PDA

View Full Version : Storm Question

jpleonard
06-08-2008, 06:43 PM
Any one here able to give me some pointers for making convincing lightening bolts for a storm scene? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jpleonard
06-08-2008, 07:26 PM
I just downloaded the plugin from Flay. Thanks for the info.

adamredwoods
06-08-2008, 10:58 PM
One quick idea:

Lightning grows, usually from the ground up. Maybe 2-3 frames. So create some white with blue glow lightning frames in photoshop and cycle them as an animation in Lightwave. Set the animations to flat cards that always face the camera. Vary it up for multiple lightning.

Glow your clouds from behind. Keep the light short.

jpleonard
06-09-2008, 02:28 AM
I can get good lightening, but I want the light from it to show on the clouds generated by sky tracer 2. I haven't had any luck getting it to show on the clouds. I have one light in the scene SKT_Sun used as the moon and it influences the clouds. I've added other lights and tried, but they don't seem to have any influence on the color of the clouds when the lightening strikes. Would I have to go into sky tracer and use the envelope to set the color of the clouds to be animated in sync with the lightening strike?

Surrealist.
06-09-2008, 03:52 AM
I think that is because it is a pixel filter. It is not actually geometry. I am not sure what the workaround for that is. Old school would be be to make a layer of clouds from geometry.

mattclary
06-09-2008, 07:05 AM
I think Dave Jerrard covered this in one of the "Inside LightWave" books. You can just use a rectangular polygon and the marble texture.

Yes, you heard me right, the marble texture. :thumbsup:

Can't remember the settings, but was pretty easy to do, you could probably figure it out if you poke around with it.

ben martin
06-09-2008, 08:40 AM
Is it something like this that you want?
If it is, just let me know, I'll explain how to do it easy.