PDA

View Full Version : How do I track down unweighted verts?

Springheel
06-08-2008, 02:31 PM
I use Lightwave 8.0 to make character models for a mod team. I occasionally get an error during the export to md5mesh process, where I find a vert has not been assigned to a weightmap. It's incredibly tedious to try to manually search through and find which vert is not assigned to a weightmap, but I haven't been able to find an easier way. Does anyone know of a method that would quickly let me find and identify any unweighted verts?

SplineGod
06-08-2008, 03:56 PM
Something like this might allow you to.
http://www.anon.jp/software/wsheet/wsheet_en.html
Another way is to use the move tool, set the falloff to weightmap.
Select each weight map and use the move tool. The point(s) that dont
move dont have that weight map assigned to it.

Sekhar
06-08-2008, 04:13 PM
Or use "select by map" (under display/selection).

SplineGod
06-08-2008, 07:42 PM
I dont know that select by map will work in this case since the point in question doesnt have a weight map. A weight map of zero isnt the same as having no weight map.

Sekhar
06-08-2008, 08:38 PM
Yeah, but you could select all points first and deselect the weighted points using select by map. Or pick up the weighted points using select by map and then select the inverse. Unless you mean something else...

Surrealist.
06-08-2008, 09:10 PM
I use Lightwave 8.0 to make character models for a mod team. I occasionally get an error during the export to md5mesh process, where I find a vert has not been assigned to a weightmap. It's incredibly tedious to try to manually search through and find which vert is not assigned to a weightmap, but I haven't been able to find an easier way. Does anyone know of a method that would quickly let me find and identify any unweighted verts?

If you have bones in it already using a polygonal version of the object just move the root and the feet back a few feet in layout, depending on how the IK is set up this should move the whole model back leaving the unassigned points in place. If you save trans object and load it up then put it in a bg layer the mesh will point right to your culprit points.

Giacomo99
06-14-2008, 05:04 PM
Possibly OT, but there's a plugin called CombineWeights which allows the user to perform Boolean "add" and "subtract" operations on weightmaps. I've found it to be incredibly useful in resolving the kind of problem you describe.

The CombineWeights plugin is available on the CD of Jonny Gorden's "Lightwave Cartoon Character Creation, Vol.2," (I have the 2005 edition) and is well worth the purchase price of the book.