightwave. So the inclusion of the free video training is a good step. However the first thing they would see on opening Lightwave is an empty grey window with a floating camera. Hardly inspiring. Think of Blender which opens with a boring grey box which you can't do anything with at first - enough to put many off 3D for life. Of course Lightwave is not a toy - but why not include an animatable character and / or some mech scenes for the 'wow' factor?

Cageman
06-10-2008, 02:48 PM
One nitpick here...

We have the Community demoreel, we have a tutorial...

Where is the pro demoreel? (the one that can be seen at NewTek TV for example)?

Cageman
06-10-2008, 03:01 PM
Hehe.. looking at my previous post I may come across as an a-hole! :) *lol*

Of course, as everybody else have said: Well done with the Trial-page!!!! I would also like to see this trial-page STAY and not being removed.. ;)

andrew_y
06-10-2008, 08:16 PM
hey.. cool, Im glad ya guys like it.

The drop down menu on some pages apparently uses different code than the drop downs on other pages.

Im running I think v9. somethingorother in Opera, (at work) and it appears ok, however, I will take a bit of time to investigate this tomorrow. I cannot say it'll be fixed asap, due to other priorities, but know it'll be looked into.

Currently, there are no plans to 86 the trial page. :thumbsup: