PDA

View Full Version : Questions for people runing Windows on their Macs

JeffrySG
06-08-2008, 11:41 AM
Hi all!

I need to install Windows (XP) on my MacPro as I need to be running some CAD software for work. (It's IronCAD if anyone is interested) I just wanted to know if anyone who is running bootcamp can throw out any advice for someone who hasn't run bootcamp on their Mac yet? If there is anything that you wish you knew before started the installation I'd love to hear. Once I have Windows installed I might try to run LW on it as well as it couldn't hurt to have the option to use some of the Windows only plugins out there.

I know I'll have to upgrade to 10.5 first. I have the ATIX1900 video card, anyone have any issues with it and bootcamp?

I know this is a pretty general question but I had a feeling I might get some good info from everyone here. I'll be reading up on Bootcamp at the Apple site (http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/) shortly as well.

Thanks for any help and advice on this!

archijam
06-08-2008, 11:52 AM
Just go for it.

The only question (IMHO) is how much harddrive space you want to 'give to windows' ..

The windows directory on mine is 3 gig, and you should always keep at least a few gig free (or 15%) to ensure it runs fine.

I gave 15 gig and still run into space problems, but I have Rhino, ArcGIS, Acad, and a game or two ;) so that'll do it ...

Have had no dongle issues with win/mac LW etc, works fine between each OS.

Kuzey
06-08-2008, 02:03 PM
I just installed XP a few days ago pretty easy process overall. I set my partition to 32GB because there was a button with 32 GB on it :D

Make sure the size of the partition isn't too small...because the only way to change it afterwards is to delete it and start all over.

Kuzey

4dartist
06-08-2008, 04:15 PM
Installed XP on it's own 750GB hd on our Macpro with the ati x1900. No problems so far with 3dsmax in xp and lw in OSx. Haven't tried LW on xp yet though, although im eager to. We just used xp pro 32bit. I wanted to try vista 64 but already had a copy of xp-pro sitting around so i just used that.

JeffrySG
06-08-2008, 09:46 PM
Thanks guys! I appreciate the input. :) Speaking of partition sizes, did you all use FAT or NTFS for the formatting option?

I was reading this on the FAQ:

During installation, the Microsoft Windows installer asks me to format the Windows partition using NTFS or FAT. Which should I use?

If the partition is 32 GB or smaller, you can use either FAT or NTFS. If it's larger than 32 GB, then you can only format it using NTFS. Mac OS X can read and write FAT volumes, but only read NTFS volumes. Refer to the Microsoft Windows documentation if you are not sure which best suits your needs.

If you use the NTFS is there a easy way to share files between the two OSes?

meshpig
06-09-2008, 04:01 AM
You can get xp files to osx with the mounted disc after a boot, then there's vmfusion or parallels which are just emulators so you can interact with XP concurrently. Not much use for any calls on OpenGL though.

LW runs normally on bootcamp, at least 9.2 does.

m

Kuzey
06-09-2008, 04:44 AM
I went with Fat...I think, what ever was the default setting.

However, I read somewhere that if you had an additional (blank) partition with NTFS formatting, you could transfer files between both volumes that way. Not tested btw.

I use a usb stick for now...nice and easy :hey:

There's one problem I'm having and that's syncing the system time between the two, when I boot back into OS X from XP the time is off by an hour or two...but I'll get there.

Kuzey

LastofTheLarrys
06-09-2008, 08:39 AM
Just format with NTFS and get a copy of MacDrive from MediaFour for $50. It will allow XP to read/write to Mac volumes.

miguel_dthings
06-09-2008, 08:41 AM
Just so you know, you don't actually need to upgrade to Leopard to intall windows alongside OS X. You can resize your Macintosh HD partition from Tiger (using diskutil command) or by booting the Leopard install disk (easier). Then use the Leopard install disk from windows to install the drivers.

JeffrySG
06-09-2008, 10:09 PM
Just format with NTFS and get a copy of MacDrive from MediaFour for $50. It will allow XP to read/write to Mac volumes.

that looks very cool! thx for the software recommendation!

JeffrySG
06-09-2008, 10:11 PM
Just so you know, you don't actually need to upgrade to Leopard to intall windows alongside OS X. You can resize your Macintosh HD partition from Tiger (using diskutil command) or by booting the Leopard install disk (easier). Then use the Leopard install disk from windows to install the drivers.

