PDA

View Full Version : recent work

M-X
06-09-2008, 03:18 PM
I thought I would upload a recent project as I have not posted for a while. Rendered in lightwave. Feed back welcomed as ever.

Scazzino
06-10-2008, 11:26 AM
Nice job! :thumbsup:

The pillars in the courtyard look a little strange though. Since they aren't casting shadows on the ground, they almost look like they are just pasted on the image. Same with the tree... the shadows look like a flat plane, rather than a tree with volume... (if the trees really are just flat cutouts, you can use a horizontal plane with a transparency or clip map to cast better shadows and just make it unseen by camera)

COBRASoft
06-10-2008, 11:55 AM
The light angle on the white construction looks different than the other things in the scene. It looks like a composition to me of 2 different images. The light angle and shadows are too wrong.

M-X
06-10-2008, 03:22 PM
Ok, rumbled! I turned the casting shadows off on the structure as the client thought they were creating to much visual confusion on the floor and preferred a cleaner look. The tree is just an image with a clip map.
I will have another bash at the lighting on the structure/shadows when I get a chance.
Thanks.

Hopper
06-10-2008, 05:37 PM
Ok, rumbled! I turned the casting shadows off on the structure as the client thought they were creating to much visual confusion on the floor and preferred a cleaner look. The tree is just an image with a clip map.
I will have another bash at the lighting on the structure/shadows when I get a chance.
Thanks.
Yes, the first thing I noticed was the missing shadows. Couldn't you simply turn the shadow color to a lighter grey (or "correct" blue) so that they are very subtle? If it were slightly overcast, they would be just a grey blur no?

Nangleator
06-30-2008, 11:39 AM
Or create an occlusion map. Set up a UV map on the ground. Create a new scene with just floor and structure. Bake that occlusion map into the UV map of the ground.

Pavlov
06-30-2008, 01:19 PM
Very nice work.
Beside shadows, Lw has a tendency to give "greysh" results in bounced lights, so i usually raise sun and sky saturation to get more color richness. Maybe some more light saturation is needed here too.

Paolo