PDA

View Full Version : Mac Dot Com (Mobile Me) users?

Chilton
06-09-2008, 03:51 PM
Hi,

Apple recently introduced a new web service (MobileMe). Dot Mac users will automatically get upgraded to the new service in July.

I'm curious how this affects our users (you'll find out why, soon).

-Chilton

rakker16mm
06-09-2008, 06:25 PM
Hmmmm.... Very cryptic indeed. I voted "on the fence" because in the short term having a dot mac account depends on being able to afford several other purchases first. I am sure I will get one eventually.

Lightwolf
06-09-2008, 07:41 PM
I get most of the syncing for free with Oper 9.5... and it also supports neither Opera nor Firefox/Thunderbird. I'm clearly not the target group ;)

Cheers,
Mike

eblu
06-09-2008, 08:39 PM
i got it originally for the .mac email addy.
but I use thew ilife stuff for my down and dirty web galleries, and every time i upgrade my os I use the sync to migrate the user account.

I have never been anything but happy with dot mac.

JeffrySG
06-09-2008, 10:07 PM
Don't really have any interest in it. To me the Microsoft exchange server and VPN stuff is much more important for work.

wellsichris
06-09-2008, 11:39 PM
Chilton,

So let's hope the cryptic message means. a screamernet controller for the mobile me. well one that could interface with the controller so as to reorder scenes reset nodes, check status, etc but from the iphone, Native app, or from any machine for that matter, that would be lots of fun. :)

Darth Mole
06-10-2008, 01:19 AM
I probably shouldn't let the cat out of the bag but, well, I believe Chilton has prepared a version of LW that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch. Every time you make a change to your scene or model, this is updated via mobileMe to versions of LW running on your home Mac, your iPhone or your work PC (where LW is running in a browser, obviously).

Very exciting!

BazC
06-10-2008, 01:42 AM
I have a .Mac account.

dsol
06-10-2008, 05:24 AM
I've had a .mac account before, which was being paid for by a company I worked with. I didn't bother renewing it though this year. I don't use apple's Mail or iCal - preferring Entourage, so the benefits of .mac are seriously limited. That might change though... Mmmmmm 3G iPhone

SP00
06-10-2008, 05:56 AM
i'm only getting it because, i'm a freelancer that needs an iPhone. If you don't have an iPhone the service is not worth it imo.

Weepul
06-10-2008, 03:50 PM
Have .mac, on the fence about renewing (I have a while yet). I don't use any of the Mac-specific features (syncing or anything like that) plus I don't anticipate using any of the new web apps besides the webmail which I already use and find adequate; for me it's just preserving my email address + having web space + it's quite reliable and fast. Without any user-accessible server-side abilities (eg. PHP) it's actually less useful for me than cheaper, similarly-reliable web hosting services (though 20 GB storage/200 GB monthly transfer for $99/yr is pretty good).

In the end though, I'm dragging my feet when it comes to having to change the email address I've been using for the past several years. :p

Steamthrower
06-10-2008, 04:12 PM
I would subscribe, though it's hard for me to get rid of the "angelfire" and "geocities" that pop into my head when I see a .mac website. And I wouldn't use the Sync function. I used a Treo for a while, dumped it, and got a single Razr...it will sync contacts and calendar and photos, which is all I need it for.

SP00
06-10-2008, 06:37 PM
Can I setup a personal domain to setup my e-mail address? I know you can assign a domain for a website, but if they don't support it for e-mail too. I won't be eager to replace my webhost with .mac or mobileme account.

eblu
06-11-2008, 06:07 AM
spoo,
dotmac/mobileme is not really in competition with webHost services. its aimed at Not terribly savy webusers and people who don't want to be bothered with the details. You sound like you need more personal control than is offered in dotmac/mobileme.

so uh, no, I don't see any way you could setup your own personal email domain.

Matt
06-11-2008, 06:22 AM
Speaking of Keynotes, I see they never got around to talking about MacOSX as promised at the start. May has well been called:

WWIDC2008 - World Wide IPhone Developer Conference! That's all they talked about!

jeremyhardin
06-11-2008, 06:47 AM
I bought my wife a .mac a few years back and just didn't use it, but I think I'll get a family account if the new service ends up as useful as it claims.

Haven1000
06-11-2008, 07:17 AM
Lots of people out there with failing iPhones, if you read the non Apple-censored venues. "Quality" as usual from Apple.

LOL, any chance to get a dig in, Neverko you better be careful or you'll start to get a reputation as a troll.

Anyway back on-topic I used to have a dot-mac account which I only really used for iweb, before I moved everything over to a private domain. Personally I can't really see a reason to re-subscribe unless there is a compelling new feature which I cant live without.

BazC
06-11-2008, 09:10 AM
Speaking of Keynotes, I see they never got around to talking about MacOSX as promised at the start. May has well been called:

WWIDC2008 - World Wide IPhone Developer Conference! That's all they talked about!

Agreed! What little I've heard about Snow Leopard doesn't sound particularly enticing either, no new features just optimisation! Unless it shows a staggering efficiency increase I don't think I'll be upgrading. Unless maybe they pull out all the stops on OGL and GFX drivers.

jeremyhardin
06-11-2008, 09:25 AM
It's par for the course for the first appearance of a new OS to be optimisation. The "300+ new features" fun is a bit closer to the release with both windows and osx.

BlueApple
06-11-2008, 09:30 AM
I'm on the fence.