I didn't know that I could use it on Tiger anymore but I think I'd rather update to Leopard just to know I'm using the latest version of BC and get all the updates that come out on it.

I have a feeling I'll want more than 32GB also so NTFS is my only way to go anyway on the formatting....

wellsichris
06-09-2008, 11:30 PM
Just so you know...

xp 32 doesn't see much memory. i think 2 or 3 gig which is just sad. no matter how much you have. I have a macpro the 2008 version and put xp64 on it. I also at one time put xp64 on the first generation macpro. the biggest problem is finding drivers. but I got everything to work, just had to dig for it. the only thing I didn't ever find was bluetooth drivers. everything else works though.

so for ram 64 is the way to go... but...
mac drive doesn't work under 64/ vista or xp... just not 64 support. so I went fat 32. and did a 32 gig partition. of course osX can read ntfs. it just can't write to it. I wanted to write to it and so i did fat 32.

I have. all the software I use, "lightwave, fusion, syntheyes, adobe production bundle, zbrush, mocha, vue, etc..." and have 7 gigs free so about 23% free. I don't install all the templates,content adobe has so it's been an ideal setup. anyway hopefully that will help you make a decision. I haven't wanted to go to vista, and really like xp64 so it's been a good way to do things. also it's really nice to see all the memory under windows.

Chris

SP00
06-10-2008, 06:15 AM
I have a time capsule connect thru the gigabit port to my macpro. That works pretty well, for smaller type files. For bigger files, you get the slight delay in loading and saving, but I usually drag the whole project folder over at that point. When I'm done, I save it back up. Then switch to Vista 64 when I need 64-bit horse power. works pretty well. I usually use the builtin TC drive for backup only and stuck an external USB HD as my work drive.

BTW, you don't need TC. Any network drive will do, but you might find TC easiest to setup.

JeffrySG
06-10-2008, 07:06 AM
Thx guys...

So, xp32 will only see 2 or 3 GB no matter how much ram you have? I have 4GB in my macpro right now. I think if win sees 3GB I'll be ok though. Would win64 see more of my ram anyway? I don't think I want to be running win64 right now until I see if all the software would be compatible, or is that not an issue.

I'm probably going to be backing up most of my files via my mac, so I think I just might get an external usb drive for those files and it would be a good way to go back and forth if needed. Does win on BC have a problem seeing external USB drives at all?

Steamthrower
06-10-2008, 07:28 AM
Does win on BC have a problem seeing external USB drives at all?

Windows on BC is basically a plain old Windows PC...I haven't had any problems with drivers. In all honesty you could by a Mac, set it up to default to Windows, and never know the difference between your MacBook and a Dell laptop.

JeffrySG
06-10-2008, 08:01 AM
^Thanks.

I had a feeling, but I didn't want to take anything for granted at this point! :)

kopperdrake
06-11-2008, 06:09 PM
Run XP64 Pro here with no major hiccups here. Only issue (I have the same graphics card) is if I have to reboot after the machine's been running a while then I often get a garbled screen - as if the card ca't pump out a decent signal when hot. I leave it for 5 minutes and I can boot into XP again no problem.

Oh - I stuck my install on a separate NTFS formatted drive, I keep all projects on an external server anyway so drive compatibility wasn't an issue for me.

Another problem have is my microphone drivers - I just can't seem to get my mic to work...

hdace
06-20-2008, 10:45 AM
Jeffry- did you ever finish this project? Did you go 32 or 64? I would have gone 64 without a moments thought (which I have done before) but if you went 32 then you should know about the /3GB switch. It is very important to get the ram use up higher. If you need more info reply to this.

Hal

JeffrySG
06-20-2008, 02:00 PM
Jeffry- did you ever finish this project? Did you go 32 or 64? I would have gone 64 without a moments thought (which I have done before) but if you went 32 then you should know about the /3GB switch. It is very important to get the ram use up higher. If you need more info reply to this.

Hal

I'm still in the process. I just upgraded to Leopard, and was in the process of installing bootcamp but kept on getting kernel panic during the partitioning phase. Then I had to keep on re-booting off of the install disc to get back all of the HD space that I lost from the bad partition. Quite a pain. But no data loss.

I'm going to get an external USB2 HD to put my Win partition on. I might do that this coming week.

I'll be installing WinXP Pro 32bit, as I own it already. So, what's the deal with the '3GB switch'??? I'm all ears!

hdace
06-21-2008, 01:19 AM
So, what's the deal with the '3GB switch'?