I plan on getting a new iPhone when they come out, as the $200/$300 price is more reasonable for me than the previous cost. MobileMe seems attractive in a lot of ways, but not necessary. If there is some cool LightWave related integration on the horizon I may be swayed...

SP00
06-12-2008, 06:50 AM
Agreed! What little I've heard about Snow Leopard doesn't sound particularly enticing either, no new features just optimisation! Unless it shows a staggering efficiency increase I don't think I'll be upgrading. Unless maybe they pull out all the stops on OGL and GFX drivers.

From the information floating around, some of the optimization are intel macs only and it centers around easy implementation of multi-core cpu support, which is big. The other is a new OpenCL stand that will give developers access to the GPU that normally is calculated by the CPU. This potentially means that Snow Leopard will be a multitude faster than Leopard when the software are optimized for it.

SP00
06-12-2008, 06:50 AM
spoo,
dotmac/mobileme is not really in competition with webHost services. its aimed at Not terribly savy webusers and people who don't want to be bothered with the details. You sound like you need more personal control than is offered in dotmac/mobileme.

so uh, no, I don't see any way you could setup your own personal email domain.

Darn, not happy about that, wish they could make that easy too.

BazC
06-12-2008, 01:49 PM
From the information floating around, some of the optimization are intel macs only and it centers around easy implementation of multi-core cpu support, which is big. The other is a new OpenCL stand that will give developers access to the GPU that normally is calculated by the CPU. This potentially means that Snow Leopard will be a multitude faster than Leopard when the software are optimized for it.

Yup I take your points! However the software I use already support multiple cores very well so while that will make developers lives a little easier maybe it probably won't affect me much. The idea of using the graphics card as a super fast cpu (have I understood that correctly?) is nice too but Mac OGL performance is still behind Windows so I'm not sure I want my graphics card hijacked for CPU duties :D Of course if I can add extra GFX cards as a sort of CPU upgrade that might be cool!

I'm not saying Snow Leopard isn't a worthwhile development, it's paving the way for future technologies which is great.

JeffrySG
06-12-2008, 02:19 PM
Just out of curiosity, why would someone pay for a me.com account when they could have a gmail address and use picasso and google calander for free and have them all update on all of their devices. They also all run on the iphone. All for free...

...am I missing something?

Ryhnio
06-12-2008, 03:42 PM
Are we going to be running Lightwave off our iDisk so we can easily use it with any mac we have?

Just bring your dongle (JBYD)!

-Ry

On a side note:

''Hello Ryhnio it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?''

Just thought I would comply!

Chilton
06-12-2008, 05:13 PM
Hi Ryhnio,

Are we going to be running Lightwave off our iDisk so we can easily use it with any mac we have?

Just bring your dongle (JBYD)!

That already works--it was among the Mac specific requirements we built into the UB version.

I have something far more insidious in mind now. :devil:

-Chilton

RonGC
06-12-2008, 06:18 PM
Been using dot.Mac since it came out. Will renew, use it for syncing, web galleries, web sites , mail, the works. very happy with the service.

Ron

JeffrySG
06-12-2008, 07:11 PM
I have something far more insidious in mind now. :devil:
-Chilton

A slim version of modeler that we can run on the iPhone???!!!!!
:D :D :D

dsol
06-13-2008, 04:26 AM
Given the power of the iPhone compared to a PC from just 5-10 years ago, I reckon an iPhone version of LW isn't outside the bounds of possibility. I bet there will some kind of 3D content creation apps released for it regardless. Organic sculpting could be quite natural with a touch screen :)

Ryhnio
06-13-2008, 05:10 PM
How much longer do we have to waiT!?

BlueApple
07-31-2008, 02:55 PM
I've heard that there have been some performance problems with mobileMe recently. Anyone want to chime in with their personal experiences?

RonGC
07-31-2008, 05:26 PM
Haven't had any problems with the service. My only disappointment is the gallery implementation is not as adjustable for different viewing options as the old Dot-Mac setup was.

Ron

Chilton
07-31-2008, 07:39 PM
Hi,

I've had substantial problems with it, but I also have a LOT of unread emails, due to the number of mailing lists I'm on. So I am somewhat forgiving of the situation in my case. But it seems to work well enough today.

-Chilton

BazC
08-01-2008, 06:12 AM
The mail sever has been down a couple of times for me, but nothing major. Incidentally they added a free month to my account because of teething troubles, pretty good of them I thought!

eblu
08-01-2008, 08:15 AM
the only trouble I've had was that for 1 day my mail.app couldn't access my mail.
me dot com worked just fine. it was a surprisingly mild transition for me.

Largemedium
08-07-2008, 01:29 PM
It's hard for me to justify a .mac account when I already have a webhost account that gives me plenty space/transfer. If I had an iPhone, I might see it differently... but for now, I'll just keep sitting on this fence.

hisham
08-11-2008, 05:16 AM
I have had .Mac now Mobile Me (don't really like the naming though) for more than 3 years and I must say, it does work for me. It has several untold good secrets and is well tied up with the iLife applications. Of course if you are not using the Ilife apps, well that part goes, but you can effectively use the iDisk for other usages. Sometimes you get some freebies too, but the main advantage as mention in the thread somewhere is the sync and VPN. Though corporate companies (MS ex) can make full use of this, mortal users like me still can sync in an easy way. All in all, it is quite useful, especially for iLife core users ...