Firstly I'm surprised to hear about your BC problems. I've loaded it many times on half a dozen intel iMacs, both 32 & 64 version of XP, never had a problem. Still, your solution of loading it onto an external disk sounds okay. BUT I strongly recommend a Firewire drive. USB is too slow for me. Even USB2. And Windows shouldn't have any problem booting from it.

Anyway, about the 3 GB switch, you have to edit the start-up options in system preferences. I'm using "Mac Speak". Here are the PC instructions:

Once you've got Windows happily running, right-click "My Computer" and select Properties. Click Advanced tab. Look down to Start Up & Recovery and click Settings. Click "Edit" in the window that opens. You should get a text document. It should look a little like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S [operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Pro"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Pro with /3GB" /3GB

Your version will only list one operating system and it will not have Pro written after XP. It will not say anything about "/3GB". It might say something about "noexecute" or "fastdetect". That's not important. Whatever is the last item in the line just add one space then the slash and then the 3GB. Nothing else. Hit alt+F4 and then enter to save. Click ok twice to close the panels and you're done.

For you this will add 1 GB to LightWave that you would not have otherwise. For me, since I only have 3GB of ram on my ASUS box, I only get half a gig extra since it needs the last half for the kernal.

More info on these two links:

http://www.vfxpedia.com/index.php?title=FAQ/3GB_Switch

http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2004/08/05/208908.aspx

I'm sure this will save you some hassles. Good luck, Hal

hdace
06-21-2008, 01:26 AM
You know, sometimes I really can be soooo forgetful!! I just remembered that the /3GB switch doesn't work with the Home version of XP (and after all that hard work typing the instructions!). You have to have the Pro version for it to work. With the Home version you will only get 2GB of ram allocated to LW.

You can buy a Pro upgrade for only $89, I think. Well, that might be the educational discount (I have a lot of professor friends here at K-State). But when you get it, believe it or not, it's not really an upgrade on the CD itself (despite what it says on the label). It's a proper full copy that loads from scratch. So I recommend shelling out for the Pro Upgrade. It comes with both the 32 & 64 CDs for the same price! So you might not even have to worry about the 3GB switch if you're willing to part with some dosh. I guess it really depends on how large your scenes tend to be.

Hope I haven't wasted your time.

Hal

kopperdrake
06-22-2008, 10:47 AM
I gave my Bootcamp running XP Pro 64 its own hard drive, just in case anything went bad. Also running an XT1900 ATI card and on start up when I first boot it's fine, and is fine as long as I don't restart the machine. If it's been on for more than 10 minutes and is nice and warm, if I reboot I find that if I boot into OS X all is fine, but if I boot into XP then I get screen garble, as if the card is overheating and can't push the signal out properly. The solution is to leave the machine off for 10 minutes and try again. I've heard of others mentioning this problem.

We've just bought another Mac Pro with the newer ATI card in (the bog standard fare) - but I've no plans to install windows on that one so can't let you know how we get on :)

Good luck!

JeffrySG
06-23-2008, 08:11 AM
Thanks for all the tips guys! I actually do own XP pro, so I'll try that 3GB trick once I get it installed. I ended up just ordering a new internal HD to install Windows onto for my MacPro. This will be my 3rd internal for this machine but it was a lot cheaper than the externals and I didn't really need it to clutter up my desk anymore.

I'm sure I'll be checking this thread after I get everything installed as well!

Thx for the tip re: the X1900 vid card too!

JeffrySG
06-23-2008, 08:12 AM
Hope I haven't wasted your time.
Hal

Not at all... only helped. :)

JeffrySG
06-23-2008, 08:14 AM
Firstly I'm surprised to hear about your BC problems. I've loaded it many times on half a dozen intel iMacs, both 32 & 64 version of XP, never had a problem.

According to some people on the apple discussion boards that have experienced the same thing; it's due to a lot of fragmentation on the HD that I'm trying to partition. I wish Disk Utility had a built in disk defrag tool, but I just decided to go with a new drive anyway. It will be nice to have the extra space on the Windows partition anyway.

hdace
06-23-2008, 08:29 AM
Aaahh, that explains it.

gatz
06-24-2008, 11:48 AM
I was surprised at how simple it was. Installing XP anyway. Configuring took a couple of days. I was new to 10.5 and I spent more time working in XP than Leopard;P The only glitches have been with some older games than crash unless the monitors (notebook + external) are set to mirror.

rg